These days

• 24 Replies

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 07:40:17 PM »
Most music today is complete unadulterated shit. Why? Because of the Internet. Rock music has been dead a good ten years, since the release of 'Is This It?' the last really game changing album to be released. The very last great new band to emerge were the Arctic Monkeys in 2005: the year before downloads were included in the top 40. I know TWO other people who listen to Rock music. TWO!!

I was struck by a old review reprinted in the NME, stating that an album, released in 2002, would be the Rock album that 'everyone is going to be talking about this month'. That really struck me. No-one of my generation even talks about albums let alone rock music, which has been in a desolate and disparate state since the fall of the World Trade Centers.

Rock and Roll is now an obscure genre like Jazz or the Pre-War Blues. All but dead. It hasn't collided with pop music for almost 20 years.

Now the reason for this. The Internet. When the Internet popped it was assumed that it would 'make it easier' for new bands to emerge. What was disregarded was the fact that plenty of young bands were breaking without the internet at an impressive rate, and had been for 40 years. The internet has dramatically reduced the work rate of everyone in every field. No longer does one have to endure the ultimately satisfying and gratifying process of mail order nor do they have the skills to manually edit type-written manuscripts. The same process has occurred with music. Bands should be formed in long sweaty rehearsals in garages and boozy basements, not huddled around an IMac.

Robbie Robertson, lead guitarist and principal songwriter for The Band sums it up well: the bands around now sound like they got a guitar for Christmas then decided to make an album. By the time The Band had cut their first (and brilliant) record, Music From Big Pink, they'd already played together for 8 or 9 years in every seedy joint imaginable. The internet has proved a fatal distraction for musicians. The priority should still be playing music and not fiddling about hopelessly with technology. The fact remains, you ain't gonna get a record deal! Why? Because not one rock and roll band has broke since the internet took over our lives in 2005.

And hey, I'm a hypocrite just by posting on this forum. We're all to blame!

could not disagree more. You are simply failing to keep up with the changing trends in music. Yes, the internet has helped facilitate some shit, but it has played a massive part in the success of some great bands in the past few years. You simply have to look for it. The single charts are no longer a reflection of good music (just like eurovision), they are merely a reflection of good marketing. Most good bands these days dont even really bother with singles. The mere fact that you read that toilet rag called NME is an indication that you have fallen out of touch of good music and are just as much a product of good marketing as the people who listen to music you are criticising. 'Getting a record deal' isnt even the be-all and end-all anymore. There are great and successful bands who dont have a record deal, and others who signed one as kind of an afterthought, or just to keep things in order. Yes the strokes refreshed an old style and did it exceedlingly well, but it was then marketed to death and every band in skinny jeans was quickly signed up. IMO, the view, the pigeon detectives and other crap like that signalled the end of that era, coupled with the fact that the strokes have pretty much been reliant on the brilliance of their debut to sell the preceeding albums, along with franz ferdinand and the like.
Music has and is evolving. The good bands that make a name for themselves now are more musically intelligent, they dont care about skinny jeans and are not catering to the teen-young adult market like the strokes. They have longeveity, they arent concerned with singles charts. They are found by looking through the blogs and internets and paying attention, rather than just dismissing it because you cant find good stuff in a few clicks.

gibsona07

• Open Mic
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 09:04:39 PM »
Essentially I want to listen to guitars on 7" vinyl, not synths on mp3. Frankly I'm not too concerned that mainstream rock doesn't exist, there's too many Dylan bootlegs and 30s gospel still to listen to. I'm just disappointed that my generation has to search blogs for good music and not pick it up on single in the non-existent record stores the internet has killed off. In any case, you're probably a generation (or two!) older than me, meaning that you'll never understand me  :D (spirit of '76 and all that). In any case, the fact that new bands are focusing on putting their music out on the internet instead of in tangible form saddens me, movements are formed on wax not on 'The Sea of Cowards' as Jack White puts it.

I'll agree with you though that all of The Strokes subsequent albums are fairly poor (as I said, there's only been a handful great of albums -that great artform - made since) and that the NME is utter bollocks (I only purchased it to keep on the Dylan birthday banter). I'm sure there is great music out on the internet, but it's never going to capture the imagination of my generation as it's only going to reach a small proportion of people. Getting a tangible record deal and playing live should still be the priority.

Also, vinyl is on a massive boom. I know far more people who regularly buy vinyl than those who buy CD. Even casual music fans my age (16-18) are buying turntables. Young people want tangible music!

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 09:41:22 PM »
Essentially I want to listen to guitars on 7" vinyl, not synths on mp3. Frankly I'm not too concerned that mainstream rock doesn't exist, there's too many Dylan bootlegs and 30s gospel still to listen to. I'm just disappointed that my generation has to search blogs for good music and not pick it up on single in the non-existent record stores the internet has killed off. In any case, you're probably a generation (or two!) older than me, meaning that you'll never understand me  :D (spirit of '76 and all that). In any case, the fact that new bands are focusing on putting their music out on the internet instead of in tangible form saddens me, movements are formed on wax not on 'The Sea of Cowards' as Jack White puts it.

I'll agree with you though that all of The Strokes subsequent albums are fairly poor (as I said, there's only been a handful great of albums -that great artform - made since) and that the NME is utter bollocks (I only purchased it to keep on the Dylan birthday banter). I'm sure there is great music out on the internet, but it's never going to capture the imagination of my generation as it's only going to reach a small proportion of people. Getting a tangible record deal and playing live should still be the priority.

Also, vinyl is on a massive boom. I know far more people who regularly buy vinyl than those who buy CD. Even casual music fans my age (16-18) are buying turntables. Young people want tangible music!

