konalavadome

Your Favourite Album

• 46 Replies

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 01:16:36 PM »
Hi Jess,

I know you asked for albums but a big part of my growing up involved singles. There was no way to download them for free and LPs cost so much more. It was a simple choice 4 singles over 2 weeks or save up for two weeks and buy an album. No contest really. Also some genres like glam and punk were mostly singles rather than full blown LPs.

So if you don't mind the odd single I'll chuck them in as well.

diadem

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 07:45:51 PM »
A few suggestions that avoids what's already been recommended {tip of the iceberg}:-

Ryan Adams - Ashes and Fire, Heartbreaker, Cold Roses
Bob Dylan  - Desire, Blood On The Tracks, Freeweelin, Bootleg Series Vol 1-3
Jackson Browne - For Everyman, Late For The Sky
Nirvana - Unplugged
The Verve - Urban Hymns
John Mellencamp - No Better Than This, On The Rural Route
David Bowie - Hunky Dory
T.Rex = Slider
Chuck Berry - Greatest Hits
Tha Anthology Of American Folk Music (edited by Harry Smith)
The New Penguin Book of English Folk Music {The Liberty To Choose cd} because reading lyrics is also very important and it's fascinating that songs written centuries ago can still be so interesting.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »
A single written by the greatest living US poet (according to Bob Dylan). Spending some time drinking his 1960s songs will do you no harm and, I suspect, a lot of good.

NicBDA

• Busker
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 05:59:11 PM »
Nice thread Jess!

For me, albums were a big thing over singles, though with itunes I have started grabbing more singles here and there (though still get albums every now and again)

Joe Bonamassa - Any album, live ones are very good - Music Entertainer (Blues/Rock) who has been paying his dues musically since he was 11 when he opened for B.B. King. Some great songs (many covers, as is blues tradition) and some great originals. Exciting player, though he admits himself he probably plays too many notes at times. He's part of a spearhead of reviving the blues.

Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction - I was young when it came out, but the songs were part of the background sound of my youth. Some of the content is raunchy, and there is mention of drug use. I'll leave you to use your discretion. Songs on it for singles - Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child o' Mine, and Paradise City (they got a fair bit of radio play) Also from the Use your illusion albums, November Rain is a nice rock ballad with some good synth-strings and flutes.

Led Zeppelin - Any of their albums. With them you get to hear a lot of other artists work as well (the lifted a fair few bits from others and there were as many law suits ;) ) but a few of my stand outs - Stairway to Heaven (probably their most radio played song), Since I've Been Loving You, Kashmir, Black Dog

B.B. King - Any albums - One of the 3 Kings of the Blues (probably the most well known, Albert and Freddie being the other two). Great touch and emotion through the guitar. Blues feel is all the way though so the lyrics are often simple but have meaning. Notable songs - The Thrill is Gone, Better not look down (an upbeat happy blues), When Love Comes to Town Ft. U2, I Like to Live the Life I Sing about, I'll Survive

Frank Sinatra - Has many songs he is well known for, and you can usually get compilation albums at Tesco (or other store) for fairly little cash. Songs - Fly me to the moon, Autumn Leaves, My Way. I'll add here that much of the music of this style/era have become Jazz Standards. For playing you can buy the scores of many songs in "Real Books" that give you the harmony and melody. For a vocalist you can add little twists to make the songs your own as an exercise ;)

Greenday - Nimrod - probably their most successful album. Teenage angst through and through. Up there with Nirvana in my books. Songs - Good Riddence (Time of your life), Hitching a Ride, and from the previous album, Dookie, When I Come Around

Nirvana - Nevermind, In Utero - Grunge, speaks to several generations - Smells Like Teen Spirit, Come as You Are, Heart Shaped Box, In Bloom - basically all of their work.

KISS - Sever albums, a best of will get you a good selection - Face painted Glam Rockers, KISS were/are excellent at writing hooks. Fairly simple songs played with gusto, but they tend to draw you in and get stuck in your head.

AC/DC - Back in Black, For those about to Rock ...so many... - Basic Rock and Roll that just gets into you. It's a simple formula that they haven't changed. "I'm sick and tired of people saying that we put out 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we've put out 12 albums that sound exactly the same." - Angus Young during an interview with Jim Farber (February 27, 2000) - Songs - any of them really.... Back In Black, Hell's Bells, For Those About to Rock, Thunderstruck

I'm sat here and there is over 22GB of music on my work computer alone. The above are some of my favourites though. And yes, most are either guitar driven or feature guitar prominently.

That should keep you going for a bit :)

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »
In terms of inspiration I'm also going to throw the Bangles and Fleetwood Mac into the mix. Both are older but both have many songs I think you'd like and that would fit your commercial Pop style. I dunno albums really but for Fleetwood Mac I'd suggest the tracks 'Don't stop', 'Lies', 'Everywhere' (complete with moonwalking pony of course!) and 'Go your own way'. For the Bangles I'd say give 'Walk like an Egyptian' 'Manic Monday' and 'He's got a secret'.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 06:58:51 PM »
Another massive Prince fan here (he wrote "Manic Moday" for the Bangles)

Any album really but my favourite is the "Symbol" album - it just has his symbol on the front 0-(->

This album has a great mix of genres, with a great bit of humour - "Blue Light" is just simply awesome

"Sexy MF" is a cracking tune (some profanity - I think you can probably guess)  ;) and one of my favourite all time guitar solos!!!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 09:32:52 PM »
Most of mine have already been said , i would add.

