A question about learning songwriting.

• 7 Replies

stefano65

• Busker
« on: July 21, 2014, 02:56:42 PM »
Hi,
my question is simple: is it worth to take the lyrics of a song (an english song) you like a lot, put out the bare words but keeping the metric, the stresses and the syllables and try to create a completely new lyric?
Just to train myself, i mean.
I am always trying to write something not in my native language (it's harder than i thought), maybe this method helps more than just sit and try to write something, anything?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 03:43:47 PM by stefano65 »

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 03:56:26 PM »
It's worth a try.

If you're training yourself to write in English, it may help more than you think to just copy out the words to some English songs in full. Not only will you get a stronger sense of how the lyric works, but you'll begin to experience what it's like to write a good English lyric.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 05:00:38 PM »
I do it sometimes. I find writing lyrics difficult. I have started rewriting the ideas expressed in the lyrics of one song with the metre and syllable count of another. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I feel anything that gets you used to writing is a good thing. If you don't like what you do, you can hide it away and nobody is the wiser.

Have fun, and remember to post anything you come up with, which you like,

Keith

stefano65

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 05:15:58 PM »
It's worth a try.

If you're training yourself to write in English, it may help more than you think to just copy out the words to some English songs in full. Not only will you get a stronger sense of how the lyric works, but you'll begin to experience what it's like to write a good English lyric.

So should i just rewrite a whole existing song?
Uhm...

Well, it could work, on a second thought... And it doesn't hurt, anyway :)

Thanx for the suggest tone

stefano65

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 05:26:46 PM »
I do it sometimes. I find writing lyrics difficult. I have started rewriting the ideas expressed in the lyrics of one song with the metre and syllable count of another. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Well, an original, brand new song too: sometime it works, sometimes not...  ;)

Have fun, and remember to post anything you come up with, which you like,

Keith

I will  :) Now i am working on a song, english lyrics, about a girl that plays with dolls (not a children song). I have the whole song (the concepts and the structure) in mind, the difficulty is to write it in english. If it were in italian, maybe in a week or even less it will be finished.

Thank you for posting, Keith
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:28:37 PM by stefano65 »

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 05:40:26 PM »

why not use both ?
could be unusual & interesting.

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

stefano65

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 09:12:27 AM »

why not use both ?
could be unusual & interesting.

If i were a gambler, i should answer you that a real player bets when the odds are 70% up, on his/her side...

I like the idea, but maybe now it a bit too early. I will consider it, however. Thanx  :)

stavcoby

• Busker
    • Reflection & the misplaced variety act
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 12:53:32 PM »
Any way you can get your creative juices flowing man, any starting point is good starting point.

Ill sometimes pick a song I don't know at all, in a chord book and use that chord progression, cos I don't know the song I aint gonna rip off the melody!!!

Or ill pick a random song and use its rhyme scheme, meter ext

Its all fun :)