konalavadome

GISC copyright

• 14 Replies

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« on: October 27, 2014, 11:45:44 AM »
I've just received an email from GISC informing me that they now accept online copyright submissions to protect your work.

This has thrown up a few questions for me and I'm going to do a bit of research on the subject.

They've previously said that, as it's never been put through court or the legal system, online copyright isn't 100% effective.

Confused.com.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 03:15:12 PM »
Whats GISC?

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 04:07:04 PM »
Guild of International Songwriters and Composers

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 10:23:32 PM »
A songwriters forum and only one person interested in song copyright issues?

This is bizarre.   ???

Here's an update for anyone interested :

As a member of the Guild of International Songwriters and Composers, I've just uploaded 29 songs via the link they emailed me and those songs are now fully copyrighted apparently.

That was easy.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 10:56:24 PM »
I have been an advocate of GISC for a long time now (although haven't been a member for a while so I must get around to renewing!!!)

I think their "no frills" approach is refreshing in an industry that relies so heavily on "glitz and glamour" ( and often empty promises!)

Have they said what has changed re: electronic copyright?

I guess this isn't a move they have taken lightly (having resisted for so long) so they must have a good system?
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 11:58:21 PM »
I have to confess, I know nothing of GISC. I am a member of PRS - and I (rightly or wrongly) assumed that they're interested in protecting my copyright should the need arise.

Of course, I'm always open to being educated... :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 12:09:44 AM »
Don't they just collect/administer the money?

I am not sure they would be much help with copyrighting or helping protect your music on an individual level - that would be the job of your publisher and you

They are a more "global" voice saying how important copyright is and protecting the rights of "the industry" rather than the individual

I think GISC is a much better option for gaining advice, guidance and support on an individual level
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 08:09:48 AM »
Boydie - they just emailed members saying they now had an online copyrighting system for members not wanting to use the postage system. It's very easy too. I uploaded songs to a site, put my name and GISC membership number in a box along with the titles and hit 'send'. I then received an email telling me the files had been delivered and GISC Had been informed.

Tone - good move joining PRSformusic. You can't get paid for broadcasts or performances if you're not. It's the first and most important move of any serious songwriter. Also, for anyone who gigs original music, if you're a PRS member you can claim performance royalties for your own gigs.

Boydie's right though, they don't have anything to do with copyright of your songs.

That's the songwriters responsibility.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 08:13:32 AM by Alan Starkie »

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 11:01:25 AM »
There is something strangely reassuring when you receive your cd/lyrics in a clear sealed envelope with the certificate with old system but as Boydie says hopefully they have a good new system in place. I will use the new service, so much more convienant.

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 06:15:44 PM »

HEY GUYS

sounds to me like GISC is getting modern

i joined copyright house about 2 years ago and i've always just put in the details
  uploaded the song or lyrics and done take a minute
  then right off a certificate of proof goes straight to your email as a PDF
  with all the details,
  and if you've collabed on the track you can send a copy to the other person

i paid a one off payment for life membership it was about 60-80 quid
  i'd also recommend them

copyright is something we all worry about

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 03:38:50 PM »
I confess I'm slightly confused by this topic.

Copyright is automatically assigned by law the minute you create something. Of course, you need to be able to prove creation on a certain date, which is where services such as this one come in.

But what happens if this GISC disappears, or is bought out, or turns out to be run by cowboys? Not only that, but proving authorship is only one part of being regonised as the writer. You still need to be able to pay the legal fees to even meet these guys in court.

A friend of mine once produced a demo for a song which ended up being a #1 in the uk (many years ago). Some elements of the demo production made it into the final song, yet he was never accredited or assigned appropriate royalties.

So he took the record company/ publisher to court, and was awarded a sizeable settlement. Only problem being that he then had to use ALL OF IT to pay his legal team.

It's a minefield out there folks! Tread carefully.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 03:58:31 PM »
Getting your knickers in a twist over songs that will never make any body any money is a waste of time.....that being said,it's not nice to think that someone could just lift your creation and use it for themselves...

If they are someone established with say a record company behind them,you could have problems,they could bankrupt you, as you try and fight them in court.

The chances are ,you're more likely to have problems with co-writers over accreditation and ownership issues,and so copyright here will clearly show who owns the song,apart from that you own your work and its publishing from the time you create it.....unless you come up with a masterpiece,i wouldn't sweat it.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 06:10:38 PM »
Yes Marrianna , there's loads of cases of people not being rewarded for ideas (intellectual ideas) .....even with a patent ,it costs a fortune to prove you are the original creator....and so it is with songs....someones not likely to rip you off in black and white, so you have to employ experts to do it for you,,,,very expensive..
actually a friend of mine told me years ago his brother sent Elton John a song called 'Friday nights alright for fighting'..and EJ released 'Saturday night is alright for fighting' ..........i myself sent a lyric to a duo,who put a song on an album with the same theme!..so, there you go.

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 01:57:03 PM »

I've sent EJ lots of songs over the years, there was 'Spaniel', 'Goodbye Dry Rot and Mould',
'Alligator Rock' but gave up after 'Sack Full Of Rice', it could have been a big hit but obviously he wasn't interested  :)

Now how did it go again, oh yes:-

And it's no sack full of rice
Just four simple words
etc etc

Maybe I'll try again someday  ;D ;D

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 04:26:07 PM »

I've sent EJ lots of songs over the years, there was 'Spaniel', 'Goodbye Dry Rot and Mould',
'Alligator Rock' but gave up after 'Sack Full Of Rice', it could have been a big hit but obviously he wasn't interested  :)

Now how did it go again, oh yes:-

And it's no sack full of rice
Just four simple words
etc etc

Maybe I'll try again someday  ;D ;D

You've started something now....