Writers block kind of thing????

• 7 Replies

QueenShaqueesha

• Busker
« on: February 04, 2017, 02:43:35 AM »
Every time I try to write the song I want to write, the lyrics turn to a rant and everything is just inner things I want to say to the person I'm writing about but can't say and I want to write a song that would be able to explain how I feel without actually saying it straight up, but every time I try it doesn't work out, does anyone else feel like this and have anything they do to change the angry things they spew out into good lyrics?

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 10:58:41 AM »
Your problem is you haven't practiced enough, studied enough, listened enough. I think it's a misconception that anybody can just write lyrics , yes you can write words in some sort of verse/chorus structure ,but they aren't necessarily song lyrics, cos they probably don't work in a tune.

My best advice is just to look at the 1000's of lyrics already written , from established acts  ,there easily found on google , and study what they've done. The better ones will have a certain perspective, coming at an everyday subject from an unusual and often engaging angle. Then you might see how someone else went about creating a song, maybe using the same themes you want too.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 11:08:41 AM »
That is great advice from STC, which I agree with 100%

I would say that you have done the hard part and have "written" the lyrics - you have a clear concept and you have written the words to express this concept

The challenge now is to use "songcraft" to turn your words/rant in to "lyrics"

So what are "lyrics"

IMHO I think a lyric is designed to convey a single, simple, message within a song - as you only have around 3/4mins to get this done

Lyrics also use devices called similes and metaphors to make the lyric less "obvious" but connect more with the listener by saying the same old thing in a new and different way

A good example is Bruno Mar's "Grenede" - as well as saying "he would do anything for you" he puts a unique twist by saying he would "catch a grenede for you"

How can you phrase the feelings/emotions of your rant in a new and unique way?

I think doing this simple thing will set you on the right path to writing a great lyric

If you want to post your existing lyric/rant here we can try to give you some ideas as we would have a fresh perspective
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 01:06:05 PM »
Your problem is you haven't practiced enough, studied enough, listened enough. I think it's a misconception that anybody can just write lyrics , yes you can write words in some sort of verse/chorus structure ,but they aren't necessarily song lyrics, cos they probably don't work in a tune.

My best advice is just to look at the 1000's of lyrics already written , from established acts  ,there easily found on google , and study what they've done. The better ones will have a certain perspective, coming at an everyday subject from an unusual and often engaging angle. Then you might see how someone else went about creating a song, maybe using the same themes you want too.

This is such an excellent answer and right to the point.

When that is done may I suggest you also venture into the fine art of poetry, just to see and get a feel of a different aspect of the rich nature that is the english language. Tread lightly though and don't confuse lyrics with poetry. Lyrics can be poetic, but it is not poetry*.

(*most of the time, but hey, rules are made to be broken.)

Oh and write and re-write as much as you possible can. Preferably every day. Good luck!

/Peter

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 03:38:04 PM »
Great advice above.

Here's a simple tool... look for ways to make the words more interesting. For example, instead of saying we drove a car, you might say you rambled along in a yellow El Camino. Simple for sure but so much more information just by adding a little descriptive imagery.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 10:20:04 PM »
First rule.

Have you something to say?

The job is so much easier when you have a point,writing words that rhyme just to fit a song,without any purpose, will sound exactly like it is.

It's about being fired up enough on any topic to be convincing.

Otherwise....you have nothing to say.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 06:33:09 AM »
I swear by www.objectwriting.com : this really helps when feeling stodgy. You won't get many usable lyrics out of it (that's not the point) but you'll really open your mind to different ways of describing things.

JonDavies

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 04:15:13 PM »
There are a few approaches I think you could try

First approach: look through your rants and find one or two lines that you really like - this will be your hook. This line is normally best placed at the end of the chorus, so start thinking about some more lines that could build up to it - once you've done this, you've written your chorus. Now build your verses, which can be either the hardest or easiest part depending on the song.

Second approach: Make the music first, if you play guitar just start jamming out a riff or chord progression. Play it over and over until it's automatic, and then just start humming melodies over the top. After a while start singing the odd word of isolated line - don't worry too much about meaning at this stage, you're just jamming. You can always fine tune the lyrics later.

Third approach: Write the lyrics first, figure out the meaning later. By this I mean just try playing with words to find a clever or powerful line that can become a hook.

I would also recommend closely listening to lots of music, especially artists known for their lyrics. I don't know what your tastes are but Simon and Garfunkel, Ed Sheeran, Pink Floyd, Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley, Bob Dylan and John Lennon are all excellent lyricists. Really think about how the lines are arranged, the rhyming pattern and on which words the emphasis lies.

As a final piece of advice, try writing first about topics that aren't as personal - a slight detachment from the song you're writing can help hone your songwriting skills. I know when I was starting out, any song I wrote that I had any emotional connection too was basically a mindless scribble on the page. Write some generic love song or something.

Hope this helped