konalavadome

How long do you spend writing lyrics every week?

• 13 Replies

Olie

• Busker
  • Permanently Banned
« on: November 02, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »
I think i average about 5 hours on a bad week and around 20-25 on some of my best weeks.

So how about you?

terrysains

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 06:52:12 PM »
I don't spend 'time' writing lyrics, but they are always there at the front of my brain, I write as I plod along, whatever I have to do, I have often pulled over whilst driving and grabbed the pen to remember a good line.
I've got about six songs on the go in my mind at the moment and put them on the laptop when I have time.
Happy writing I wish you well. Terry.

Olie

• Busker
  • Permanently Banned
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 07:20:28 AM »
I don't spend 'time' writing lyrics, but they are always there at the front of my brain, I write as I plod along, whatever I have to do, I have often pulled over whilst driving and grabbed the pen to remember a good line.
I've got about six songs on the go in my mind at the moment and put them on the laptop when I have time.
Happy writing I wish you well. Terry.

Interesting, you do no editing or "tweaking"? I usually get punchlines, wordplay like that. Sometimes i go on a long writing spree though sitting at my computer or with paper and look up after a second and it's been like 5 hours. 

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 04:40:44 PM »
25 hours!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!!!!?!?! I'm still waiting to pick my jaw up off the floor after hearing that figure!
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 07:22:05 AM »
I've made a resolution to stop writing new lyrics and finish up old ones instead.  AND... instead of writing new songs, I'll finish up and improve old ones.

So, on a good week, I only spend about an average of one to two hours on new lyrics, and maybe three hours on old ones.

In a bad week, I write two new ones. 

The good part about trying to NOT write lyrics is that you don't waste a lot of time on substandard concepts. 

The bad part is that you lose a lot of ideas that might go somewhere, or contribute something to another song if written down.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Olie

• Busker
  • Permanently Banned
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 08:59:29 AM »
25 hours!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!!!!?!?! I'm still waiting to pick my jaw up off the floor after hearing that figure!

That would be one of my best weeks, remember i don't produce my own music i only write and rap :P

Olie

• Busker
  • Permanently Banned
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 09:03:48 AM »
I've made a resolution to stop writing new lyrics and finish up old ones instead.  AND... instead of writing new songs, I'll finish up and improve old ones.

So, on a good week, I only spend about an average of one to two hours on new lyrics, and maybe three hours on old ones.

In a bad week, I write two new ones. 

The good part about trying to NOT write lyrics is that you don't waste a lot of time on substandard concepts. 

The bad part is that you lose a lot of ideas that might go somewhere, or contribute something to another song if written down.

Whenever i try to clean up old lyrics past a certain point i feel like I'm flogging a dead horse. I think even if you spend some time on substandard concepts the challenge of trying to make it interesting will improve your skills as a writer, it's not a complete waste of time (although it sure feels like it.)

Tester345

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 09:54:30 AM »
I spend a few hours per day, taking about 2-3 days to write the song.
I'm sure there were some that were longer, but they often relate to fandoms, geek culture, etc.
I write songs about geek culture, fandoms, life, love, people, etc.
Hopefully you can relate :)

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/luicacoustic
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/luicacoustic
Tumblr: http://everyscript.tumblr.com

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »

That would be one of my best weeks, remember i don't produce my own music i only write and rap :P
Damn I wish I could be that productive! I'm currently in a good songwriting swing so I'm writing about 3-4 sets of lyrics a week and composing about 2 melodies (which for me is very good) however I also have GCSE English coursework and that is time consuming :P
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Olie

• Busker
  • Permanently Banned
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 11:33:06 AM »
Damn I wish I could be that productive! I'm currently in a good songwriting swing so I'm writing about 3-4 sets of lyrics a week and composing about 2 melodies (which for me is very good) however I also have GCSE English coursework and that is time consuming :P

I probably spend about 3-5 hours total on each verse i write... 1 song a week is good for me, i throw away over half of what i write. Spend about another 5 hours memorizing lyrics, recording them right then adding EQ, effects, etc. I still feel really unproductive, i procrastinate with as much time as i write.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 11:44:14 AM »
I don`t spend a lot of time really....but write in phases like now.....maybe 2 hours a day@themo. but a lot of that is thinking time,, :)

Olie

• Busker
  • Permanently Banned
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 12:26:48 PM »
I'm making a video of screen capture while i write out a whole song, going to record everything then upload it with x64 speed or higher. Got the planning and the chorus done so far took about 3 hours.

Eospete

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 12:23:09 AM »
I try to make 10 mins to write each day. Something , anything. Very often it comes from a single phrase heard during the day which goes down on  a snatch of paper. In writing time it gets transferred to a song journal text file linked to dropbox so I can get to it anywhere. By writing in a single text file I get to see it repeatedly and add to it each time the file is loaded. I now have a 29 page document of song seeds as a rich source of information. Periodically I'll sift through it and combine similar themes. I'm often amazed how often I write the same concept over and again and when I do I listen to the muse telling me that concept must be important to me, that's why I never fight writing the same song over again as some folks seem to.
P

stefano65

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 02:00:56 PM »
When i am really, really lucky, i write 2 hours per week. "Lucky" because in sommer i work a lot (10-12 hours per day, 6 days a week and NOT in an office...). More: i am married and i wish to see and talk with her, sometimes...  ;)
This happen in sommer, with colleagues on vacantion, in a small firm.