U2 -Joshua Tree

Pink Floyd - dark side of the moon + wish you were here .
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 10:04:53 AM »
Another massive Prince fan here (he wrote "Manic Moday" for the Bangles)

Any album really but my favourite is the "Symbol" album - it just has his symbol on the front 0-(->

This album has a great mix of genres, with a great bit of humour - "Blue Light" is just simply awesome

"Sexy MF" is a cracking tune (some profanity - I think you can probably guess)  ;) and one of my favourite all time guitar solos!!!!
Sexy MF is an incredible tune (so is my name is prince), but I can't believe symbol is your fave Prince album Boydie! :o You and I are going to have words ;)

In order of preference, I think my top 5 would be:
Sign o the times
Lovesexy
Parade
Around the world in a day
Purple Rain

(Jess, I apologise for slight thread Hijacking here, but I couldn't let that slur go unanswered ;) )
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 12:49:58 PM »
Aha, this is the problem with a thread like this, you think you've covered your favs, and then somebody mentions Prince and Pink Floyd. Two of my all time favs. I've seen lots of bands live but Prince was by far the greatest live performer I've seen. I'll have more favourites tomorrow!
Great thread!
Cheers
Jamie

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 04:30:49 PM »
(Jess, I apologise for slight thread Hijacking here, but I couldn't let that slur go unanswered ;) )
It's fine, it's a Pandora's box I'm definitely glad I opened!
My knowledge of Prince only stretches as far as When the doves cry (great song), kiss and purple rain, so I'll have to have a listen and then add to your debate :)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 05:07:37 PM »
Don't miss I Would Die 4 U ...... Best Prince song best song ever!!!

Dutchbeat

• Open Mic
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 05:30:27 PM »
ah:

Upstairs at Eric's from Yazoo

followed by:

You and me Both from Yazoo

;D ;D

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 10:24:25 PM »
Sexy MF is an incredible tune (so is my name is prince), but I can't believe symbol is your fave Prince album Boydie! Shocked You and I are going to have words Wink

In order of preference, I think my top 5 would be:
Sign o the times
Lovesexy
Parade
Around the world in a day
Purple Rain

(Jess, I apologise for slight thread Hijacking here, but I couldn't let that slur go unanswered Wink )

Sorry JESS - just got to have a quick "side bar" with TONE  :D

There is a very specific reason that I chose the "Symbol" album as my favourite PRINCE album - note I have said "favourite" album as per JESS's OP and not "best" album  ;D)

I own all of the albums PRINCE has released (and a whole load of stuff he hasn't  ;)) but the reason I favour the "Symbol" album is directly related to how I "discovered" PRINCE

My girlfriend (now wife) was a huge PRINCE fan, and so was my sister

I didn't really rate him at the time - I had heard he played lots of instruments but had assumed the guitar playing on his tracks was done by a "proper" guitarist and not just by someone that played lots of instruments and guitar happened to be one of the them

The guitarists reading this will know what I mean - you can immediately tell the difference between "someone that plays guitar" and a "guitarist"

BRUNO MARS is a perfect example - he is someone that "plays guitar" and even though the fans go wild he is NOT what I would call a "guitarist" (talking of which I would add "DOO-WOPS & HOOLIGANS to the must listen to album list for JESS)

Anyway, back off topic  ;) -  in 1995 I got tickets to see PRINCE at Wembley arena for my wife and sister, with me reluctantly going along  ::)

Unfortunately (for them) this was during PRINCE's "squiggle" phase and he was touring his then unreleased "Gold Experience" album - which was not being released because of the bust up with Warner Bros - he was not allowed to release the album so he decided to bring it to the fans

He didn't play any of his "golden oldies" (which I wouldn't really have recognised anyway at the time anyway) - BUT WHAT HE DID DO JUST BLEW ME AWAY  :o

He was basically "jamming" these songs with the tightest band I have EVER seen (Sonny T on Bass and Michael Bland on drums) and his guitar playing was just phenomenal

He played a heavy blues/rock solo, threw his symbol shaped guitar across the stage, picked up a hollow body jazz guitar and played a 5 minute solo jazz guitar piece

Everything about that show was AMAZING (and I have since obtained copies of it  8)) and I have been hooked ever since

As I couldn't get hold of the "Gold Experience" at the time (although had actually managed to get hold of all the songs prior to its release - and these were the days before torrentz!) I started going through the back catalogue and it was the Symbol album that struck a chord with me at the time

ALL of the other albums (including SOTT) are amazing but o(-> has always been "the" PRINCE album for me

I also like the GOLD EXPERIENCE and EMANCIPATION from this era

HOWEVER - I would MUCH rather see PRINCE live, ideally in person, but official DVD release, bootleg or even shaky camcorder/phone footage are still better than "studio albums"

Ironically he is touring the UK later this week but is missing out London this time  :( and I can't make the other gigs   >:(

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:26:00 PM by Boydie »
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 10:45:02 PM »
Probably my favourite single of all time. T Rex Telegram Sam.

Nonsense words by Marc Bolan, a funky rhythm and a great chorus/refrain. Oh to be young again.

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 01:47:20 PM »
I agree diademgrove, a great single, lyric was fun and cryptic but was mainly about his entourage and himself, Telegram Sam being his manager at the time if I remember correctly, Bobby was Dylan, Jake his personal assistant and being a Howlin Wolf was a reference to the Jeepster riff (another classic single) being based on a Howlin' Wolf song.

Enjoyed watching the clip.