Im 22, so hardly a generation older ;). Why are you so sad about being able to use the internet to find music? Live playing is still a priority for good bands, the net is just a convenient way to make their music accessible. By the way you write, you still seem to have an opinion of a record deal as some mystical holy grail, but its not.
Vinyl is on a boom compared to cd because mp3s are simply better than cds - more accessible, portable, wont break. Vinyl will always live on for the purists. Searching a blog for good music is not much different to searching a record store, except with the bonus that you can hear it first. By all means go out to the shop and get the physical version if you like it!
There is and always will be great bands out there for those willing to find it, regardless of the charts.

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »

Not all mp3 music is synth based. You can get every kind of rock in that format. And the vinyl resurgence is because of dance music (synth based). That's what your friends are after. (Only two of them like rock, remember.)

The market follows demand and young people obviously want intangible products that are portable. They don't want to do what we did at your age which is tramp around with a heavy box full of warped and scratched records.

To suggest that mainstream rock doesn't exist is deluded. Do you walk around with your eyes closed.

You think it's hard having to search for good music? You're a teenager, what makes you think it was any easier in the past. When I was your age we relied on Top of the Pops, Radio 1 top 40 countdown and the Old Grey Whistle Test to hear music. Yes we could read about it in NME and Sounds, but you couldn't hear it because all those fabled record shops actually only sold what was in the charts. If you can't find what you like on the internet then you're just not trying. It wasn't better in the old days. Foreign bands, that's a laugh. The edge of the world was the beach at Benidorm.

And if you did find the record you wanted by someone who wasn't a chart regular (and you only found out about them because of some freakish stroke of luck that put them at number 5 in the middle of September, and no one on Top of the Pops knew how to dance to it) the single would be 50p, about the price of a gallon of petrol, or an album was a fiver (average weekly wage in 1976 £35 quid a week.)

Movements are not formed on wax because records are not made out of wax. And if Jack White was starting out in the old days he'd probably be a record company 'loss leader' because habitually rock bands were signed as tax write offs and never promoted, only a lucky few got the support necessary. Most were dropped after one album.

The problem you've got is that you're to young to remember what life was really like thirty years ago. It wasn't a glorious playground of sound and light, it was grey, limited, expensive fucking horrible time to live. And if anyone tells you otherwise, they're lying.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 10:56:24 AM »
Its that teenage rebellious phase where you determine that everything is shit because the NME and other teen mags tell you its cool if you think everything is shit, you want everything on vinyl because thats 'cool' , but really you are just following whatever fad the 'cool' mags tell you is in. I know, I lived it just a few years ago. But then you will go to uni, be a student and suddenly vinyl will look very expensive and cumbersome, skinny jeans arent as comfy as normal jeans, you go to concerts and clubs every other night and exclusively eat beans as you've spent all your money on concerts and you don't mind trawling through blogs for new music cos the other option is studying.
Then you will realise that there is loads of good music, and that mp3s and the internets are a god-send.
Then you will get towards your last years of uni, when your music tastes are pretty much cemented, your favourtie blogs are bookmarked and studying is slightly more important. You hardly even deride the NME anymore as you either: a) just dont really care anymore, b) got so wrapped up in music that you fancy yourself as a writer and are forging ahead with that or c) got so wrapped up in music that you fancy yourself as a musician, in which case your room is littered with copies of sound on sound, scraps of music, spin and random old instruments that 'real' musicians have.

gibsona07

• Open Mic
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 11:09:08 AM »
tbh, ramshackles probably has hit the nail on the head... I'm just being pretentious and rebellious...  but the miner's strike looked so fun in hindsight!  :D (I'm joking!)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 12:36:05 PM »
Lol, Im just being cynical

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »
To anyone who fancies building themselves a time machine and going back to the 70s this is what you'll find:

medium wave radio
tank tops
orange paint
greasy hair
Brotherhood of Man
Ku Klux Klan
Guildford pub bombings
Austin Allegros
Sale of the Century
scuffed shoes
hubba bubba
grassless football pitches
violent teachers
candlelight
thick beards
inexplicable nosebleeds
black and white magazines
Bay City Rollers
Evel Knievel crashing again
boiled tongue salads

In fact the only two things that could be held up in defence of the 70s are Jeaux sans Frontiers and the chocolate bars might have been bigger than they are now.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 10:04:11 AM »
Inexplicable nosebleeds!? LMAO

I dunno - the 70s were responsible for their fair share of heinousness, but I think the 80s was a worse decade culturally and musically.

Here's my short list of good things in the 70s
James Taylor
Neil Young
Paul Simon
Disco music
The Labour Party (not nu-labour)
Hotel California
Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix
Joni Mitchell
Sly & the family stone
Janis Joplin
Stevie Wonder

A decade of legendary music as you can see. What were the 80s like?

The miners' strike
Mrs Thatcher
Privatisation of Britain begins
New romantics
Duran Duran
Fluorescent socks
Shakin' Stevens
Ra-ra skirts
Heavy Metal from Iron Maiden to Bon Jovi to Metallica - a.k.a. hair metal
Eric Clapton
Films starring Tom Cruise
Sonia and Sinita
Kim Wilde
Wham
T'pau
Stock Aitken & Waterman
The Pet Shop Boys
Haircut 100
Bonnie Tyler
The cold war
The Falklands War
Ronald Reagan
Saddam Hussein
The Afghan War & Osama Bin Laden's CIA beginnings

I could write a much longer list. ;) The only thing that really kept the decade going was Prince. And Crowded House made their first album.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 11:39:18 AM »
Ooh I forgot Elton John. He should probably be on both lists :p
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l