Your Favourite Album

• 46 Replies

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« on: May 09, 2014, 11:27:54 PM »
Recently in music lessons we've been looking at the evolution of music from blues in the 1900 to the number ones of today. It's been really nice getting into 'old' music (by old I mean stuff written before I was born...which was like 1999 ;D) and I've been introduced to some great new albums like Blue by Joni Mitchell and artists such as The Doors and Bob Dylan, etc.

It got me thinking, I want to try to listen to something new at least every week, so what are your favourite albums? They can be from any era, any genre (just preferably not like classical) and by any artist and I will educate myself in the world of real music.

(You should really make the most of this opportunity, it is not often I venture out of my 'pop' comfort zone ;D)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 12:17:37 AM »
Right..Pandora's box dude!

Where to start?

Well anything from the Beatles back catalogue will give you a grounding in anything pre 1970.

I'll give you my "Desert Island Disks". That's an BBC Radio 4 program.... well look it up on Wikipedia. basically  it's eight tracks you'd take with  you if you were stranded on a desert island. It was devised in the days of 78 rpm records not iPods. Especially as the LP didn't exist until 1958.
Eight tracks should only take you 30 mins to listen to and everybody will give you a weird mix.

Now let me think for a while.  ??? and find the You Tube links.

I'll be back........ ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:25:43 AM by mihkay »
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 12:34:54 AM »
I think anything by Queen is a good call esp Live Killers and The Works. It's prob cheating slightly but the Platinum collection is amazing too ;)

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 01:47:07 AM »
Right here is a selection...but in the morning this selection will change. :-)

A fun track from the 30's.
Louis Jordan - Jack You Dead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NAUeL0D4SI

In my opinion one of Charlie Parkers best tunes if not his best playing. This "Be Bop" style was the "punk" of its time. Hated by most as too fast and "just a noise". Sound familiar?
relaxing at Camarillo - Charlie Parker 1946
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=775_0ecqZ9I

A song from the shows. Taking Jewish Klesmer and tweaking it to a story in Victorian London. Nice one. Watch the film, its excellent.
Reviewing the Situation - Oliver! Soundtrack Album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96rC4X_KWl4

These guys are brilliant. Ron Mael the keyboard player is brilliant. Great tune, brilliantly played and this is a live recording.
something for the girl with everything - sparks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnM3Iq977JU

Not everything in the 70's was galm. Read the text over this excellent Neil Young song.
Neil Young _ Ohio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkg-bzTHeAk

The father of Synth. Not pop, not classical, just brilliant.
Jan Hammer  - The Seventh Day - 1975
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMZUA78TaRM

Live concert recording. This song is so memorable that the band don't even sing. The crowd does it for them. I've been in that crowd. The original is brilliant. It's on the "Out of the Silent Planet" album.
Goldilox - Kings X - Out of the silent planet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx_YpamL3WY NO Vocal

US art school clever dicks. Videos are always excellent but this track is exquisitely produced.
stinkfist - tool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07pLGIgyfjw

This list is just what I though might give you an opening into some stuff. Some mainstream some not.

HAVE FUN!

Mihkay.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:51:02 AM by mihkay »
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 09:44:18 AM »
Damn Mihkay - that's a seriously eclectic mix!

And Jess, what a thread! What an ask! What a challenge! :D : D :D You're about to discover some hot-ass music!

Ok, it's gonna be tough not to overwhelm you, so I'm going to be as brief as I can. But I'm a believer in albums, so since you've asked for them, that's what I'm gonna give you.

