is it me or has anyone else just fed up with the music of these days

massa

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:04:05 PM »
I've just fed my dog if that counts...

spacedogg

• Open Mic
  • Ooo yes it's up there somewhere
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 12:02:16 AM »
what stuff are you referring to, Postmn? Chart pop? Dance music? Rap and Hip Hop? Give us a bit more detail and also tell us what you think is really good/what inspires you.

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 03:54:03 PM »
No, I think there's too much good music at the moment, there just aren't enough hours in the day to listen to it all. Aly and Fila continue to find an hour's worth of trance every week, there's the back catalogue of Laura Pausini to get through, still listening to Nightwish and Tarja Tuurinen, Rammstein can do no wrong, The Fall continue with their shock and awe, The Qemists were another recent discovery... I could go on.

You need to 'Tube Hop.' Start with one artist and look at associated videos by other artists, and see where it leads you.

postmn

• Solo Gig
  • I am not done listening to myself
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 05:43:45 PM »
i mean chart songs, theres loads of songs just about getting money and chicks

spacedogg

• Open Mic
  • Ooo yes it's up there somewhere
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:33:17 PM »
I agree Postmn. I think the quality of the majority of current chart tunes has never been at a lower standard than it is now. They have also become less appealing to people. Doesn't downloads account for the majority of single sales now too?

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:02:48 PM »
Chart music is not representative.
It has always been thus.
There has always been shit in the charts, good grief I lived through the 70's. There was so much shit!

There is always good music and "popular music" by which I mean music for people with cash to spend.

OK. I don't wish to go through my thesis again...... but..........one last time then I'm referring back to here.....

There are people who enjoy music. They enjoy all sorts of music. They grow up listening to contemporary music, they grow and they look back and appreciate classical, jazz, blues, folk and much more. They grow and they accept each new form as it appears, they separate the innovators from the followers, the wheat from the chaff, and they maybe even create themselves. They are the MUSICIANS.
Then there are people who like what their generation likes. The peer group conformists who are dancing at their wedding's to the same thing they were dancing to at their 6th form disco! They like the music that their friends like, and their friends like the music that the marketing man told them to like???  These are CONSUMERS!
And why not. Who says music should be important? But also,  just because something sells does not make it good. In his lifetime Van Gogh was unrecognised! Many great artist died in poverty and unrecognised..... but I'll bet that Jimmy Page will be remembered long after Kylie is forgotten.
In the words of the late Bill Hicks   "If any of you here are in sales or marketing.............Kill yourselves......"

So in conclusion. There has always been shit, live with it. JUST KEEP ON BEING YOURSELF.
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 09:42:24 PM »
i mean chart songs, theres loads of songs just about getting money and chicks

You need to go git yersel on that there internet boy! Aint no good relyin on the charts to git your music.

For every artist in the charts there are a thousand not in the charts. You are sitting on top of an untapped oilwell. Ignore the charts and start looking elsewhere.

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 05:10:03 PM »
seems i started a big debate here, not a bad for a newbie ;D, i've started listening to depeche mode, not a band i was ever 'into' but i think i missed out there!
Learner guitarist

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 08:14:53 PM »
.......................not a band i was ever 'into' but i think i missed out there!

I could give you a list of bands I never heard of as I was growing up, but loved as soon as I was introduced to (thanks to many people)... or found accidentally...or came across chasing a genre...
I'm still coming across great music in all styles from the 15th century to the bloke busking in my local!

It does get harder to find stuff that is "new" or "different" (even more difficult to create it), that grabs your ear as your musical knowledge expands and in my case as you get older..... :-[ ;D  but it's still worth the effort.
I still get surprised following a You Tube Thread. Find a band you like, find an associated link to something you don't know follow it and see where it takes you, then follow another unknown.... you may come across something wonderful.
For a contemporary band redefining psychedelia...Start here..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jekYAm3fkA&feature=fvwrel  AND SEE WHERE YOU END UP.... I dare you!  8) ;D

Mihkay
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

murfman04

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 04:11:03 AM »
There's little new music that interests me anymore.
And when there is, I'm genuinely shocked.
I like obscure unpopular music normally, and sometimes what I like gets popular and that sucks all of the fun out of it for me!!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 09:41:43 AM »
The music that gets the most promotion in the media tends to be aimed at kids, therefore, it's of a poorer quality than most of us want to hear.

BUT there really are lots of great artists and bands out there; you just have to go looking for them as Mihkay and everyone is saying. Maybe we should start a thread sharing lesser-known artists with one another?
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 03:31:05 PM »
As everyone on here (should be) is capable of producing music, then saying you are fed up with music these days is dismissing all your own efforts.
If anything, there is more good bands out there than ever, music is much more accessible, cheaper to make and available to everyone. The downside of this is that it is easy for music to get populated by as much crap as good. Rubbish 'musicians' can become sensations because of a funny video, or even by being spectacularly crap.
But good music is out there. You just have to look for it. Personally I quite like it, in fact this month alone Fleet Foxes released the album of the year so far (for me).

Plus, music is timeless, thats the beauty of it. There is nothing stopping anyone listening to music from any decade, back to 100s of years ago!

gibsona07

• Open Mic
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 02:08:04 PM »
Most music today is complete unadulterated shit. Why? Because of the Internet. Rock music has been dead a good ten years, since the release of 'Is This It?' the last really game changing album to be released. The very last great new band to emerge were the Arctic Monkeys in 2005: the year before downloads were included in the top 40. I know TWO other people who listen to Rock music. TWO!!

I was struck by a old review reprinted in the NME, stating that an album, released in 2002, would be the Rock album that 'everyone is going to be talking about this month'. That really struck me. No-one of my generation even talks about albums let alone rock music, which has been in a desolate and disparate state since the fall of the World Trade Centers.

Rock and Roll is now an obscure genre like Jazz or the Pre-War Blues. All but dead. It hasn't collided with pop music for almost 20 years.

Now the reason for this. The Internet. When the Internet popped it was assumed that it would 'make it easier' for new bands to emerge. What was disregarded was the fact that plenty of young bands were breaking without the internet at an impressive rate, and had been for 40 years. The internet has dramatically reduced the work rate of everyone in every field. No longer does one have to endure the ultimately satisfying and gratifying process of mail order nor do they have the skills to manually edit type-written manuscripts. The same process has occurred with music. Bands should be formed in long sweaty rehearsals in garages and boozy basements, not huddled around an IMac.

Robbie Robertson, lead guitarist and principal songwriter for The Band sums it up well: the bands around now sound like they got a guitar for Christmas then decided to make an album. By the time The Band had cut their first (and brilliant) record, Music From Big Pink, they'd already played together for 8 or 9 years in every seedy joint imaginable. The internet has proved a fatal distraction for musicians. The priority should still be playing music and not fiddling about hopelessly with technology. The fact remains, you ain't gonna get a record deal! Why? Because not one rock and roll band has broke since the internet took over our lives in 2005.

And hey, I'm a hypocrite just by posting on this forum. We're all to blame!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 02:12:20 PM by gibsona07 »

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 06:08:40 PM »
Call me thick but I'm not sure what point you're driving at here. Are you saying there are no new rock bands coming through and therefore we're having to listen to those already established, or are you saying that everything in rock is bad these days, including the output from long established bands?

Chris