konalavadome

Empire Diner (Autumn in New York City)

• 4 Replies

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« on: July 06, 2014, 10:34:58 AM »
I found the chord progression in Justin Sandercoe's Beginner's Songbook. Whilst playing it I came up with some words to sing along with my playing. It started as a bit of fun. I'm not sure what to do with it so any help will be greatly appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/diademgrove/empire-diner-autumn-in-new-york-city

This version was recorded live with one microphone. I tried different tempos but this is the one I like best.

Lyrics

Caught the bus on a Monday morning
Caught the bus on a Tuesday morning
Caught the bus on a Saturday night
Just to see my baby

Walked to work on a Wednesday morning
Walked to work on a Thursday morning
Walked home on a Sunday morning
After seeing my baby

Watched the sun set Thursday evening
Watched the sun rise Friday morning
Watched the sun set Saturday night
Together with my baby

Bought the ring on a Tuesday morning
Bought our lines on Monday evening
She bought tea on a perfect morning
Breakfast with my baby

Caught the plane on a Thursday morning
Caught the place on a Sunday evening
We got home on a Monday morning
Married to my baby
Married to my baby
Married to my baby

Thanks in advance

Keith

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 02:39:21 PM »
I hope you don't mind me saying this - but this is totally bonkers - in a really perfect way!!! I loved every moment of it. Label and sell it! It is just natural and untouched/unaffected and bloody great fun. Love it. More please. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 10:05:33 AM »
I'm glad you like it. Not sure how much more in the same vein you'd get, my other stuff is usually a lot more weird.

If you could bottle love and handed it out the world would be a lot better place. I still have decided what, if anything to do with it.

Thanks again,

Keith

tokenangmoh

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 05:40:10 PM »
Hi Keith.

Do you have kids? This reminds me of the songs my Dad used to sing at bedtime.

On the other hand, it's also the kind of thing I'd use as background music in a play when something really horrific is happening onstage. It has an insistent positivity which would provide an interesting contrast to onstage violence - but there's something dark about it too... Maybe it's your voice or the way you strum...?

Could this be a surreal refrain that drifts in and out of one of your avant-garde epic productions?

Matt
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 05:50:25 PM by tokenangmoh »

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 09:22:31 AM »
Hi Matt,

yes I have kids, both now fairly well adjusted adults. I don't sing them to sleep for fairly obvious reasons but they did sit round listening to me murder Yellow Submarine, sometimes with different words, and a couple of other songs.

I thought I'd written a bouncy happy song. It may well be the way I sing but it still sounds happy to me. Having said that going to a play and hearing it played as someone (not my wife or anybody else's) is murdered does appeal to me.

I see it as a one off, no distorted guitars and modal playing. I'm not really sure if I can hear any drums on it or bass, which is why I didn't turn it into one of my epic productions ; )

I wanted a bit of advice about what to do with it.

BTB says leave it as it is and I'm considering it. I'm thinking of recording the guitar and vocal separately and adding sometime to the interlude, but I haven't really made up my mind.

I'm in the middle of recording 7 minutes of weird stuff which may or may not see the light of day. Depends if I can get a set of lyrics and a vocal I like.

Thanks for the comments, it sounds like you had a great Dad, I hope so,

Keith