konalavadome

"Sand and cement" lyric writing

• 29 Replies

GilgaFrank

• Busker
    • My SoundCloud work in progress
« on: September 30, 2014, 02:09:20 PM »
Just wanted to vent/brainfart about something that really annoys me in lyrics, the use of "ooh yeahs" and "woah-ohs" as lyrics.

Drives me insane when people do this, use an utterly meaningless phrase as a space filler instead of writing something that moves the song on. Sting, Bruce Springsteen, pretty much any 1980s heavy metal, it's all littered with these hateful things.

People who don't do it - Bob Dylan, Richard Thompson, Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon, Leonard Cohen*. And this man, possibly my favourite lyricist of all time. Might not be to your tastes but there's no sand in the cement.

* apart from Dance me to the end of love but I'll give him that one

Gallowglass

• Solo Gig
  • Dime Store Saint
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 03:02:58 PM »
It isn't spacefiller, nor is it a problem. It's people using it as spacefiller that's problem. Like anything else lyrically, it's merit and purpose depends largely on what people are doing with it. Gaslight do it well here, for example, where it blends well with the oncoming solo and carries out the final verse, Lady Gaga does it just horribly because she likes talking nonsense-French.
Band recommendation of the week: Fit For Rivals? False. Renee Phoenix has no rivals.

'She can still hear the Rebel Yell just as loud as it was in 1983' - Thrash Unreal, Against Me!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 03:15:10 PM »
Got to say I agree with you GilgaFrank - this is a real pet hate of mine too. People who write the best lyrics tend not to do this. And every time I hear 'Oh Yeah' in a song, I immediately think of Jon Bon Jovi. And not in a good way. :p

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 05:34:03 PM by tone »
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

GilgaFrank

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 03:40:40 PM »
Is it possible to think of Jon Bon Jovi in a good way?

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 05:39:37 PM »
Completely disagree!

"Nonsense" words are just as valid a hook as an instrumental solo or a clever lyric if it works in the song (IMHO) - and in most cases they could be classed as "backing vocals"

I do enjoy a bit of JOVI and when you hear a hundred thousand people sing "woah oh - we're half way there" I think they are doing something right!

I can think of examples of "lyrical fillers" for most of the artists you mention (Big Yellow Taxi, Mrs Robinson, the repeating "Hallelujah" is as good as a load of "woah ohs" IMHO)

I think anything that has a rhythmic and melodic element is valid and fair game for inclusion in a song
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 05:51:45 PM »
I am SO with Boydie on this one.

I think of my voice as another instrument.

I LOVE ooh's and ahhh's as backing.

'Here, there and everywhere' / 'Hey Jude' (Tone - I'm surprised by your dislike of bv's that beautifully pad a song out.

They're the pillow and duvet on the song mattress.

tokenangmoh

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 06:05:46 PM »
Yeah, add my voice to Boydie's and Alan's.

I don't think human beings are all that articulate in their daily lives. I know that I'm not - especially away from the considered typing of forum posts... And when we need to express something and our words aren't up to the task, it's going to be a superficially meaningless and probably cliched sound that comes out.

Having said that, I agree with you that there is a form of brainless and, more importantly, emotionless filler that makes its way into tracks because no one could be bothered to think of anything better. And that can get tiresome... But it can be used well, either emotionally or musically, and I wouldn't and don't write it off as an option.

Matt

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 06:23:22 PM »
I've got to agree here with the later posters.

Yes, as Matt says, we can't always articulate perfectly and a simple 'yeah' or 'yes' can often reinforce a thought.
There's a lot of it in the blues, admittedly often as a substitute for repeating the first line, but can sound great.

And what about all those soul singers....James Brown, Al Green, Mmmmm-Marvin Gaye...who punctuate their performances with some lovely 'filler'.

And, in fact, on its own cement isn't as strong without an appropriate amount of sand....
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
Ah, Alan, Matt, Boydie & Cramer, you got me.

I feel I should qualify my position FOR THE RECORD (ha - geddit)

As part of a main vocal, I am not a fan. Actually, I strongly dislike it. But I don't think you can put BV ooohs and aaaaahs into this category. I love a bit of ooohing and aaaahing in support of a melody and lyric.

What I dislike is singers giving it 'woah yeah' as part of the 'lyric'. And while there are countless examples of very successful and otherwise good songs having this element, I don't think you can make the claim that they bring anything to the song that couldn't be delivered by a 'proper' lyric. Therefore, I don't think 'Living on a prayer' forms the basis of a strong argument :p

So ner-ner :D

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »
I say any sound that the human body can make (except maybe burping. p*king and f*rting) is fair game in the right place in the right song. I've heard (and liked) grunts, cries, ooos, aahs, finger snaps, toe taps, claps, knee slaps, not to mention everything Matt does with his plug-ins  ;D ;D
But I do agree if a "whoa or oh yeah" sounds contrived it can hit a sour note for me too.

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 07:28:40 PM »
I think i have given this example before, so apols if i sound like a broken record (ha....geddit?!  ;D )

...but what about the "lie-la-lie"s for the chorus of "the boxer".... They mean absolutely nothing, but who can imagine that song without them now? And that's the WHOLE CHORUS of a lyrically driven (and lyrically brilliant) song....

I think Paul Simon only ever intended them to be place fillers, but probably even he couldn't imagine it any other way now....

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 07:34:52 PM »
You can't argue a "right or wrong" with opinions...

But I also can't let you off the hook that easy TONE  ;D

... I can't see any difference between the use of non-words in LIVING ON A PRAYER than any of the other examples

In fact I would even argue they are MORE important as they help connect the emotion and energy of the song
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

GilgaFrank

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 08:13:43 PM »
haha, ok then ... let me backpedal a little. I posted that after hearing Sting doing a live version of Roxanne where there's a 2 minute break in the song while he just goes ROXXXANNNNE-OH WOAH OH OH ROXXXXANNNNE OH DE DOOBY DOOBY DOO". And I wanted to strangle him.

Points taken about The Boxer. But compared to something like Bob Dylan's It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), those lie-la-lies don't really hold up. For me.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 08:20:24 PM »
I take your point Boydie, and I was only (half) teasing about the Bon Jovi thing. Maybe for you, it helps you as a listener to connect with the song. But for me, it helps me to be annoyed by the song.

I'm firmly on Gilga's side of the fence here. Paul Simon being possibly the greatest living songwriter, I don't think the chorus to the Boxer is his finest hour. Sounds like an unfinished song to me. The fact that it's highly successful doesn't really have any bearing - just listen to his other hits and I think it's fair to say it would have been just as successful if he'd finished the lyrics.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that he was put under pressure to record the song before it was finished, rather than choosing to leave it with the placeholder chorus.

Horses for courses eh? But I still maintain that I AM RIGHT ;) :p

GilgaFrank

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
I never thought about it before but I'd agree about The Boxer sounding like a "placeholder" chorus, something to get the chords and melody figured out before writing something permanent. "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" would be another example, the writer actually admitted that was all he could think of and yet it's made him a rich man.

Hmm, maybe these people are on to something.