Gift horses....mouths....?!?

• 37 Replies

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 06:18:20 PM »
I kinda echo what Jess said in her concluding comments. I do try and review a broad scope of peoples work - lyrics more so than songs because I'm not a musician or producer and no little about production etc, hell I'm a pretty damn lousy lyricist at the best of times! - but inevitably I do tend to gravitate more towards certain posters than others. This isn't anything personal per se I think it just reflects that music hinges on personal taste and preference even when reviewing. Those that I do review more often than not tend to be closer to my own 'style' or what I aim for etc so I find that a) not only do I connect with and 'like' it more but b)I'm able to offer a better insight and feedback.

I mean when I review songs in particular if they are punk, prog rock etc I'm kinda at a loose en. I don't listen to that kinda stuff off the forum - different strokes for different folks and all that - and with my non-existent musical or production advice I find myself saying pretty general things that are probably of zero worth to the person. I mean other than saying 'I like' or 'doesn't work for me I'm afraid' I don't see what else I can add.

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 10:11:31 PM »
::)*looks guilty* ::)

Jess unless about 1070 of your 1076 posts were on your own songs, i don't think you've much to feel guilty about!   ;D  ;D

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 11:44:57 PM »
Ahhh having written all this i thought I'd better go back and check my own scorecard from when i first joined...... and.....well i wasn't the worst but not the best either...i did review other people's posts, but i guess not as much as i would now wish i had've done.....and then i disappeared off for a long time...although that was more to do with life circumstances than anything to do with the forum....but even so, i guess that made me one of the fly-by-nights....

So now i feel bad about all the ball breaking!!

It got me to thinking about how it feels when you're new. I kind of feel like part of the furniture now, so I'd forgotten what it was like..... I guess I've kind of been new twice. The first time i don't remember that well, but the second time i do remember how it felt. I'd forgotten, but i now remember...it was nerve-wracking. Partly cos of being brand new to songwriting/sharing, and partly cos of being brand new to a community of people who all seem to know each other and you don't know whether you'll be accepted....

I always felt that it's important to welcome people first (and bust their balls later :D ) but still, i am resolving to be more generous with the benefit of the doubt..... After all, it took me about 18 months to become the fabulous forumite that i am now  ;D  ;D

Even so, i really want to encourage anyone who's wavering between being the fly-by-night and actually stopping in for a while and getting involved to pick the latter.....................sooooooooooo much the better choice!  ;D

Ok, sermon over........ no more forum distractions.......i should be learning about "negotiating and contracting in procurement and supply"........back in a couple of weeks to practise what i preach!  ;D  ;D

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 11:21:49 AM »

something could be added to the rules where you must review a newbie at least once a week
 if there are newbies posted, but the same should be for newbies that they review at least
 three lyrics / songs before they can post
 maybe something along those lines if it can be monitored

but I do think there should be a system where if you post you can't just look for your buddy
 or person who always reviews your work I know we all have favourites and I think it's fine
 and yes review them but review a newbie to,  or some one you wouldn't normally review
 I suppose its easy to say and we're all guilty of it but that's my view any way
 and I honestly do think we all like a pat on the back now and again nothing wrong with that

HERE'S MINE TO YOU ALL  WELL DONE

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 10:38:25 PM »
this used to realy annoy me & i used to barge in & tell people they were selfish
it caused a lot of rows here but i didnt care & i ended up leaving 3 times over it i think
the problem is it doesnt affect you when your new here its only when youve got your feet under the table & feeling like its your home that you get protective & angry with people who abuse the forum
but it doesnt do any good bcos its not your home .....its just a forum for evryone
so people whove been here a long time & love the place get fed up with newcomers & so they leave
which is very sad
i cant stay here for long periods bcos the longer i stay the more frustrated i get with people who dont pull there weight so i go away till ive forgotten the place ...then i might come back again
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 09:05:15 PM »
im going to go away & become a newbie on a nother forum & behave atrociously & not review any bodys songs & flood the place with my own songs & ignore the rules & get banned & have a great time...im tired of being a old member here

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 10:25:22 PM »
im going to go away & become a newbie on a nother forum & behave atrociously & not review any bodys songs & flood the place with my own songs & ignore the rules & get banned & have a great time...im tired of being a old member here
Stay safe Tina and don't talk to strangers! (Advice from your teenage Auntie Jess ;D)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 10:50:09 PM »

Nooooooo! Don't go anywhere!

