So, what are you listening to today?

• 134 Replies

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 10:59:44 PM »
Spent most of today driving so,
Who's next by The Who...obviously, Steve McQueen by Prefab Sprout, Wind and Wuthering by Genesis and Just because in the mid 20th century Classical music lost the plot. Let's not forget that there was some great stuff out there before.
Call me an old romantic but today I've been listening to Richard Strauss, The Der Rosenkavelier Suite OP59. and if you've got 5 mins check out this Debussy number.

The old classical boys could put so many great hooks in to one piece. Lots of them as throwaway lines.  :o Talented B'stards.  ;D
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 01:39:00 AM »
Hi mihkay, love your eclectic choices. I'm listening to heavy weather by weather report, awesome playing particularly the late Jaco pastorious and Wayne shorter. I also like the queen of the night from mozarts the magic flute, huge vocal range required. Bill brufords earthworks is great jazzy stuff and Allan holdworth's guitar playing on any of his stuff is fantastic. Listening to Beck a lot as just saw him live, great!
There's just too much to listen to!
Cheers could go on for hours!
Jamie

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 12:34:34 PM »
Great thread and so interesting. I guess I kinda differ. Instead of listening to albums or artists I've always had an inclination more towards songs. Granted there are a few artists like The Clash, Queen, Bob Marley, The Eagles that I prefer but apart from this I've always found myself listening to maybe 4 or 5 songs from artists rather than their entire catalogue. Never really been an album guy. In terms of what I listen to on a daily basis it kinda changes depending on mood. The fact I sway more towards songs than genres or artists means there is an unholy and unnatural range of songs on my MP3 player. I always have it on shuffle so I never know whats coming up. There are quite a few songs I listen to regardless of mood etc but others I might skip on a certain day yet listen to 2 or 3 times the next. Today I've been in a real Pop kinda vibe and have been giving Maroon 5 a right lash. Yesterday I was in a 80's classic mood belting out the Bangles, Blondie and Fleetwood Mac. Tomorrow God knows......   

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 09:25:03 PM »
The Wailers Burnin' and Emmylou Harris Roses in the Snow

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 11:01:47 PM »
Thanks to another thread in the bar this week, I'm immersing myself in this
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 11:22:14 PM »
Currently, i am lying in bed with my Ipad on a Sunday morning listening to my neighbour mowing his lawns.

I T      I S     N O T      P L E A S A N T    ! ! !

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 09:25:03 PM »

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 09:45:39 PM »
I' m listening to a band called Curve from the early 90s. awesome stuff

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 09:56:24 PM »
Nothing that exotic or ecletic I'm afraid. Trying to download U2s free new album from iTunes and faliling miserably. Listening to Ed Sheran and George Ezra - who wins that one hands down. And Roddy Frame, Tom Petty and the fabulous Heartbreakers and the truly excellent Judie Tzuke.  
:)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 07:42:23 PM »

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 08:47:14 PM »
Just discovered this - really like it: Father John Misty - This is Sally Hatchet

Gary_W

• Busker
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 10:54:09 PM »
Just discovered this - really like it: Father John Misty - This is Sally Hatchet

Good thread :)

I stumbled across Father John Misty a few months back.  This one

Warning before you click.  Weird, freaky or just plain sick.  The concept of the song appears to be about bunking off work to have sex in a graveyard.

But then I really enjoy this kind of thing; the darker side of life appeals in music on occasion.  For this reason, I'll never be that far from a Nick Cave song.  I love Jubilee Street which again takes a love song in a far less normal and sweet direction that is comfortable.  I won't post the video link as it's even fruitier than the above.

Also getting into this guy

He's done an album that is full of Handsome Family covers.  I love the Handsome Family (again, dark and unsettling subjects) and Andrew Bird's cover versions more than do them justice.  Check out 'Cathedral in the Dell' for some of my favourite lyrics.

Going to see Alt J live next week.  And then going to see Bombay Bicycle Club in a couple of months. 

But I can listen to and enjoy almost any style.  There is just soooo much good stuff out there.  It's just finding it ;)

Sunfighter

• Busker
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 10:21:12 AM »
I had the massive good fortune to see Kate Bush two weeks ago and I still have Ariel on a constant loop after she performed so beautifully.

Funnily enough I was listening to it while cleaning the cooker yesterday!  Not particularly interesting I grant you, but one of the songs on Ariel is based around a washing machine.  I have read KB say that you take your inspiration where you find it, and that it can be anything.

As I cleaned the cooker I thought, can you get a song out of this?

For me the answer is probably no! But I bet someone could

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 11:03:21 AM »
Gary & Sun, Yes, and Yes!

Andrew Bird is such an interesting artist, although I have to confess I know nothing of the handsome family.

But I do love a nice, dark lyric. Hence my penchant for the likes of Tom Waits & Laura Marling.

Kate Bush - man am I jealous that you were able to go to that gig Sunfighter! As for getting a song out of a washing machine, chance'd be a fine thing. I can't even write a song at all at the moment. Fortunately, I have been able to write lots of music to existing songs and instrumentals etc, but will be nice to see this drought finally pass....

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »