Do you ever feel like the songs are writing you?

• 13 Replies

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« on: May 03, 2011, 09:41:57 AM »
I wondered how many of you shared the experience I've been having recently. The last few songs I've written have come very easily, almost to the point where it feels like I've been learning a song that already exists as opposed to writing a new one. But they're definitely original songs :p

It's not that it hasn't happened before, just I'm not used to it happening so often, with no songs between that are harder to write and part of a more conscious process.

The lyrics are a bit more conscious, but the melody and harmony are just there from the outset. It's like I really can't figure out what makes my hand move from one note to the next!
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

spacedogg

• Open Mic
  • Ooo yes it's up there somewhere
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:50:29 AM »
Very interesting thread this, Tone. This is not a Uriah Heep (the Charles Dickens character, not the 70's rock band) kind of sycophancy, just a statement of supposition, but I would guess its just you getting your songwriting hat on and simply being really good at your 'job', the same way other people go in to work in the morning and do theirs.
I feel now that after having been composing tunes for (what seems like) a very long time and having become very self aware of my own process (and also having become familiar with certain other people's creative processes too), I think I am pretty much aware of how it works... it only takes me by surprise every now and again, when I come up with a structure or progression that didn't seem to be a familiar part of my usual armory. I think we all have subconscious patterns that we develop over time, and inspirations and influences can play a bigger part than we sometimes give credit to, but there are definitely certain characteristics that people develop. Of course there are natural geniuses out there but the greater majority of us have to hone our skills... so don't be too surprised (or modest!) if something that is a major part of your life reaches a personal peak of artistic achievement. You are doing something you love to do, and you've obviously gotten pretty damn good at it.

massa

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:30:59 AM »
What do you mean?

Do you mean that the songs you've been writing lately sound like other songs?

OR

Do you mean that the songs are just coming to you in their full form and you are writing them down?

If the former. Oh dear you have a problem.

If the latter. That's your muse. Inspration. I believe the music 'comes' to me, I am it's instrument and I do not take full credit for the creation. There is a higher force behind it. I am eternally grateful it chooses me to pass through. These songs want to be heard. I am their interpreter.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 02:25:52 PM »
It's definitely the latter Massa, and it's a very strong feeling. They're not as fully-formed as they could be, but they're complete with melody & harmony, and ready-to-finish if you like.

@Liam Andy an interesting take, certainly. I would like to think I've written enough songs to have become fairly good at it by now, but it doesn't change the fact that this is unusual for me. Still, best enjoy it while it lasts, eh? Kind of like the British summer... :)

I must have done something to please the songwriting gods!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:46:49 PM by tone »

massa

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 02:28:02 PM »
You are listening to the songwriting Gods, you are blessed!

spacedogg

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »
I believe the music 'comes' to me, I am it's instrument and I do not take full credit for the creation. There is a higher force behind it. I am eternally grateful it chooses me to pass through. These songs want to be heard. I am their interpreter.

No offence Massa but I think thats a load of tree hugging hippy horsepoop. You are the sum of your life's experiences and you constantly draw from them (in every aspect of your life) as you react to the circumstances you are in. You write/compose a song because you subliminally accumulate all the parts of it together in your mind until its ready to be 'born', as it were. It just takes the right circumstances for it to happen. Simple as that, lovely when it does.
P.S. Tone I'm Andy. Liam uses TNMC.

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 05:09:24 PM »
I once read somewhere that a bus company in Tokyo started to organise its shift patterns around their drivers' biorhythms and it reduced the accident rate by an enormous amount. I know from personal experience that I go through phases where ideas come to me easily and then two weeks later nothing.

It could be that recently you've gone through one of your natural creative peaks that's coincided with other factors such as having time to concentrate on ideas, little or no hassle in other areas of life, I don't know. But it sounds to me like a creative 'perfect storm' moment, but in a positive way.

Chris

massa

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 05:38:10 PM »
Haha Spacedogg. It isn't at all.

Are you so naive as to think you write the songs?

Tsk tsk, perhaps the muses will abandon you now!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 07:51:16 PM »
P.S. Tone I'm Andy. Liam uses TNMC.
Sorry Andy. Fixed! :)

It'll be interesting to see where this science vs spirit debate ends up!

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 10:08:31 PM »
Science and spirit are the same thing. Once you get to the quantum level they're indistinguishable.  ;)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 10:51:48 PM »
Science and spirit are the same thing. Once you get to the quantum level they're indistinguishable.  ;)
Now that's my kind of answer! May I suggest less reading and more songwriting? ;) :D

spacedogg

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 11:11:04 PM »
Oh Massa, Massa, Massa. Of course I write the songs. The bit that is shrouded in mystery is where the talent to do it actually came from... God, Buddha, The Blue Pixie... I may not know for sure, but I am very, very grateful for it. Tell that to the Muses the next time you're communicating with them you big hippy  ;D

massa

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 11:32:16 AM »
Oh oh Spacecakes you've done it now!

The muses are angry!

Dutchbeat

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 02:09:34 PM »
wherever these songs come from: enjoy it while you can, Tone!