Love songs

• 21 Replies

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« on: April 18, 2011, 10:56:38 PM »
I know its the spice of life and that and i respect peoples own love songs but why do so many people write about it ??
I get my inspiration from a lot of different things but am trying to give love a wide birth, of course theres nothing wrong with my love life ;D
Learner guitarist

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:35:53 PM »
Hey Jim!

I'm with you on this one. I don't know why so many people write about love when there's a whole world of less-explored subjects out there to tackle.

Not that I'm a miserable old bastard or anything, but love songs tend to be somewhat predictable and need something a little special to make them interesting... and good!

My favourite 'love' song off the top of my head is probably the art teacher by rufus wainwright. Or darling lorraine by paul simon. But the're both pretty different from your average love song!

What do you like to write about?
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

TNMC

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 08:21:49 AM »
I can only speak for myself here but generally i write about things which are important to me or significant to those around me. I do get my inspiration from lots of different things but few things move me as much as love, good or bad. Why are so many poems about love?  Why are so many films/books/insert any other art form here/etc about love? Because it matters to people. The artist or writer and the public can both connect to the piece on an emotional level as well. In general most of us seem to love a love song, cheesey or otherwise because we can relate to it and because it reminds us of good times or broken hearts.
Lets not get snobbish about love songs they are just as valid as a piece of "art" as any other song and deserve the same respect. Some of the biggest selling records in history are love songs, all those people can't be wrong, even if we don't get it. I don't understand chinese writing but it doesn't make it wrong.
Liam.

massa

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 10:05:51 AM »
The best songs, and most songs are about love in one way or another.

Love makes the world go round!

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* Share the love  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 04:24:17 PM »
Macca has done alright from love songs!  ;D

I see what you are saying and partly agree but I'd guess that from day 1 of songwriting, people have sung about love. In terms of commercial appeal, I would say that love songs are the most accessible by the majority. A song about eating apples won't have that general appeal. Personally when I write, love is perhaps my default setting though I hate being too obvious about the subject. Good call about Rufus, I like it when a writer does mainstream but in a new way.

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 10:14:16 PM »
I think you summed it up there Liam, fairplay.In answer to your question tone i'll probably be writing about whats on the news thru to personal stuff. I'm very new to all this and did try writing a song for Sian (the girl from my hometown Swindon who passed away) but because of my inexperience nothing i could write really served as a tribute to her so i think i may save this subject for another time.
Learner guitarist

ScottMcConnell

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 12:27:51 AM »
Love is the strongest feeling someone can have.  Wether it's falling in love, heartache or trying to findlove, I think its wat inspires people to write more than anything.  Does for me anyway...
18 year old, decided to start writing songs for enjoyment.

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 04:02:26 PM »
Love is the foremost expression of humanity, and I think you can write about human experiences without it always being in the context of love. I think for some songwriters love is an easy subject; throw a few cliches in and there you go. As Tone says if you're going to write about love make it special. For me one of the most interesting love songs is The Day Before You Came by Abba! A love song about what it was like not being in love.

Write about human experience and then love becomes a valid subject again, but I don't think it should be the 'default setting' for a song.

Chris

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 08:31:45 PM »
I've written songs about politics, childhood memories, friendship, hate, wasting time, losing and gaining this and that.....and I can put my heart and soul into performing them. But the only song that I've ever written and recorded, that I listen back to, or attempt to play that makes me emotional to the point of struggling to finish before I dissolve into tears of joy every time.....is a love song!
It's not my best playing....It's not the best recording...It's not the best production. It's a simple guitar and voice.... and It's emotionally genuine. AND I'M PROUD TO BE IN LOVE!  :D
That's why love songs reign over all. It's a basic human emotional state. Those of us who feel this basic and overwhelming  human emotion, but don't have the "Shakespearian" ability to express it, use someone else's songs.

If you wish to hear my amateur attempt at a Love song it's here....

http://www.jamendo.com/en/track/665883

Mihkay

I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 09:45:59 PM »
You do yourself a disservice. I wouldn't call it amateurish. It's simple and heartfelt.

Chris

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 10:12:36 PM »
That was wicked!
Learner guitarist

rossanne

• Busker
    • Rossanne Hamilton Official Website
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 08:18:19 PM »
I'm very new to all this and did try writing a song for Sian (the girl from my hometown Swindon who passed away)

Hey I'm from Swindon too. (Just thought I'd chip in.)

And since I'm here I'll just have to throw my cards on the table and say at least %80 (if not more) of my songs are about love in one form or another. Not proud of it, it's just what comes naturally. I've tried writing songs about other things but man, they're really difficult! Will keep trying though :)

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 09:33:38 PM »
love is like going to war, you know your enemy and things about them, you layout our plans and attack hoping for the best but the enemy can surprise you and you cud end up dead or you beat the enemy and get accepted by the enemy's people or it can go horribly wrong and you get hated by the enemy's people after a while and you have to leave.

RoyalMail

What the hell are you talking about?  ;D Why Royal Mail and not DHL or Deutsche Post? I'm lost for words.  ;D

postmn

• Solo Gig
  • I am not done listening to myself
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 05:18:06 PM »
forget that part

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 08:21:48 PM »
................. It's simple and heartfelt.

Chris

Thanks man....It's my most personal song and that's the best description / criticism of it I've had.

:)

Mihkay
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)