advice

• 4 Replies

edils

• Busker
« on: June 12, 2014, 08:30:53 PM »
hey guys I'm a begginer songwriter and ı need an answer to a question which has been in my head for a while.

I usually write songs while messing around with my guitar,trying to make a song out of very simple tunes i find and I often manage to come up with songs in the genre that I'm into.For instence Jack White has always had a big influence on me .I love the way he makes great and unique songs from the little tunes which he found too. I wonder if spicing up and composing songs like him(he is just an example there are many other musicians that I want mention meanwhile) just comes naturally at any condition or ,beside natural talent,experience and years of songwriting allows him to be able to do that?

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 08:54:52 PM »
I'm not sure about Jack White but Lennon and McCartney listened to a lot of music and worked out why it was good. They then nicked the best bits and disguised them so people couldn't hear the source.

Listening to music helps you identify the structure, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge/middle 8, chorus or verse, verse, verse, verse, or putting a pre-chorus before the chorus.

You get to hear what melody lines work and what chords go well together.

Alternatively you could study the rules of music and employ them to write your songs. For example, what chords would I use in the key of G and then use them to write the harmony and melody.

You could mix them up, but the final judge is does my song sound like I've copied another tune, and if not, does it sound good.

Hope this helps, if not and you have some more questions just ask.

Keith

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 11:57:54 PM »
Some people seem to be effortless in their songwriting, but don't be fooled by this. I think it's more the case that the best songwriters are those who spend the most time listening, learning, playing and writing songs.

The more you write, the stronger your songwriting 'voice' will be. Jack White's is very strong, others less so. But your voice will reflect your personality to a large degree.

The best thing I ever did and still do as a songwriter is learn to play any really great song I hear. Don't just learn the verse & chorus though, learn the whole piece from beginning to end. You'll uncover all the little details that they never publish in those 'for buskers' books (God I hate those books).

I'm not exactly sure what your question is, but I think it might be: are songwriters born or made. I think the answer is both, but even the most naturally talented have to put in the work to produce really great work.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

stavcoby

• Busker
    • Reflection & the misplaced variety act
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »
Hi mate, listen, songwriting can be HARD WORK.  But, then again sometimes a song can just all of a sudden rush out onto your page, riffs lyrics the lot. 

I’ve found it all depends on being in the "mood" if that makes sense? Lennon & McCartney where very formula based in their songs, I suspect without actually realizing it themselves.  As someone already mentioned, they just nicked the tricks and turnarounds of songs they liked and incorporated them into their own songs.  I’ve read that they where very keen on setting themselves challenges.  For example, "lets write a three part harmony" like Smokey Robinson (“This Boy”).  Or let’s use C - Em sequence (“Eleanor Rigby”).

Jack White is a very blues based songwriter.  His music is very riff driven.  Whenever I want to write a Big rocky song like that, I try imagine walking out on stage at Glastonbury or something and try to day dream a cool riff up, sounds mad but it can work for me :) 

Good luck and just enjoy the process if you find yourself getting bored or frustrated, just stop.  As Lennon said himself, if a songs memorable enough you won’t forget it.

lors

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 11:58:16 AM »
Hi,

The thing with talent is we normally atrribute this to some innate ability. To an extent that's true. Our talent expresses itself in the things that we do that most interests us. And some have a more natural tendency towards certain things, be it in sports, public speaking, writing or in this case music.

The better we are at a certain thing, the easier it gets to express what's inside through that medium. Again for some it's easier. But it doesn't mean we can't get to that level with some work.

For me personally, I find that as long as I'm writing something based on an emotion I'm feeling, the process is a lot easier. I try to go with what feels right instead of going with a set pattern. Maybe you can try that as well?

Regards

lors