Political/Social commentary songs

• 18 Replies

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« on: October 27, 2014, 03:35:33 PM »
I, for one, find these to be exceedingly difficult to write; at least, difficult to write a good one. It is so hard to try to say something meaningful, without coming off as preachy or condescending. Even some of the "classics" don't get it right all the time, and find it too easy to fall back on pontification and cliché.

Here comes a bit of sacrilege for you:
"Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" by Marvin Gaye
A brilliant song, but I still cringe every time that I hear it. Especially where he is pleading for "the children."
Ugh!

"Ohio" by CSNY
Where David Crosby starts screaming, "How many more?!"
Okay, so I can deal with this one a little bit more than I used to be able to. I get it: that is was written and recorded in the heat of the moment, and that the passion is genuine. But that does not mean that it has aged well. At least that part of the song.

Generally, I go by the rule of: show don't tell.
Tell a story that gets the point across, without actually getting in folks' faces. I think that it's not only more listenable, but also gets the point across better in the long run.

How about you all? Do you wrote protest-type songs? How do you handle it?
I've only written one or two (and will not post them here, just yet, at risk of making the thread about me). But, how about you? What are your thoughts about what works best -- from a songwriting point of view and from a communication point of view.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
Ooh good thread! :)

Personally, I really like political songs, (caveat: provided they are good, that is). I'm not a massive fan of Billy Brag or the 'protest song' movement (whatever that is).

But, quite a few of my songs full under this umbrella, and I can think of some real corkers from big recording artists just off the top of my head:
Living for the City by Stevie Wonder
Sign O The Times by Prince
Anything by Rage against the machine, most notably killing in the name ;)
Hell Broke Luce by Tom Waits

I could probably think of many more if I put my mind to it. But I also agree with your 'show don't tell' rule - but I would say it applies to all writing, not just songs, and not just social commentary. The most powerful words (in my opinion) are the ones that lead you to the writer's point without ever bashing the idea over the head.

For me, what works best is to try and develop a personal angle. Either treat it as a discussion (in a Paul Simon kinda way) or some kind of relationship issue. In other words, any way you can humanise your message is good. But this shouldn't be a problem, right, because politics and society are all about people!

For those who are interested, a couple of my songs that fall into this category are laissez-faire (neo-liberalism) https://soundcloud.com/anthony-lane/laissez-faire-produced-by
and North of the Woods (9/11) (rubbish vid of a pretty rubbish open mic rendition; proper recorded version is nearly ready to share)

You should share your political songs with us Todd :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:38:55 PM »
Ooh good thread! :)

Personally, I really like political songs, (caveat: provided they are good, that is). I'm not a massive fan of Billy Brag or the 'protest song' movement (whatever that is).

But, quite a few of my songs full under this umbrella, and I can think of some real corkers from big recording artists just off the top of my head:
Living for the City by Stevie Wonder
Sign O The Times by Prince
Anything by Rage against the machine, most notably killing in the name ;)
Hell Broke Luce by Tom Waits

I could probably think of many more if I put my mind to it. But I also agree with your 'show don't tell' rule - but I would say it applies to all writing, not just songs, and not just social commentary. The most powerful words (in my opinion) are the ones that lead you to the writer's point without ever bashing the idea over the head.

For me, what works best is to try and develop a personal angle. Either treat it as a discussion (in a Paul Simon kinda way) or some kind of relationship issue. In other words, any way you can humanise your message is good. But this shouldn't be a problem, right, because politics and society are all about people!

For those who are interested, a couple of my songs that fall into this category are laissez-faire (neo-liberalism) https://soundcloud.com/anthony-lane/laissez-faire-produced-by
and North of the Woods (9/11) (rubbish vid of a pretty rubbish open mic rendition; proper recorded version is nearly ready to share)

Listening to "Laissez-faire" right now.
Not far enough into it to decide what it's about or not.
But, a suggestion: would you please post the lyrics? After all, those are pretty important when it comes to these kind of songs, in particular.

Also: your vocal is absolutely gorgeous.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 08:47:31 PM »

Fine.
Here's the one that inspired this thread:
https://hoponpop.bandcamp.com/track/say-you-will-a-reluctant-soldiers-plea

It's called "Say You Will (A Reluctant Soldier's Plea)." It's loosely based on two true stories: an NPR story that I heard, about soldiers saying goodbye to their loved ones, as they were being deployed; and a friend of mine, who was shipped off (for a third time), despite not believing in the reasons given to him for his deployment.

