Looking for topline writers

• 4 Replies

cccc07

• Busker
« on: April 14, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »
Hi,

I'm a songwriter/producer from Switzerland and I need topline writers (someone to write a melody and lyrics) to my backing tracks. I make pop electro rnb music :

https://soundcloud.com/cgsongwriter/sets/backing-tracks/s-xAVru

I need someone who can sing and record themselves the toplines.

The songwriters split will be 50/50.

Please send link to your music/voice.

Bernd

• Solo Gig
    • Bernd's Lyrics
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 04:26:47 PM »
50/50 on the composer's share would be fair, I'd say. Normally, in the traditional music biz, this part would be 100% due to the writer of the vocal line, but since the advent of electronic 'beats' this has changed, I guess. And rightly so. But the lyricist's share should remain with the lyricist, shouldn't it? You're not trying to cheat, are you? The musicians' shares again could be shared among the parties.

It's easy, but it's not THAT easy ;-)
Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician
likes rock but writes for anybody anyway ;-)

cccc07

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:30:48 PM »
Hi Bernd,

As you say, things have changed a bit now as many people makes beats/tracks and others do toplines. Here is a very informative article about it, especially the top line section :
http://songwritingandmusicbusiness.com/articles/Songwriter_Co_writing_Splits/

I hope it helps. As you can see, I'm not cheating, but it's how it usually goes when it comes to splitting shares between a track writer and a topline writer. And I prefer to let people know from the beginning in case they're not comfortable with the share.

Bernd

• Solo Gig
    • Bernd's Lyrics
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 02:32:46 PM »
you seem to overlook the lyrics ;-)

In Germany 30% of the royalties derived from licenses for performances go to the lyrics part, and 50% of the ones coming from CD productions and the like. So it's not quite THAT simple...

But never mind.

Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician
likes rock but writes for anybody anyway ;-)

cccc07

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 07:03:45 PM »
I wouldn't say never mind. It's actually pretty interesting and of course not simple. And it's probably different from one country to the other.

I don't overlook the lyrics, in this case, it's just considered global, not a share for the music and another for the lyrics. This is not the traditionnal way, but this is how many people do with toplines, it's not just me.

It's quite well explained in the article I mentioned. You can always ask some question to the author, she seems very helpfull.  :)