« on: September 05, 2014, 08:00:37 PM »

it's just a bare naked melody....

any advice? be blunt....

https://soundcloud.com/sephsleft

Jon Lamson

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 06:23:58 AM »
That might be tough if you expect to make a true song out of this

I would try to stick to the main riff, maybe tweak it a bit, and try layering some other instruments on top and see where you are.

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 07:30:45 AM »
Hi Sephsleft06,
Add words!  you will be forced into a lot of editing when you try to fit some words around it which will give it some feel, variation and twist your basic melody into something more expressive.
When you have some of the lyrics revisit the whole structure.  You may want more or less verses/choruses and consider adding a bridge to summarise the meaning in your lyrics.
There are some timing issues in this demo, if you replace the lead instrument with a real voice they should disappear.
Chords and harmonies!  music needs harmony as well as melody.
Vary the drums a bit to emphasise the differences in each part of the song.

I think if you try some of these ideas you will open the creative floodgates and soon have a much more complete song with a good melody, as you have the basis here already.  Good luck
GTB
GTB
GTB

sephsleft06

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 02:42:44 PM »
cheeers,
thanks for the advice....

I was just practicing some melodies,
with the aim of making them some bit catchy....and then taking it from there.....

thanks, again.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 07:29:02 AM »
Your question is interesting for several reasons.   

First - Your melody is all quarter notes and eighth notes with very few half notes and/or full notes.  If I were to try to make this fit lyrics, I'd want the freedom to create some variety with longer notes. 

Secondly  -  The question is interesting because I can't really tell (and this is just me, not necessarily everyone) by just listening what you are writing.  I'm very "visual" in terms of writing melodies.  I'd have to see this on paper to get a feel for what I might do to it.  If you wanted to get me that, I might be able to give you some real input.  And by "on paper" I mean notes on a staff, not just chord notation in this case. 

Third  --   what you have written is very difficult and sounds "un-patterned."   That's not a bad thing, but (as someone else pointed out) it would be incredibly difficult to fit lyrics to. 

So, anyway....   that's the best information I can give you for now.  If you'd like to get me some notation on the melody, I could critique it properly for you, and suggest some specific changes.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Dogmax

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 07:53:55 PM »
Hi Seph

Listening to your melody after the first 40 seconds you repeat the start and so on and that's really all a melody can do at this early stage but when you put words to this then hopefully the whole lot will full into place, if you don't have lyrics for this then the best thing to do is hum your melody to yourself and at the same time make up words to it, don't think about the words as lyrics just write what you feel with your melody in mind and then afterwards you can change whatever needs to be change, if you have an idea of what way you want to go with this then that's an indication that everything is there waiting to full into its rightful place but at the moment you're half way there, looking forward to hearing this already.

Best of luck with this Seph and a very warm welcome to you.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 10:01:32 PM »
Hard to give advice before I hear lyrics put to it.
But the advice about adding some longer notes is a good one.
Also, I think that countermelodies would suit this very nicely.