konalavadome

AND LA AUGUST SOTM WINNER IS....

• 26 Replies

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« on: September 01, 2014, 08:29:11 PM »

Before I say anything SEPTEMBER SOTM IS RECRUITING NOW if anyone wants to have a go at September PM me or comment below!

Okay now here's the fun bit! Firstly, I want to say big big big big big big thank yous to everyone who participated in this months comp, your votes and positive feedback about the competition mean the world to me and I'm so grateful to be a part of such a magical place with such fantabulous people :-* big love

Now, enough of me, onto the results- and they are VERY close indeedy...

There were a fabulous 26 votes this month *cue huge YAYs from Jess*... but in third place with 6 votes was Paulski We've Been Down That Road Before!

In second place...with 8 votes issssssss...Far and Wide by habiTat and Michael...IT WAS SO CLOSE THOUGH!

Because in first place, with the forum's favourite song of August, with 9 votes, was Inertia by Digger72 and Katja!

Congrats to all the nominees, I loved all of you and you have all been added to my daily morning playlists.

So now it is time for Jess to stop pestering you for votes and making really long topics with big pink writing and too many emojis...OR SO YOU THOUGHT! Just when you thought you could get away I'll be back in October for the SSSHSSC so don't miss me too much :-*

____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello to your beautiful forum face! I asked if I could judge August's competition because I did so last year (I'm officially offended that you don't remember) and I thought why break tradition ;D

I had so much fun listening to pretty much every song uploaded in August by every forumite that's had at least 100 posts, I am completely taken aback by how talented you all are: to write a song is one thing but then to produce, sing, compose, etc is just on another level. ROUND OF APPLAUSE TO ALL OF YA!

Normally I would just list my favourite 5 songs but I want to make it a bit more personal, because now I truly understand how much effort goes into your music I want you to know I appreciate your songs.

Firstly huge shoutout to the songs that didn't make my top 5 but were uber close: Neil C and PeeJay the introduction of Bad Apple is KILLER! Loved it! Neil again the chorus of Without Oar was great, really enjoyed it! And Dutchbeat well I have no idea what 'This Is Dutchbeat' was supposed to be but I loved it all the same! Yup I was dancing round my room...don't judge me ;)

But my top 5 songs of the month are:

Where is your soul by the rather fabulous Alan Starkie: https://soundcloud.com/alanstarkie/where-is-your-soul
Okay I admit I basically stalk this man- but can you blame me when his music is this good!? The guitar is just like an ocean of sound and then that voice is like a cat purring (in a good way. Like a very talented cat.) I love the simplicity of this track and the rawness of the lyrics :D fab!

Inertia by Digger72 (and Katja) the pair that NEVER fails to disappoint: https://thecomfortablystrange.bandcamp.com/track/inertia
This track is just so cool! The way it kind of swallows you and suddenly you're drowning in this amazing wall of psychedelic synth and the mysteriously beautiful vocals. Very impressed, can't wait for the EP!

Far and Wide by HabiTat and Michael: https://soundcloud.com/soncraeft/far-wide
STOP EVERYTHING AND GO AND LISTEN TO THIS SONG (well obviously you will have to listen to them all eventually so you can vote for your August SOTM but still). This song is epically anthemic, haunting and climatic, like a sepia rainbow, it just has everything. Definitely my favourite song from the Habi-Mich collabs, such complex production- well done guys!

Justice Will Be Done by Benjo and Pete (oh I do love a good collab!): https://soundcloud.com/arvidsonpeter/justice-will-be-done
When I read about the theme for this song I thought it would be really controversial and I didn't know how well it could be executed- but how wrong I was. This production is fabulous, the lyrics are respectful and there is a great passionate anger that flows throughout. It's a very brave modernisation of a unforgettable tragedy, but I really do think you've done a shining job- especially to incorporate the news report.

You've Been Down That Road Before by wonderful Paulski: http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/song-reviews/you've-been-down-that-road-before-7670/
If this song doesn't get your toe tapping then I don't know what will! This song radiates joy and demands to be noticed; the lyrics bounce like a spacehopper over the vibrant melody and there is nothing I would change. I dare you to try and listen to this without a smile erupting all over your face! Great job!

So those are my top 5 but which is YOUR favourite? Send me a PM before the 16th of September with your favourite track so we can crown our forum August Song Of The Month! If anyone wants to do SEPTEMBER SOTM then PM me too!

AND if you haven't already entered the SUPER SCARY SUPERNATURAL HALLOWEEN STYLE SONGWRITING COMPETITION which I am also running (haha you can't get rid of me ;D) then what are you waiting for? Enter now! http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/competitions/super-scary-supernatural-halloween-style-songwriting-competition/

I'll go now...but remember...GET VOTING! :-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:59:23 PM by Jess »
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:19:07 PM »
Hey Jess - thanks for the nomination and the positive comments.
You've really set the bar high for the rest of us on how to run a competition!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Paul

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:23:06 PM »
Do I have to vote for only one?! These are REALLY good. No idea how I'm gonna choose...
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:58:38 PM »
Thanks Jess.

You are so generous.

Good luck everyone.

Alan.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 10:01:27 PM »
You thank me now...wait until the 10th of September when everyone is sick of me harassing them for their SOTM votes ;D ;D
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 08:57:24 AM »
Hi Jess,

thanks for the nomination and kind words - it means a lot.

Does "the pair that NEVER fails to disappoint," mean we always succeed in disappointing? ;D

Good luck to everyone.

Digger

Jess

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 09:09:45 AM »
Haha I think that came out wrong!! Maybe it should be you always fail to disappoint because you never disappoint me? Argh I don't know!

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 09:52:34 AM »
Lol :D

I was just teasing. I know what you meant and it is appreciated.

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 06:04:29 PM »

HEY THANKS JESS

MADE UP TO BE NOMINATED AND WE FEEL HONOURED

and the discription you posted on all the songs is so profesional
  ever thought about a job in media

TONY / PETE

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 07:43:46 PM »
Wow thanks for the nomination, I'm sure Michael will be chuffed too  ;D

Thanks also for the kind words  :)

Jess

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 09:04:58 PM »
and the discription you posted on all the songs is so profesional
  ever thought about a job in media

TONY / PETE
Thank you so much! That would actually be such a cool idea- I'd love to blog about some of the stuff on the forum, song reviews, SOTM...it would be good for your coverage as well as me getting to write some stuff too...

Ooooooh....ideas....
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 03:23:10 PM by Jess »

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 09:42:47 PM »
Actually, Jess, that might be a nice feature - a monthly blog about the forum. You should ask Tone.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 09:00:20 PM »
Voted! Finally. So hard to make a decision.

If you haven't listened and voted already, DO IT NOW!!!!! :D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 10:06:32 PM »
I've voted, please do likewise.

Keith

Jess

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 10:37:05 AM »
Voting closes at 3pm on the 16th September, ready for the winner to be announced later that evening!

I have had an amazing 21 votes so far but now I am going to shame some of those who haven't voted (because I'm mean and I can):
Kafla
Jane99
Seriousfun
Dogmax
James Nighthawk
Hardtwistmusic
Gwyneth Rose
Boydie
Arkwright
Flossie

If you're name isn't on the list and you haven't voted then do it ASAP to prevent me up publicly naming and shaming you.

:-* Jess