konalavadome

Simple folk type song (work in progress)

• 15 Replies

stickboymusic

• Open Mic
« on: March 13, 2014, 03:05:06 PM »
Hello

I haven't been round these parts for a while (but i will start listening to others today). Here is a simple one take , one mic demo of a folk type song.

http://soundcloud.com/stickboy/song-of-silence-a-live-demo-of

It's going to need fleshing out musically to add interest I know.... I will add extra elements as the song unfolds.

Do you think it needs another verse/bridge?

Appreciate any feedback.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 12:26:36 AM »
Hey nice song...simple ,but clear and direct..nice work....BTW one of my brothers lives in Glossop!

stickboymusic

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 08:38:54 AM »
Ahhh small world.

Do you think it needs another verse or does it feel wrapped up as it is?

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 11:16:36 AM »
Ahhh small world.

I don`t know Stickboy...but listening to it again, i really wanted to hear a brass band kick in at about the 3/4 in...a nice horn playing would have been nice...anyone? :) would have added 30/40 seconds to it..maybe then it would feel more complete.....words wise, i felt it was fine?

stickboymusic

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 11:19:02 AM »
Ahhh small world.

I don`t know Stickboy...but listening to it again, i really wanted to hear a brass band kick in at about the 3/4 in...a nice horn playing would have been nice...anyone? :) would have added 30/40 seconds to it..maybe then it would feel more complete.....words wise, i felt it was fine?

Cool thanks man.

This is just a quick live demo - I would intend to flesh it out with other instruments and things once I am sure that lyrically it is fully formed.

Now if only I had access to brass....hmmmmm that WOULD be ace

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 10:19:58 PM »
Love your voice dude. Suits this tune perfectly. There isn't much I'd change from this demo version. Perhaps double track the basic rhythm guitar behind the other guitar part. Just to keep the rhythm and the levels consistent.
Otherwise keep as is.
 :)
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 03:51:57 AM »
Listened yesterday, but I was at work on a break and ran out of time before I could respond. 

Really liked this.  I'll have to come and listen once more just to pull it into the ole memory banks, but I'll try to listen again this weekend and give you some feedback.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 10:06:49 PM »
Wow man. What a sweet little song.

I loved it. I really did. So pretty.

Beautiful little instrumental break.

It's perfect as is.

Thanks for this.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 02:32:02 AM »
Listened a second time, and liked it even more than the first.  The tiny bit of familiarity really helps.  That means (I suspect) that the song is one of those songs that "grow on you" and become a favorite if you listen enough times. 

Got no earthshaking insights as to WHY I like it... but I certainly do like it.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 02:38:01 AM »
BTW... while I was on your site, I took the time to listen to parts of all your songs.  What a marvelous sense of music and prosody you have. 

If ever you wish to collaborate, I'd be happy to be part of anything you're doing.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 09:50:39 AM »
Hi, simple, direct, and musical. Like the vibe, you've got talent!
Jamie

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 02:08:40 PM »
what a great little song! Love it. You have a really good voice too. I don't think this song needs a bridge, there is a nice little instrumental in there that works really well. The only thing I might suggest is that you mix up the melody perhaps in the final verse - go up when you have gone down previously - perhaps hit another octave, it will really serve to add some extra variety and depth to the tune. But I am being picky - this good to go as it is in so many ways.

Hope this helps. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 04:35:55 PM »
Really nice song, played and sung well too. Don't think it needs any more verses really unless you come up with more lyric that you just can't resist using. A folk song like this can stand more length I think, but it isn't necessary.

There's always a temptation to add more instruments just because they're there but I like it as it is. (I'm sure you'll experiment anyway!)

Don't know about brass, but a big recorder (treble, I think - not one of those little things that everyone played at school) has a nice sound that would be OK.

Good work!

Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

stickboymusic

• Open Mic
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 04:40:42 PM »
Thanks people - the feedback I have had here and elsewhere seem to say to pretty much leave it as it is.

I will experiment with introducing something in that solo bit but won't mess too much

JonnyD

• Open Mic
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 01:04:30 AM »
You have a very nice voice, loved this song

I'm torn... Part of me loves the simplicity of just vocals and acoustic guitar, the other part of me gets to around 1:19 and thinks 'daym... Some gentle strings there would be the icing on the cake'

Hmm

HMMMMM

I'll leave the decision to you ;)

Loved this
Was a snowman in a past life