Give me 5 days and I'll be back in super review mode and I'll review everything 10 times to make up for the non-reviewers (who, by the way, don't know what they're missing)

Hope you're actually joking Tina?????.........

I actually had an idea......don't know what people will think or whether it'll do any good.....but it may help.....but I'm gonna come back to explain it in a few days when I'm exam-free and have time again......

Stylus

• Stadium Tour
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DJRAJBAROT
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 12:58:58 AM »
Whooze that lovley  newbie   the one stickin  her tongue out  with very small legz......anyway..
I popped  in to say  hello  & think it is very  important to acknowledge give,recieve,take & be a team player...   Oh   I've seen it all on here  Please like my link...link my like  my new  single  I'm david  dimble   my mums  nimble  mrs grimble  dont mumble but grumble or you'll tumble  & all that...

& the reviews  The  decent folk see  the whole picture  & what you  are trying to achieve or progress
in  creativity.....others   well   The ones that  discredit  & search & search  & cant find anything else  so they  say   oooooo  great song....but  it would be all right if it wasnt all left!  lol:)
                    so I gave up  being a  Rockstar  & became a  school dinner lady ;D ;D ;D

He,he,he,he    Stylus  :)

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 10:51:28 AM »

I AGREE WITH TINA SHE'S SPOT ON

it does get frustrating when you have reviewed and reviewed

I came back from doing FAWM and I made sure that in between
 to pop in and review a few things just to be fair
 when I came back I didn't recognise anyone witch for me is good bcos
 that means more people on site but where are the regulars
 surly they can still take a little time out to review but some don't review
 bcos they have nothing up but the people who do have lyrics / songs still want feedback

I must admit I've put things on other forums bcos of this and got more feedback

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 08:07:59 PM »
no ive got post fawm depression... i get it evry year...like benjo said its like being on drugs for a month  so  you feel sh*tty when its over
i spose i was being sarcastic... you come back here & find  a new load of peopel have walked mud all over the carpet
anyway its all been said before

stylus your funny  ;D

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2014, 09:15:51 PM »
TINA NEEDS A HUG!

*gives Tina a hug*

Anyone else want one?

No funny business, you hear me :p
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 05:03:49 PM »
thats realy sweet of you tone! i appreciate that!
& heres a kiss for you

*kisses tone*  

just a little kiss ok ...no funny business  ;D

actualy looking at my avatar maybe i shouldve given you a lick

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 08:01:09 PM »
i shouldve given you a lick
Oi oi,

now there's friendly, and there's taking it too far..... :o

:D :D :D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

little feet

• Busker
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 08:53:06 PM »
i guess i'm guilty of this. is that one of my lyrics as the thread title? burn.

when i first came on here i listened to alot of songs and tried to add some critiques but i found myself thinking "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" - this stopped me from adding anything, especially recently.. as for posting my own songs too much, i guess i've flooded the forum a bit.. although i don't think i've posted more than many others have. and i thought i contributed some.. not much recently as i've been busy with things in my life and haven't had the inclination or belief to add anything. sorry if i've got anyone's back up.. i'd already noticed that i'd annoyed a few people by "not heeding others advice".. that's all good and well i suppose.. although some of the feedback you get on here comes sideways anyway.. you people know who you are. and if someone doesn't want to heed your advice then what's the problem? your word is not songwriting gospel.. if everyone was like that ralph murphy chap (somebody posted a link the other day) - then i'd have no interest in music at all, ever. his 'law' is a sure fire way to write soulless crap. i'd rather listen to a badly written song from an honest place than hear a pristine song from a false, commercial mindset.

when i came onto the forum i was just hoping to get some feedback and trying to believe in myself by 'using' you guys as a "personal review forum" unconsiously perhaps.. but i guess i did it nonetheless - i'm very sorry for acting so selfishly so i'll keep on listening and i'll add some critiques to songs i think have promise and are coming from a good place.. i'll also refrain from adding anymore songs for a while..

so, i'm sorry for being selfish
i'm a very naughty boy
i hope you can forgive me
lots of love
little feet x