Temple of low men - Crowded House

Sign o' the times - Prince

Grace - Jeff Buckley

Court & Spark - Joni Mitchell (even better than Blue in my opinion)

Blue Valentines - Tom Waits

If you only listen to one, make it the Prince, since pop is your thing. The man's genius will make you create a burning effigy of Lady Gaga and dance around it playing wah-wah guitar solos. ;)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 10:20:07 AM »
Wow wow wow wow wow! Thank you so much, I've now got 15 songs/albums to listen to already, mihkay that must've taken you ages so thank you!
I'm also a great believer in Queen, like I have been known to cry over Freddie Mercurys no longer existence because he was just so talented and it's so sad that he's no longer here. This could get emotional.
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 10:55:55 AM »
I think everyone gets that kinda feeling of regret that they weren't born or were too young to understand his true genius whenever Freddie Mercury died. Queen have actually had a surprising influence on some of the most successful Pop artists currently on the scene- Lady Gaga took her name from Radio Gaga while I read somewhere that 'Killer Queen' was the first track that shook Katie Perry out of her strict religious upbringing and got her bitten by the Pop bug due to the vibrance and intensity of the song. Plus I think its also overlooked that all 4 members of Queen were involved in writing songs for the band and all 4 wrote number 1 hits for the band.

When you are playing guitar like Brian May and belting out a tune like Freddie on a number 1 that you write you can follow suit of Gaga and Perry and attribute it to Queen too :)

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 11:33:52 AM »
Where, To, Start!

Beatles - The best album to start with is "Rubber Soul". At their Poppy Peak but with genius hooks galore. An album that doesn't date and is full of more ideas than some bands manage in a career.

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

This album is a beauty. It has long songs, but they are long for good reason. It is mellow, deep, and beautiful. How acoustic guitars should sound on record.

ABBA - The visitors

Abba are an album band. People forget this. This is my favourite as stands. Amazing harmonies throughout

Carole King - Tapestry

Just. Amazing. Songs...

These are four "obvious" choices. But they are obvious for good reason....

www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

EpiphoneEpiphany

• Open Mic
  • down the rabbit hole
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 12:00:31 PM »
Pink Moon by Nick Drake (definitely one of the best folk albums ever) [1972]

and

Elliott Smith by Elliott Smith (the guy in my profile pic) (also folk) [1995]

If you're feeling sinister by Belle and Sebastian (indie pop) [1996]

The Clash by The Clash (punk) [1977]

OK Computer by Radiohead (well alternative or whatever you want to call it) [1997]

Souvlaki by Slowdive (dream pop, shoegaze) [1993]

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:16:10 PM by EpiphoneEpiphany »

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 12:01:59 PM »
This deserves some good thinking about!!

The one that i never have to think about, but is always top of my list, is Blue by Joni. Court and Spark is also brilliant. And so is Hissing of Summer Lawns. But i think Blue will always be my favourite.

Gonna have to think on what else would make my list and come back to this thread.

Always great to hear other people's lists too, and discover stuff you didn't know before!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 12:27:01 PM »
Not definitive as I could change my view every day, but here goes.

Abbey road the Beatles
Ok computer Radiohead
Grace Jeff Buckley
Led zeppelin III
After the gold rush Neil young
In the court of the crimson king King crimson
Close to the edge.  Yes
So Peter Gabriel
Queen II queen
Anything by frank Zappa

Cheers
Jamie

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 12:42:07 PM »
I'm far too old for favourite albums, although there are a few I listen to more than others.

So here's one of them, "there is no up or down". Flower Travellin' Band: Satori

Enjoy,

diadem

Kevin j

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 05:08:40 PM »
these aren't terribly old albums but i'd they are perfect, you need to listen to them if you havent already-

''O'' by Damien Rice, this album is perfection, anyone who hasnt listened to it listen!

''A rush of blood to the head'' by Coldplay, their best stuff, well that and parachutes

''these streets'' by Paulo Nutini, unreal album
well, that escalated quickly..
-Anchorman :)

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 05:56:14 PM »
Hi Jess,

Ride The Lightning - Metallica.   May be it's because it reminds me of my youth, but this album is awesome, and even pips Master of Puppets for me.

Violator - Depeche Mode.          Alt synth/pop at its finest.

The Doors - The Doors.             Absolute all time classic.

Bring It ON - Gomez               Something quite different, but brill.

If You Want Blood... - AC/DC     My fave live album ever.

Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette   Quality

Cheers,

Digger

JonnyD

• Open Mic
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 08:40:10 PM »
Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd
Animals - Pink Floyd
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles
Rubber Soul - The Beatles
Tbh any Beatles album...