konalavadome

Can you teach someone how to song write or is it a gift?

• 8 Replies

EmilyEwingMusic

• Busker
« on: September 21, 2014, 01:28:08 PM »
This may be a question that has already been asked but I see a lot of "Songwriting master classes" online.

Songwriting is a different process for everyone, for me there is no real formula. My methods change all the time, lyrics first or a piano riff or a melody pops into my head.

We learn every time we write songs, for example the first draft of a song isn't always the right way one etc etc.

What I'm basically asking, if someone has never written a song but they want too....can it be taught? or is it something you just natrually do? :o

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 09:06:05 PM »
Hi EmilyEwingMusic

This is one of those questions where you can ask a thousand people and you'll probably get a thousand different responses but yes I believe it can be taught which is why there are lots of online classes advertised. But being inspired, having good creative ideas and doing something with a few words on a page is not so easy.

You have the wonderful gift of being able to play an instrument, have ideas and can get them into the physical world which is what a lot of people can't do. it's not about money, fame, adoration etc, I believe it's about being creative and doing something that gives you immense pleasure, even if no one else likes your songs, so how lucky are all of us that can create  :)

Gallowglass

• Solo Gig
  • Dime Store Saint
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 09:19:30 PM »
You can teach someone to song-write commercially. It's pretty formulaic, right down to the timing of the near-compulsory key change and the percentage of the song which is repetition.

But you can't teach someone to song-write in their own voice, to truly pour their heart out. That's often what produces the best stuff. It takes a lot of courage and complete open-ness.
Band recommendation of the week: Fit For Rivals? False. Renee Phoenix has no rivals.

'She can still hear the Rebel Yell just as loud as it was in 1983' - Thrash Unreal, Against Me!

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 09:57:21 PM »
You can learn songwriting like you can learn to play an instrument....doesn't mean your going to be great at either...but you can learn the technical/theory side of anything i guess.
I'm a chef and i work with people that have learned to cook...but! you can see they have no inner creative spark,,,they put ingredient x on ingredient y , because they have been taught thats what you do.

If you examine the lyrics section on any forum....you will read the same sort of uninspired ,mainly sad/happy/love based 'stories' or really odd lyrics about all sorts of things,,,

So really,song writing becomes a gift, when a songwriter can put words into such a perspective that it touches the soul :).sounds a bit poncey...but basically i think thats the truth,,Bob Dylan ,Paul Simon,Lennon/Mccartney etc.these type of writers have that gift!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 10:27:14 PM »
Well said STC

I agree 100% with everything you say

I often use the "chef" analogy when talking about songwriting
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Dogmax

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 11:03:47 PM »
If someone want to be taught to be a songwriter then that means they're already thinking of writing, now that person will learn and the reason why is because they will find people that they feel knows what they want to do, which is to write.

Then there's the person who someone really believe can be a great artist but in this case writer if only they put their mind to it, i know a few of them and you know what so does the rest of us but what is the true answer to your question, lead by example and let them see the real world of a writer and most of all, share the joy of a finish song with them, then, maybe then.

There are many life ways answers to your question in other words, i have a question to you, why ask when you know there are so many answers.

RosilindSings

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 01:54:08 AM »
I don't think anyone needs to be taught to write a song. Everyone can write lyrics but there are certain people who can be helped enhancement wise. But other than that lyrics are feelings, everyone has feelings, and therefore everyone can write a song. Its just the enhancement factor, meaning flow, word choice. Things of that nature.

nerdle

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 10:42:37 PM »
If you wake up in the morning with a tune in your head and you don't think you've heard it anywhere you can write. :)

arteg

• Busker
    • Creative Songwriting
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 09:50:22 AM »
Songwriting is a gift, but persistence can beat talent. And, yes, you can teach someone but the ability to teach is a gift, too. :)