konalavadome

The word 'just'.

• 16 Replies

AlexMo

« on: April 24, 2014, 10:53:39 AM »
Not sure if this has crossed anyone else's mind, but I try to avoid using the word 'just' in my songs. If you need another syllable, it can help, but otherwise it doesn't really add anything to a lyric.

For example:

'I love you so much' vs. 'I just love you so much'

'I can't let you go' vs. 'I just can't let you go'

etc.

To me it's a wasted word and usually makes an already cliche sentiment sound even more generic, but lots of people seem to use it in their lyrics.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:31:18 PM »
I completely agree

As a "rule" any superfluous words should be removed from a lyric to "tighten" it

Sometimes this can even extend to removing words so the line doesn't make complete gramatical sense on its own but it can fit perfectly

As with all rules there are exceptions and the rules can be broken but I am a great fan of learning the rules and then consciously breaking them

I did exactly that with one of my songs

I had written a song "Someone Like You" - but because of Adele subsequently releasing her song I changed it to "Someone Just Like You"

I actually preferred the "just" on this occasion as it does emphasise the point but generally I agree that eliminating these types of words are the way to go
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Bernd

• Solo Gig
    • Bernd's Lyrics
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 01:53:44 PM »
or "and", "but", "yet" ...

I use them all (!) -
IF I need them to match the tune (that's normally in my mind when I write lyrics).

Sometimes I tighten my lyrics after they are more or less completed and I'm checking the lines for their metric consistency. Then I might also modify the tune in my mind to make it match with the now harmonized text. As long as it is only in my mind I can always adapt music and text mutually.

Bernd
Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician
likes rock but writes for anybody anyway ;-)

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 01:55:23 PM »
I agree with Boydie re the general rule and also about the exceptions to the rule. Sure some people may use 'just' superfluously just as others may use 'baby', 'yeah' and 'oh' in the same way but some times they become integral to the song. Examples being 'Just the way you are', 'Just can't get enough' and 'Manic Monday'.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 01:59:27 PM »
I have a song called 'Just you wait' :p

But I kind of agree - though I wouldn't restrict it to the word just - I'd say any word you add to make a line scan should be very carefully considered. I do think it depends a lot on how good the lyric is in general as to the degree of getting away with it you enjoy :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 08:54:38 PM »
yes it probably is an over-used word. I think it all depends.

If we are seriously trying our best to write a good lyric then the particular usage you elaborate on might be one of many things that we would try to avoid doing.

In your two examples 'I just can't let you go ' seems ok to me whereas 'I just love you so much' doesn't sound good, and this is something that I think is more important, for me at any rate.
Some words or phrases just (there it is) don't sound right in a song, in my view.

It so happens that my current song contains the line

'Was/Is forever just something to say.'

I think that's ok in the context because 'only', for example, or 'simply' wouldn't scan, and omitting the word wouldn(t have the same meaning.

Similarly "I'm just waiting for a friend" by the Stones.

Probably my favourite use of the word is in 'How can You Mend a Broken Heart' sung by Al Green where he sings 'I just wanna, I just wanna, I just wanna.....' about six times before the 'live again' bit. Not really part of the original lyric, just Al getting emotional.

Yes, it can be bad, but surely there are worse lyric writing sins.

Saying that, I don't like rules.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 08:43:34 PM »
Awww poor 'just!' I feel I need to start sharing the 'just' love :) I actually once wrote a whole English essay on the use of the word 'just' in Of Mice and Men and it was quite interesting
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 10:04:42 PM »
That does sound quite interesting Jess - tell us more! :D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Jess

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 10:54:13 PM »
Wellllllllll it was about how the inferior characters refer to themselves- the black stable buck says he is 'just' a 'black man' talking, and Curley's wife is 'just' a woman, so I was saying that about how the social historical context of the novel being set in the 20s/30s made these characters feel like they had to justify themselves because they weren't as important as the white males. The 'just' is very relevant because it's bringing yourself down, which reflects the prejudices of that era against the outcasts of society- they were at the bottom of the hierarchy and that created a self fulfilling prophecy that they simply weren't good enough. It was very long winded and talked about the plosive sound of the 'T' and stuff.

So as much as we all hate 'just' it got me an A* for 7.5% of my English GCSE so we have to at least pretend we love it.

And if you haven't read Of Mice and Men it is a actually great book. (Unlike Lord of the flies...)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 11:36:00 PM »
I'm going to support this  adverb..don't know why...just want to.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 03:56:05 AM »
I use it all the time for exactly the reason you suggested.  It's an extra syllable when I need one. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
YAY the just-appreciation-society has begun :D

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 09:36:42 AM »
Ooops! Just came across this post just now and I just wondered if you would just ignore my next song which, when I totted it up just now, uses the word just six times!

Now I feel just awful.

They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 12:39:53 PM »
let each word justify it's place, anything else is just... well unjustified ;-)
GTB

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »
Just so mate ... and um, I thought Lord of the Flies was just brilliant!

They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans