konalavadome

Blue Skies Are Dark At Night

• 18 Replies

Dogmax

« on: October 18, 2014, 09:27:33 PM »
Hello All.

First time ever posting lyrics but this is something i wrote a good few years back, would really appreciate whatever thoughts you might have.

Thanks All.

Blue Skies Are Dark At Night
                ------------------

Did you ever go beneath your soul and search high for the glory and the pride

Did you ever go above the skies and look at the other side of life

Did you ever sink beneath the deep and wonder why

Blue skies are dark at night

Chorus

Did you ever feel like just given up

Did you ever feel like shouting above the crowd

Why, why me

Oh God, why me

Did you ever go beyond your dream and live in another life and time

Did your ever go beyond this world and see a life without crime

Did you ever just turn around and simply ask why

Chorus

Why, why me

Oh God, why me

Did you ever look at what comes after and say it doesn't matter

Did you ever see the suffering of a child and scream in anger

Did your ever just close your eyes and imagine why

Chorus

Why, why me

Oh God, why me

---------

© copyright house all rights reserved
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:25:45 PM by Dogmax »

Vintage54

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 01:02:43 AM »

Yes i did Dogmax, to answer the questions of the song. There is great potential here, but dont much care for the why why why part of the chorus. But, "Did you ever look at what comes after, and say it doesnt matter" that is just great man. Thats all i guess, but i hope its encouraging. Dont stop.

Vintage54

Katier

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 10:08:48 PM »
I agree about the chorus, doesn't mesh with the verse well IMO. I do like the verse though, got a bit of a feel of some Pink Floyd songs I think.

GeneralZod

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 12:46:40 PM »
I like the verses the best. Has a cool feel.

The line "Blue skies are dark as night" what does that mean?
The chorus also is a little weak and possibly an uplifting chorus
would take this one to the next level. It definitely has potential to be awesome!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 02:17:14 PM »
Hey Dogmax - welcome to the murky world of the lyrics forum!
I really liked this pretty much as is. The repetition in the verses and chorus works well for me and I can almost hear this sung - reminds me of Supertramp's "Logical Song" - big questions everyone has - but no answers. I also liked that the theme/title is the last line of the verses - that's tough to pull off effectively like you have here. One tiny nit I have is in the first line "beneath your soul and search high". For some reason beneath/high didn't work for me - maybe "search deep/inside/below" would work better with "beneath". Otherwise, for me, this is good to go on your next amazing video!
cheers
Paul

Dogmax

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 04:22:25 PM »
Hi All

Thanks for all your views on this the "why why why me" by right should be just "why, why me" it seem to flow well when singing from the line "shouting above the crowd" but i haven't recorded this yet so ill know better when i listen back, i have a melody for this but i might have to change it because at the moment it just doesn't give me the inspiration to record but all your feedback is really very helpful in getting me there.

I wrote this about 15, 20 years ago so I'm only guessing but i think the reason for the line "Blue Skies Are Dark At Night"  might have something to do with a dream i was having or maybe because its Halloween i should say nightmare (i hope i don't scare meself here) anyway, in my dream (sorry) nightmare i was looking up through this tunnel and all i could see was blue skies so i started climbing half ways up i fell back down and i woke up thinking, damn it, a few nights later i had the same dream i mean nightmare, the same thing blue skies fell back down again but on the third attempt i made it, i was feeling pretty proud of myself but when i look up the blue skies where dark, oh and due to the fact this was a nightmare i forgot to add on the way up i had to fight evil monsters, okay enough of this.

Will try those words Paul  "search deep/inside/below" when I'm recording because on the next line i have "above the skies and look at the other side of life" so yeah will do, might have to change skies to sky as well, thanks for that.

Thank you all, really very helpful.

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 05:48:21 PM »
I think it is better without the extra why which was there to start with, and I like the word 'skies' personally.

I just wonder if there could be something answering, even if uncertainly, the question in the last line of the chorus. Maybe it could sound a bit too heartwrenching and desperate if being sung (or spoken)
to an audience. These are just thoughts I had on a very deep and dark set of words but well thought out. :)

Dogmax

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 11:03:28 PM »
I think it is better without the extra why which was there to start with, and I like the word 'skies' personally.

I just wonder if there could be something answering, even if uncertainly, the question in the last line of the chorus. Maybe it could sound a bit too heartwrenching and desperate if being sung (or spoken)
to an audience. These are just thoughts I had on a very deep and dark set of words but well thought out. :)

Hi Marrianna

Yeah the word skies will stay its just that line "above the skies and look at the other side of life" but again it all depends on what i hear back.

(I just wonder if there could be something answering)  interesting thought all right, put all our questions in one bowl turn it upside down and fall in a lyric line of answers but then, why put them in a bowl, any suggesting.

Thanks.

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 02:44:47 AM »
Hi Dogmax,

I wonder if something like this may help for the chorus

But we don't give up, question darkness or light
Or why the moon replaces the sun
When the blue skies are gone, look for peace in the night
That's the answer for everyone.

Hope something here may spark some more ideas nearer to what you need for a stronger chorus?  :)

Marrianna

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 06:15:10 PM »
Hello Pat

I like the lyric well enough, and think the title is just great and says the lot in one snappy line.

There's a great feeling of deep emotion running through this and I can well imagine you putting it across brilliantly in your singular fashion.

The only bit that I Wonder about is whether it shouldn't just be 'why?' instead of 'why me?'

'Why me' sounds a bit self-pitying whereas just 'why' would be a bit more of a universal kind of sentiment.

Just a thought.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Dogmax

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 06:53:43 PM »
Thanks Cramer, Marrianna

At the moment im working on a new verse for this which hopefully might give some indication to a answer without it actually been a answer, if you know what i mean   ???

The "why me" in the chorus, i have thought about that and i think without "me" it would sound like "why, oh god why" but its something i will listen to when recording, i think Vintage first line in his post speak for most of us when he writes  (Yes i did Dogmax, to answer the questions of the song)  so the "why me" i think came be most of us, will post the new verse when i have something that makes sense, also been trying a new melody for this.

Again thanks all, really helpful.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:01:56 PM by Dogmax »

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 07:24:07 PM »

HEY PAT

yeah i like this as it is, it's an old lyric but feels quite fresh, timeless
 some great questions asked here very clever and most people ponder over them

I LOVED THE TITLE / CHORUS

and think it will stand right out when this comes to music
 great imagination on this and it will give great imagery when sung
 give this your usual magic vocal and this will be a cracker

look forward to it bud  GOOD LUCK PAT

tony

Bleedin Boy

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 08:48:02 PM »
I like the concept of this one. It has a good reflective feel to it, but I think the title would work better in the chorus.

Dutchbeat

• Open Mic
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 04:06:44 PM »
cool lyrics..and the that title: Blue skys are dark at night
i really like that, it made me think it would be a song of hope, like the the blue skies are dark now at night, so things my look very bad now, but tommorow the skies are blue again

Dogmax

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 09:10:52 PM »
Thanks (benjo) Tony sorry for the late reply, glad you liked this will definitely record it hopefully soon have tried a few way to go with this, all i can say is getting there.

Thanks Bleedin Boy to be honest when i was writing this the line Blue Skies Are Dark At Night seem to fit in at the end of each verse so that's the way i went with it, the title at first was Did You Ever but then i change it.

Thanks Dutch (it made me think it would be a song of hope, like the the blue skies are dark now at night, so things my look very bad now, but tommorow the skies are blue again)  i like that Dutch Thanks.