konalavadome

Are we allowed to post covers in the bar? Big In Japan cover

• 7 Replies

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« on: November 02, 2014, 08:19:42 PM »
Hi all,

i'm not sure if it's allowed but we've recently done a cover of Alphaville's Big In Japan. If it's against the rules please remove.

We've done a bit of a video - just as background really. Altered the timing and made it a bit darker.

Any good?

Cheers,

Digger and Katja

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 09:20:15 PM »
Yes, you are allowed to post your cover versions in the bar!! :D Was a bit disappointed that you hadn't covered Tom Waits's Big in Japan though :p

New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 12:57:01 PM »
Ahhhhhh I LOVE this song. I always thought if ever I do any covers I'd love to do this.....damn you beating me to it!  ;)

Katja's vocal sounds perfect for it to me. It's so beautiful and sad, sounds like self destruction. It's perfect.

I heard this as Ane Brun's cover first and only heard it as Alphaville's original second, and I actually preferred Ane Brun's version. But now I think this brings everything that I love about her version (the haunting vocals) together with what I love about Alphaville's version (the electro sound (but updated) that really puts you slap-bang a stranger in the middle of a crazy neon-lit Tokyo).

I think this is my new favourite version!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 01:30:50 PM »
Yep this really is excellent - the vocal is sublime, and the production... beautifully controlled with plenty of interest.

Very well done :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 04:09:19 PM »
WOW. Love it. checking out your youtube channel now...:)

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 10:21:21 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks for having a listen. It certainly made a change from the challenges of trying to write original stuff. Katja likes the Ane Brun version too and based this on that cover. We looked for the meaning behind the song and the band said it was something to do with heroin addicts living in the Zoo in Berlin (i think.) A darker approach seemed more fitting to us.

Thanks alot.

Digger and Katja

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 12:07:30 PM »
Hi guys, great cover. This is not a song I really cared for but this is much better than the hit version. Great production, playing and singing. Not quite sure why the end of the video settings sun, not a rising sun?
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 10:00:04 PM »
We looked for the meaning behind the song and the band said it was something to do with heroin addicts living in the Zoo in Berlin (i think.) A darker approach seemed more fitting to us.

Yeah, I read that too, well the heroin bit - not the Berlin bit - I assumed it was about Tokyo. But anyway, yeah I completely agree - for me you got the essence perfectly. I just listened again. Love it.