konalavadome

Crimson Tide re-write

• 3 Replies

jmacdon

• Solo Gig
  • Give me a lyric and I'll give you a song
« on: August 25, 2014, 01:15:10 AM »
I'm conscious that I haven't posted my drivel on here for a while, so here is something !!

I know that Jamie wrote a great song, but i've taken his lyrics and sort of turned them around. 

This is a rough demo (Jamie! you have heard this already!) and, depending on feedback, i'll re-record with a proper vocalist!   Warning:  it contains many chord changes......

https://soundcloud.com/hitfactoryuk/sneek-peek-crimson-tide

tokenangmoh

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 07:47:32 AM »
Hi.

This reminds me of Next from Stephen Sondheim's Pacific Overtures. And anything that makes me think of Sondheim can only be good. But that song works because it's so fast that the deliberately repetitive lyrics rush past you like an avalanche building momentum. This one is much slower, and I think it could really benefit from some extra pace.

I really like your chord choices and piano textures, but I don't want to sit with them; I want them to take me somewhere too fast and too scary.

Stow or throw...

Matt
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 01:22:23 PM by tokenangmoh »

Winter1982

• Open Mic
    • Winter1982
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 08:58:34 PM »
I've liked your stuff before. I like the qualities  in your voice, kind of like a sad clown singing to an empty theatre in and old film. It's really original and avante guarde and the odd piano that jumps around between chords adds to that. I like it, it's cool.
winter1982.bandcamp.com

jmacdon

• Solo Gig
  • Give me a lyric and I'll give you a song
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:54:30 PM »

I really like your chord choices and piano textures, but I don't want to sit with them; I want them to take me somewhere too fast and too scary.

Thanks for the feedback Matt.  I agree the song doesn't go anywhere fast, but repeats verse /chorus - this is something to work on - even if the "somewhere" is instrumental.... at least it's something.   The idea of speeding it up sounds interesting and I'll try this out  :) :)

@Winter:  I love the image of a sad clown playing the piano to an apocalyptic world - that does describe much of my work - quite frightening actually  ;D ;D  But not intentional  :-\