konalavadome

Political/Social commentary songs

• 18 Replies

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 06:59:01 PM »
Nice work, pompey!
If you could add the lyrics to your post, too, that would be spectacular.
Just makes it easier to follow for slow-witted dolts like me.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 11:34:45 PM »
Neil is currently working on my Donald Trump song "Legend in his own Mind."

Oldbut yet completed a wonderful "spoken poetry" version of my lyric "In the Name of the Father" a few months ago.  It's one of the best protest songs I've done, thanks mostly to his wonderfully understated music and spoken interpretation. 

Nearly every song I write has an underlying message or dig.  I really don't see a point to a song if it has nothing important to say. 

Even my love songs either jab at sacred cows or have (at least an attempt at) a humorous or sarcastic underlying message about dysfunction or positive reinforcement for functional, balanced attitudes. 

Very few (imo) protest songs can afford to get angry.  You have to remain subtle.  Can't go all "Alex Jones" and expect to keep listeners without offending them. 

That's all I've got.  I'll post a few of my more radical protest songs in the lyrics section. 

www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

JonDavies

• Open Mic
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 04:20:13 PM »
I totally agree with you - with protest songs there's a fine line between brilliance and cringe

This parody by a very young Hugh Laurie sums this up

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 06:36:37 PM »

Very interesting and informative thread…I recently posted a full blown, patchouli oil fuelled protest song - It turned out to be the most protracted writing process for me ever, trying to get the 'feel' right was really difficult.

I actively removed any direct topical references (though they did shape some of the lyrics) but the most difficult thing I found was trying NOT to sound like I was preaching or (ranting!)

Still not sure I succeeded  ::)

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12464.0

Phil
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?