Feel The Love - New Song Im Working On

• 6 Replies

The Color of Oldfield

• Busker
« on: August 10, 2014, 12:04:50 AM »
https://soundcloud.com/peteroldfield/feelthelove

Would love some feed back on this tune...

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 02:24:47 PM »
I really enjoyed this - nice pace - good melody, excellent bridge, liked the repeat on the BV's. A really solid little song. Only suggestions I might make are that I found the guitar repeat throughout behind the vocal was just starting to jar a little as the song progressed so I wonder if you might create some variety and space in the arrangement by maybe having a verse without it, particularly as I really like the bass line and feel that could come forward. I also wondered if the phrasing on the chorus could change slightly - it felt like the lead vocal could maybe go up for the final note of each chorus again just adding a bit of variety - but to be honest I am being picky as I really thought this was great. Good luck with it. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
There was an eleven second lead in which I enjoyed.  THEN... there was another 22 seconds of the same lead-in which I endured to get to the song.   If I were listening on Youtube or Reverbnation, I would not have had the patience to get to your song.   I'd have clicked off and moved on to sample something else.  THAT is a real factor in today's music climate.

THEN.... when you got to the song, it was exceptional.  Musically and vocally it was both memorable and catchy throughout.   

I'd have enjoyed it even more if I had a lyric sheet to allow me to "hear" better.  The older I get, the less I'm able to separate sounds, and lyric sheets REALLY help in that regard. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

ArmstrongandStayte

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 05:01:37 PM »
Good song!

A couple of things to possibly look at :

1. harmonies on the "feel the love" line sung by the girl
2. I like the Gary Numan effect on your voice, but it's a bit too much - dry it up so you don't lose some of your diction. I found it a bit difficult to follow what you were saying.

Picky stuff, as the song, as others have said, is solid.

:)

The Color of Oldfield

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 10:40:39 PM »
bewarethisboy
hardtwistmusic
armstrongandstayte

thank you all for your comments, i know exactly where you are all coming from and will try and improve...

lyrics are a little sketchy, I'm ad-libbing at the minute.

Tonight, we take our hats off to you
and tomorrow will bring a new hope

for the silence
that keeps
me awake at night
is the sorrow
that fills the void

so lets not be mis-understood
come feel the love of the brotherhood
feel the love

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 08:56:35 AM »
Hi The Color of Oldfield,

I really liked the song but have a few points.

Firstly, I didn't like the vocal where the backing drops away. I'd have preferred a dry vocal to emphasis the words. When the music drops out it should highlight the words and the vocal and not the effects on the vocal.

Second at 3.20ish I was expecting the guitar to take off, it was nicely set up for a guitar solo that didn't come.

Finally, I thought the beat sounded the same all the way through and there wasn't enough variety towards the end. So how would you get variety if the bpm are the same all the way through the song? I would have sang faster and used more ad-libbing during the outro. I would have added more from the backing vocalist as well. The underlying beat stays the same but the vocal gives the impression the song has speeded up. The same could be achieved by adding more 8th and 16th notes to the basic beat.

As BTB says minor quibbles, feel free to ignore me if you disagree. Its still a very good song. Liked the words as well.

Keith

The Color of Oldfield

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 10:31:29 PM »
Thanks Keith for some very constructive comments. the song is on its early days yet, guitar needs a lot of work and the other points you have mentioned are well deserved.

Thanks again for listening and taking the time out to reply.