International Songwriters and Composers

• 20 Replies

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« on: May 05, 2011, 02:07:55 PM »
Has anyone joined or used the Songwriters Guild? If so, was the service worth the fee (currently £55 per year.) I've looked at joining in the past and a songwriter from the same town as me recommended it a week or so ago. It seems to offer sound advice on copyright, collaborations, general contact with the music industry and a lot more, but I wondered how well organised it is and whether the information and service is as comprehensive as it sounds.

www.songwriters-guild.co.uk
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:15:04 PM by Sonic-r »

massa

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 04:10:47 PM »
I joined it for two years, it's a load of crap to be honest. I'm not renewing my membership. They send you a photocopied magazine of no use whatsoever. They offer a collaboration service yes, and do song assessments, and you can supposedly copyright register your songs with them - however I never have. I'm going to join BASCA as it looks a far more professional outfit. Have you looked at the Guild's website (well obviously I know you have, you quoted the link), could have made better myself.

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 04:18:16 PM »
It's the website that puts me off, to be honest. If the site looks amateurish what's the organisation going to be like. BASCA looks interesting. (They've got Nihal on the opening page, so can't be all bad!)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 05:06:45 PM »
Totally agree with regard to the website. Any company that isn't serious enough about its business to get professional marketing materials made (eg, website) isn't worth touching in my opinion.

One of the worst websites I've seen in ages actually!
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

massa

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »
I only joined the Guild of Songwriters because Louis Walsh (the leprechaun) recommended it (not to me directly obviously). BASCA is actually linked with the Ivors, so it's reputable. God knows what the Guild of Songwriters is linked with, it's based at the arse-end of Cornwall! Annie Lennox is a member of BASCA, who's a member of the Guild that's famous?

Oh look at this:

http://www.basca.org.uk/news/events/the-ivors-songwriting-master-class-with-david-gray/

I loved his early material, but his last few albums have been boring!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 05:22:25 PM by massa »

Dutchbeat

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 05:22:19 PM »
I don't know the organisation, but I happened to see the website when I punched in a wrong address a while ago...
indeed it looks very poor, middleage-ish even, and with that distinct "we will take your money and do nothing for you" - atmosphere

we have an organisation just like that in the Netherlands, but their website looks more professional  ;D

marianheawood

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 06:18:04 PM »
I belonged to the Guild once and still am a member of BASCA and have been for many years. The Guild in Cornwall once had Charlie Landsborough as a member. He was later signed by the same publisher as I was, and then in Ireland and his albums have sold well, and he is famous. A very nice person he was, too, when I had the pleasure of meeting him. The Guild once profiled members, including myself, with good articles which were interesting for other members and inspirational because they were about aspiring writers and lyricists. This was all some time ago, and so can't speak for what the Guild does now.
BASCA has changed a lot from when I first joined, both in the way of staff, which involves a lot more people now, and how the magazine is written. It is more about well-known writers now, and that must be how people want it to be.  When I first joined, I could go to the small offices in London and have a chat with the General Secretary and assistant. They made you feel they knew you and would be as helpful as they could.  With time, BASCA has moved on to bigger and better premises and so things are not on such a personal basis, where knowing each other is concerned.
New members would not have the past to compare with, and can take advantage of what is offered now to members, especially if they can get to London easily.
I have belonged to the ISA in Ireland for many years, and is great for prompt advice in a polite way, friendliness, and a good, helpful newsletter sent by email. I hope that this information is helpful and interesting.

massa

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 06:23:54 PM »
Very helpful and interesting Marian thank you!

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 06:27:34 PM »
Sounds like two ends of the spectrum. BASCA does seem to be the more professional outfit and only lets you in if you meet certain criteria. Keeps the amateurs out who, I suppose, must then turn to the Songwriters Guild. For all its professionalism I'm not sure if BASCA would be appropriate for me at this stage in my songwriting evolution. And £93 a year is a bit much to 'try it and see.'

Interesting responses though. Thanks to everyone who has given their opinion and experience with both organisations.

massa

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
To join BASCA you only need to be a member of PRS for music don't you. This was my dilemma and the reason for joining this forum in the first place. I'm not.

I wouldn't recommend the Guild but perhaps you want to join and see for yourself what it's like. When the magazine comes through and the ink's all over your fingers you may change your mind.

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 10:23:53 PM »
There are three membership levels in BASCA: professional, member and student. To become a member you have to be a 'provisional member' of PRS for Music. So it's back to having music performed/broadcast or imminently performed/broadcast...

And ink on the fingers sounds like the old Wigan Reporter!

marianheawood

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 10:53:07 PM »
Hi Sonic-r.. I think the rules have changed now. It is true that at one time it was a requirement to have had a broadcast of a writer's work or something like that, but that isn't the case now. If you phone PRS and ask, or I can find out for sure next week and I could let you know here. (I wrote a song with someone else last year and he didn't have to have the requirements I did when I was able to join.) Best to make sure though. Marian.

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 11:42:38 PM »
A couple of weeks ago someone on here said you only needed a screenshot of your song on Youtube to satisfy PRS's entry requirements. (I haven't checked the forum to confirm that, but it was something like that.)

Anyway, things on that score could be about to change...

marianheawood

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 10:44:01 AM »
Hi, Sonic-r.. I have spoken to someone at the PRS For Music and it is right about Youtube.. you can join! Also, if you have any of your songs and music played publicly then that qualifies you as well. I think you can fill in a form online if you go to PRS For Music. It's all much easier than it used to be. There is a £10 fee but that is taken off first royalties and not paid upfront. Hope this is helpful information and that you have  nice day. Marian. :)

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 10:59:26 AM »
Hi Marian

Thanks very much for finding that out. Much appreciated. I'll get on over there and have another look.

Regards
Chris