Heeeellllllppppppp (need help recording these songs)

• 21 Replies

dnafe

• Busker
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 04:26:03 PM »
Hey Phil

I just spotted this thread and thought I'd comment on your soundcloud recorded version..first impression is it's well recorded so your technique really doesn't need a lot of tweaking.

Second thing, which I think addresses your concerns is the actual mix...it's too dry, has too many instruments fighting for the same frequencies and lastly is it's too centered.

Start with deciding which instrument is your primary and give it the full EQ range to play with but don't let it get in the way of the lead vocals.

Second is take any other instruments and pan them hard right or left to start - see how this change effects the mix, the dynamics etc that you're trying to evoke...then adjust or change to your taste.

You might also try creating a wider track for the guitar by doubling, delaying and panning the guitar track to taste

Next you need to address the ambiance of the recording...you can apply reverb to any individual track, all tracks or to the main out to give the recording some life.

This can be a little tricky because newcomers to mixing generally over do it so be judicious in your use of reverb and delay

As I did for Tone I will gladly offer to do a quick mix at no charge to let you hear the full potential of this particular recording.

Just pm me

all the best
As always I reserve the right to be wrong

TMR Productions

TMR Productions on FaceBook

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 08:55:56 PM »
Ok fellow musicians! I'm stuck. I have lots of songs, around 15 in all and about 10 I want to get out there and I'm struggling to record. Have tried a few times and they are left sounding dead and empty. I prefer the rubbish youtube and soundcloud recordings I've done from the ipad. Why on earth is that?

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated. Is there even anyone out there who might like to record these perhaps? I'm trying not to loose the rawness of these originals. I like the songs to be about voice and guitar but they end up so empty when I try to record that way, my voice becomes small and tinny. So yeh. Any help super appreciated!

http://soundcloud.com/winter1982band/lost-at-sea-structure/s-QCr1P

Thanks

Phil

Okay..... I listened to the song about ships at sea.  I can hear what you are hearing about it being "empty." 

But the solution isn't to be found by another songwriter.... it's in the mix. 

If it were me, I'd try to add some strings with a very deep, ominous overlapping set of full notes.  AND/OR.... I'd try to add some Taiko Drums.  Both (or either) would add the gravity you seem to be looking for. 

But the songwriting part of the song is just fine.  It just needs some additional drama added by instruments you don't have access to.  The song is done.  Anyone competent enough to make something of it will be able to hear what it needs and add it in. 

What I've suggested is where I would START --  but there is  not guarantee it's what I'd end up with.  It's ALL trial and error when you add new lines of instruments in.  At least it is for me.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

David Graham Hicks

• Busker
    • David Graham Hicks
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 11:33:51 PM »
Hi, wow, loving Speak Loud...Awesome vocal too.  I think the recorded parts don't sound too bad at all (I get sent tracks that have been recorded waaaay worse of which I'm expected to transform in to radio ready singles within hours). I feel this track just needs a good mix and master.  Boydie is right in that you could do with a couple of mics on the acoustic (as well as the acoustic's pickup if you've got the inputs), that being said, I don't think the dark sound of it detracts from the emotion of this song, it could just do with some good ole EQ, compression and reverb.  I've got quite a few recording, mixing and mastering miles on my odometer (26 years worth), so if you ever want me to take a look at the mix of this song from the original Logic file (assuming you're using Logic 9 or earlier), give it a drop of my sonic alchemy, and pass on some mixing tips and tricks at the same time, it would be my pleasure.

I can't stop listening to the track, I especially love the build of voices and instruments near the end, wasn't expecting it the first time around, nice!

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 05:55:19 PM »

HEY WINTER1982

sorry can't help in any way but had to say

I BLOODY LOVED THAT ON YOUTUBE  WISH I COULD DO THAT

GOOD LUCK VERY TALENTED GUY

tony

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 06:21:40 PM »
As I did for Tone I will gladly offer to do a quick mix at no charge to let you hear the full potential of this particular recording.
I'd bite his hand off at this offer mate, Don's mixing skillz are epic, I was really pleased with how my track turned out. :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

TheWhiteRabbit

• Busker
    • Nether Sky on Soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 08:15:11 PM »
Yes right when you started to sing in that song I could tell one obvious issue that could be fixed. I did not read all the reviews so I am not sure if has been mentioned yet. The following seems to be your issues:

1) Accoustics. Some (room/recording space) areas can make vocal recordings sound flat and/or dull. Some can make have too much echo like a bathroom or large empty room with no padding. So with that being said where you record your vocals will be key and recording them seperately from the guitar would give you more room.

2) Mic control. Some genres or song styles take little mic control as long as your at the same distance the whole time. Your song and most of mine calls for more intemacy with the mic. A screen gaurd or pop filter is very important to keep any loud pops or hisses vocalists mouth from getting into the recording. When I record I try to watch the mic at times so I keep am in control of how close or far I want to be during certain parts of my creation. I personally use my vocal textures to add to the emotion of the song.

3) Lastly, make sure your equiptment is the best possible setup for the money. There are some great links in cheap recordings here that say it how it is. Personally I have an accoustic soundproof booth so nothing gets in our out. It is a christmas present all recording artists should get themself if they can. 

Before you take my word for face value listen to a sample of my vocals here: https://soundcloud.com/nethersky

Good luck,
The White Rabbit
(Nether Sky)

Winter1982

• Open Mic
    • Winter1982
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 09:45:08 PM »
Hey guys, haven't checked this thread for a while. Thanks so much for all of your comments, really great to hear and some really fantastic advice!

David graham hicks and dnafe, I'd love to take up your amazing offers on some support. Please inbox me if you are still interested, I'd really appreciate any help I can get!

Thanks again all!
winter1982.bandcamp.com