Here are the lyrics:
In the dark, pre-dawn morning
We wait for the bus
As the sun slowly comes
Feelings overcome us
I'll be oceans away
But I'm always close by

I'll be back in a year
If I survive the fight
I will do what I'm told
Because I'm told that it's right
But when "right" seems so wrong
Then I know I ain’t right

Now I'm going off to fight
For the ones that I'll kill
If I come home with blood
On my hands that I've spilled
Oh, please take them in your hands
Because I'll love you still...

Say you will
Say you will

PS - My friend came home safely, but his marriage was destroyed.

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 09:28:25 PM »
My favourite protest song, from Country Joe (yeah I'm old)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xuUBCF3KKxc

With the right humour, you can say almost anything.  In fact, recently I picked the most taboo subject I could think of to write a song about - watch out for 'The P Word', coming soon.

I'll have a listen to some of your links this week, I like protest songs :)
GTB

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:29:12 PM »
This is a good book on political/protest songs: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revolutions-Per-Minute-Dorian-Lynskey/dp/0571241352/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414447722&sr=1-1&keywords=33+revolutions+per+minute+a+history+of+protest+songs

I don't mind my protest director indirect. I like Billy Bragg although he doesn't do many really direct songs. The Levellers can be a lot more direct for example the excellent Battle of the Beanfield. Sometimes you don't need words, for example, Coltrane's Alabama.

Following GTB's example here's two songs about Vietnam:

and

Ghosts Dance at Wounded Knee was my last "protest song"

Interesting thread.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 12:55:15 AM »
Sometimes you don't need words, for example, Coltrane's Alabama.

Or Hendrix' "Star Spangled Banner."

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 08:54:37 PM »
Listening to "Laissez-faire" right now.
Not far enough into it to decide what it's about or not.
But, a suggestion: would you please post the lyrics? After all, those are pretty important when it comes to these kind of songs, in particular.

Also: your vocal is absolutely gorgeous.
Thanks Todd :) I enjoyed your song, and the last verse in particular was very powerful. The contrast of bloodied hands and holding hands, war and love gave a very human angle to the message. Also, asking for understanding while knowing what you're about to do isn't serving the values you were sold...

I find it surprising that these kinds of songs are seen in a different light by many compared to the usual lyrical fodder. Is it symptomatic of a cultural trend that disengages us from political forces and events?

Trying to think of recent successful pop songs that fall into this category - the only one that springs to mind is Plan B's 'Ill Manors'
a particularly rousing number :D

I suppose another interesting question would be: do songs like this make a difference? While the music scene plays lapdog to corporate interests, it's going to take more than one song by one artist to create awareness. In fact, the only person in pop culture who's actually making himself heard politically in the UK is Russell Brand (a comedian if you don't know).

You asked for the lyrics to my song, thanks :) I shall oblige you ;)

laissez-faire my appetite has come
and my disciples you must learn to come undone
dressed in robes you can touch a living heart
so I'll send my priests out with the dogs before I start
I've come to make your fortune so don't you dare complain
I hold a major stake in this...

I'm not the one you should be fighting
I already know what you want, you already know where I hide it
I'm letting you know without ambiguity
I'll repossess your children to pay for all your greed
I' haven't made my fortune so don't you dare complain
I own the boots you walk in so don't get in my way
You'll never cure my envy, they'll murder me one day like you

I'll never make my fortune, you better not complain
I bought the air you're breathing, do not get in my way
I get caught up so quickly, I'll go to hell one day with you

New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 10:20:41 PM »
Sometimes you don't need words, for example, Coltrane's Alabama.

Or Hendrix' "Star Spangled Banner."

Yes, but what was it a protest about? I've read that Hendrix supported the war, at least initially.

A very good protest song by Hendrix is I Don't Live Today, both lyrically and musically.

Dogmax

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 01:03:43 AM »
All Time Classic

Eddie Vedder and Mike McCready 

Vintage54

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 09:17:05 PM »

Just like to give a mention to the late "phil Ochs" while we're on a Social/Political Trip. "I aint marching anymore" still does it for me, and "Cops of the world" written i think in 66 but still relevant today.

Vintage54

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 02:07:14 PM »
Just bumping the thread because it seems relevant more than ever today, what with Brexit and Trump and all that.
Damn.
I wish that it weren't.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 02:48:07 PM »
Just finished an anti Trump song
Nice!
Post the link, if you don't mind.
And, explain how you approached it and why you went it that way. Curious about the process of these type of songs.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz