I said “You don’t scare me, Mr. C,
I never give up, I dance endlessly.
So make it as hard, as fast as you like,
You don’t realize I love a good fight!
So come on, Mr. C. and do your worst,
It’s going to be you that bows out first.”

V3
He pulled me against him and held me real tight,
In a fast, evil tango that soon became a fight.
He twirled me in circles, around and around,
Relaxed his grip and I fell hard to the ground.
Dragged me by the hair tried to pull it all out,
Hot mists of pain made me scream and shout.

V4
 I stood up to him again my back was straight
Swearing to myself this would not be my fate.
I stared him down and said  “Ready Mr. C? 
I’ll never give up this fight, between you and me
Then he backed away and quit saying with a grin,
“You’re too tough for me today you have your win!”

Repeat Chorus

Bridge out
Hear my message from me to you
Never give up, whatever you do
If you’re in the fight with Mr. C
Fight with every breath you breathe
You’re tougher than you think, you will see!
What your heart believes will bring you Victory!

All Rights reserved Gwyneth Rose

Poet and Lyricist always looking to collaborate. Write mostly out the box lyrics in most genres.
Amateur model, painter, love ceramics and sculpture. Make teddy bears, do belly dancing and love gardening especially roses

Gwyneth Rose

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:50:43 AM »
This is the number 1 killer in the world.... I bet everyone has been touched in some way by Mr. C.
 I wrote this for myself and for the specific group of people like the Cancer victims, to use as an encouragement song on a woman’s cancer site , a labor of love so to speak. But heck, so saying if, in it’s travels, this song gets the attention of someone with clout that it interests, for full commercial/monetary purposes to take a shot at that type of appeal, I could pull the verses together with the same rhyme schemes. It would be easier to change the first two verses than cut back what I think is a pretty neat story lines in the the third and fourth verses. I realize the same rhyme scheme makes it easier to memorize the lyrics for the listener

Just a foot note ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 08:00:32 AM by Gwyneth Rose »
Poet and Lyricist always looking to collaborate. Write mostly out the box lyrics in most genres.
Amateur model, painter, love ceramics and sculpture. Make teddy bears, do belly dancing and love gardening especially roses

onemanband

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 08:28:24 AM »
I have seen a few of your posts now and I am very impressed by your ability to pen a song.

This struck a chord with me - even though cancer has never had a direct effect on my life - but I have jrecently read Christopher Hitchens "Mortality" which is a quite candid collection of essays he wrote about his own diagnosis and eventual death to cancer. So it is a subject that has been doing lengths around my grey matter for the last few days.

"Dragged me by the hair tried to pull it all out,
Hot mists of pain made me scream and shout."

I think this line really cuts through - and its quite beautiful in a macabre way the imagery of it with in the methaphor of the dance

I think the narrative of the story flows really well.

I can't find anything negative to say, so I won't

Well done, I think with the right arrangement this could be a wonderful song.

Good luck with it.

Gwyneth Rose

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 02:49:21 PM »
I have seen a few of your posts now and I am very impressed by your ability to pen a song.

This struck a chord with me - even though cancer has never had a direct effect on my life - but I have jrecently read Christopher Hitchens "Mortality" which is a quite candid collection of essays he wrote about his own diagnosis and eventual death to cancer. So it is a subject that has been doing lengths around my grey matter for the last few days.

"Dragged me by the hair tried to pull it all out,
Hot mists of pain made me scream and shout."

I think this line really cuts through - and its quite beautiful in a macabre way the imagery of it with in the methaphor of the dance

I think the narrative of the story flows really well.

I can't find anything negative to say, so I won't

Well done, I think with the right arrangement this could be a wonderful song.

Good luck with it.
Hi Onemanband :-)

Thanks so much for the kind words. I really appreciate you comments. I think I'm going to change the title to "Dancing with Mr. C." It sounds better do you agree? Less depressing LOL
I have adapted this to a poem structure and was thinking of sending it to the cancer association to put on their website like I did with "Vincent and me" which the Van Gogh Gallery has accepted yaaaaaaay, it's going to appear on their official website soon :-) - Even if it helps just 1 person I will be so happy :-)

Getting back to this song, I have found a muso that's grudgingly going to do it hehehehe but he has said it's going to take some time to come up with the proper music arrangement for this, it's got to be both sad and happy at the same time heheheh what a challenge!!!  I might have to change the first 2 verses now for music flow grrrrrrr.
Thank again for the great comments.

Cheers
G

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
Really good write Gwyneth!
The story line is captivating.
Reminds me a bit of the "the devil went down to georgia"

A couple of minors suggs - keep or chuck:
change:
Always I see the bright side
to
I always see the bright side

and change
"He called himself “The Mr. C"
to
"His name, he said was "Mr. C"

Nice one!
Paul

Gwyneth Rose

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 06:30:10 PM »
Really good write Gwyneth!
The story line is captivating.
Reminds me a bit of the "the devil went down to georgia"

A couple of minors suggs - keep or chuck:
change:
Always I see the bright side
to
I always see the bright side

and change
"He called himself “The Mr. C"
to
"His name, he said was "Mr. C"

Nice one!
Paul

Hi P  ;D

Thanks so much for the great comments and suggs. I like them and definately will consider using them. What do you think about a title change to "Dancing with Mr. C."

JonnyD

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 10:49:02 PM »
Awesome topic, didn't realise at first what 'Mr C' referred to but when I realised the song hit so much harder. I lost someone very close to me to cancer at a young age

This verse

Is amazing... Literally this whole verse, there aren't even individual lines I could pick out xD

Agree with Paul that 'Mr C' sounds better than 'The Mr C'

A title change to 'Dancing With Mr C.' would be awesome in my opinion, it would certainly stand out

Good write :)
Was a snowman in a past life

Gwyneth Rose

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 07:35:31 AM »
Awesome topic, didn't realise at first what 'Mr C' referred to but when I realised the song hit so much harder. I lost someone very close to me to cancer at a young age

This verse

Is amazing... Literally this whole verse, there aren't even individual lines I could pick out xD

Agree with Paul that 'Mr C' sounds better than 'The Mr C'

A title change to 'Dancing With Mr C.' would be awesome in my opinion, it would certainly stand out

Good write :)

Hi RSM

Thanks so much. I'"m sorry to hear about your personal loss to Cancer  :'( It's a terrible disease.
Except the syllable count is pretty different in V1 and 2 so I'm going to have to work on changing them to match 3 and 4 now Grrrrrr.
Any help would be welcome,
 ;D
Cheers
G
Thanks

PeeJay

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »
Hi Gwyneth,

I really liked this one. Had a good positive message.

I particularly liked verse 3 which i presume is describing the symptoms of the disease.

A couple of days ago i went too see a friend of mine who is having his own 'dance of death with mr c' so it rang a bell with me.

Nice one,

Phil.
I don't know what i'm doing but i do it anyway.

Gwyneth Rose

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 07:44:58 AM »
Hi Gwyneth,

I really liked this one. Had a good positive message.

I particularly liked verse 3 which i presume is describing the symptoms of the disease.

A couple of days ago i went too see a friend of mine who is having his own 'dance of death with mr c' so it rang a bell with me.

Nice one,

Phil.

Hi Phil,

Thanks so much. Glad you enjoyed the message. Yes that was definately about the fight LOL
Sorry to hear about your friend. Tell him to fight and be strong. Fantastic that you are supporting him now. I can assure you it means a lot to him. Great to hear you are a true friend :-)

Cheers
G

Dead Weight

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »
Very powerful lyrics here Gwyneth.

How the 'dance' suddenly becomes something like an assault on the body (like dragging your hair, pulling it all out) is a powerful metaphor for the impact of the Big C & the treatments you've had to go through to defeat it.

Through my 2nd-hand experience losing my father to cancer nearly 5 years ago, I think you've nailed just how brutal it is, and how focussed and courageous you need to be to kick the big C in the nuts and send it packing.

Very good writing

Cheers

Dead Weight

Gwyneth Rose

• Solo Gig
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 06:36:49 AM »
Very powerful lyrics here Gwyneth.

How the 'dance' suddenly becomes something like an assault on the body (like dragging your hair, pulling it all out) is a powerful metaphor for the impact of the Big C & the treatments you've had to go through to defeat it.

Through my 2nd-hand experience losing my father to cancer nearly 5 years ago, I think you've nailed just how brutal it is, and how focussed and courageous you need to be to kick the big C in the nuts and send it packing.

Very good writing

Cheers

Dead Weight

Hi Dead Weight,

Thanks you so much for those kind words, more so, especially since you've been though this dance with your father being the Cancer victim. .  I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. People don't normally think about the victim's family, the trauma and devastation they endure with this fight.
My thoughts are with you.

Hugs
G

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 07:01:22 PM »

WOW

clever writing here, you use a lot of the actual things that happen really well
 its a very true story ok I've been touched with this in my family

and the way you use the dance as your draw excellent thought and imagery

this is a key topic around the world,
 so for me I would polish this until it gleams
 you get a great tune and vocal to this you could have a real gem

really enjoyed this and was touched by your work   WELL DONE

tony...

Gwyneth Rose

• Solo Gig
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 09:36:39 AM »

WOW

clever writing here, you use a lot of the actual things that happen really well
 its a very true story ok I've been touched with this in my family

and the way you use the dance as your draw excellent thought and imagery

this is a key topic around the world,
 so for me I would polish this until it gleams
 you get a great tune and vocal to this you could have a real gem

really enjoyed this and was touched by your work   WELL DONE

tony...

Hi T,

Thanks so much for the kind words. I really appreciate your support. Who knows, maybe someone with some clout, might sumble across it and send it out to the world as encouragement for the sufferers.

Cheers
G