how do I find the "right" genre?

• 6 Replies

Olly Culley

• Busker
« on: September 11, 2014, 10:17:36 PM »
Hi guys,

Im not new to songwriting but I've always seemed to have a problem with finding a genre that I feel completely satisfied writing in as well as changing the kind of music I listen to and play a lot, making it hard to write successive songs that are in the same style.

Is this normal for songwriters or is there a way to find the right style of music I should be focusing on?

Cheers,

Olly

AlexMo

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 12:27:18 AM »
Write in whatever manner best expresses your ideas; let somebody label it later.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 12:48:33 AM »
Good advice from AlexMo - I'd say just write the songs you have in you. Over time you'll develop your own songwriting voice - this, along with the sounds & rhythms you choose to use in your recordings will define your genre.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 12:54:22 PM »
I have the same problem, Olly. I say go with it.
My last album, I conceived as a one-band mix tape. The Styles were all over the place, and I just presented it as such.
Like Alex said, let somebody else label it.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 01:37:10 PM »
1+ on what Alex said.

Alternatively you can write songs "in the stylistic ballpark of xxxx" like those lame Taxi listings ask for and sell your soul to the devil for money..

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 10:57:13 AM »
I find it useful to consciously take 1 of 2 approaches...

1 - just write what comes out

This is what people refer to as "writing from the heart" - do not get "tied down" by genres, styles, approaches - just write and record whatever comes out and let the subconscious dictate the style (which will inevitably be shaped by your influences in one way or another)

2 - pick a genre / style / brief to write to

This is where you can sit down and decide you want to write a pop, rock, blues, dance, hip hop etc. track

You might approach it by listening to a song you like and "emulating" the style, production, approach etc.

You might even want to write commercially and follow a "lead sheet brief" - which is not as easy as some people think

These approaches are not mutually exclusive and may morph in to each other - OR, you might hit on the "holy grail" of writing a song from the heart that fits a brief and has commercial success or critical acclaim

However, both approaches mean you just need to WRITE so I would say just crack on with the writing and worry about genre later (or not at all!!)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Graemepryce

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 05:40:15 PM »
I can never quite work out what Genre I write in either. I think I've invented my own. lol

I've been told I sound like Radiohead, The Doors, Floyd, Muse, The Beatles and god knows who else but I haven't actually ever tried to sound like anyone other than myself.

Some of the stuff I've written myself has been inspired by me trying to achieve the same feel as some of my favourite tunes but by the time I've picked a few bits out and added them into my own brew of amateur strangeness they never end up sounding anything like the tunes that inspired them.

Like someone else said - just be whatever comes easiest to you. Let other people decide what genre they think you are.