"ftw" - Live+acoustic - James Nighthawk

• 20 Replies

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 05:52:14 PM »
Two quite different versions of the same song.

The studio version throws my mind back to watching 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show'. For me, it could be a direct descendant from that musical. It's got Richard O'Brien and Americanisms all over it in my ears.

Nothing wrong there - just an observation.

The live (in the studio) version has a totally different acoustic vibe and, as such, evokes a different feel.

My favourite points are the two forced high vocal moments. Like them. Not usual for you.

You have a natural way of singing that (whilst not out of tune) makes me desperately want to sharpen notes for you sometimes! Ronan Keating does it. Rod Stewart does it. Both successful in their own rights but nonetheless, I get that feeling with you guys.

The lyrical content is great. The production great also although I found a couple of drum hits at odds in the studio version (timing-wise) but I feel I must leave these issues of mine on the shelf as you obviously found nothing wrong with the final release and you're the producer as well as writer/performer.

Nice one James,

Alan.

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 10:05:46 PM »
For me this a no-brainer, the live version is way superior imho. Almost  like it is a completely different song. For some reason I did not like the studio version at all. I actually almost found it disturbing to listen to which is strange since it absolutely nothing wrong with it  ???
Anyway, I would not pay to much attention that, after all I heard "so this is Christmas and what have you done" in the first phrase of the first verse as well so it's probably just me loosing it...  ;)

/Johan

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 01:57:41 PM »
Hi James,

This sounds like something that the Beautiful South would have done in their pomp - something like One Last Love Song.
Really good write. The vocal has a great dynamic - to be honest i barely noticed the guitar. This isn't a problem for me - just means you really sold the song, and you can't ask for more than that.

Nice one.

Digger

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 09:46:20 PM »
What brilliant lyrics!

I really like the live version, I think performance-wise it's all there. I love that you let rip at the punch line type bits.

I like that the melody is simple - i wouldn't have said predictable! - I think that keeping it familiar and accessible was a good choice - it works - the lyrics are already complex and the performance is very strong, so I don't think an overly complex melody (or indeed arrangement) is needed.

Really really enjoyed it! You should post more often!  ;D

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 08:12:55 AM »
As all have said, a great professional sound. And as most others I preferred the 'live' version of the song...it seems to go down better without any other embellishment than voice and guitar, but that's by the by. It's the song that counts, and as you say, this can evolve with time.

So, the song itself is well-constructed with a great melody and clever , incisive lyric that works. You said that you'd had mixed feelings from others about the lyric. I don't think anyone can say that it is not a well-built,nicely rounded piece of lyric writing. I suspect that, like me, it just isn't quite their cup of tea. i can appreciate the skill that went into writing it...it's just not my kind of thing!

Somebody I know has a song called 'The Facebook Blues' which needs no further explanation I don't suppose. I feel the same way about that.

Maybe it's just because I'm not 'connected'!!

Anyway, great, classy performance.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 10:13:04 PM »
I really like this song on the album

There are parts of the live version that I prefer - eg I prefer the extra "emotion" in some of the vocal lines where it sounds almost acted - such as the last line

I do think the live version lost something by being slightly slower

The perfect combination for me would be the stripped down version at the same tempo as the studio version to give it a little more "life", whilst retaining the emotion

Both versions are great though and it is a cracking song
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic