Gift horses....mouths....?!?

• 37 Replies

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« on: February 19, 2014, 10:08:14 PM »
Is it just me or does there seem to have been more and more people on the forum recently who post songs/lyrics and expect reviews, but who give none or next-to-none in return? And it's not even just new members either... What's going on?? It's right there in black and white in the rules - and even if it weren't, surely any sensible person would realise that that's the only way this thing can work?

I'm sure members who've been here longer than me will probably have seen ups and downs like this dozens of times over the months and years.... But I've really started to notice it in the last little while (i know I've not been around that much since xmas, but I've been keeping an eye on you lot!  :D ....and i will be back for another proper catch up soon).

I feel like i want to call people out on it but (a) i don't want to pick on anyone unfairly, and (b) i don't want to get myself a reputation as a ball breaker!!

I always thought i would not discriminate my review-giving based on how many reviews that person has given...but my resolve seems to have been broken already.... last time i did a review catch up, i have to admit, i did find myself checking whether the person had given any reviews, and if they hadn't, i gave their post a wide berth.

I'll generally give the benefit of the doubt to new members who haven't reciprocated yet, at least for the first song or so, esp if they show good intentions and general friendliness in other ways, cos i know some people might take a little while to find their feet or whatever, and it's good for the forum to be welcoming, and it doesn't seem right to kind of make people have to earn their stripes before they're accepted into the clique y'know.... And don't get me wrong, I'm not going to ever decide that I'll only give reviews to people who've given me reviews - i don't care about that - but if the person doesn't seem to be giving anybody any reviews, I'm afraid I've started thinking, why should i bother?...

Some of you kind souls are (still) generous enough to review people's work regardless of whether they've been making any effort to do so themselves, but i don't think i have the patience any more...... I'm not the only one am i? Am i horrible?

I don't like being negative like that, but as I've kind of been on the outside looking in lately, I've really started noticing it, and it's started annoying me....and i think as i haven't put a song up myself for a little while, i can say that without it looking like I've got a vested interest......

Don't worry, I'm not down on the whole thing......far from it, i still love the forum as much as ever, and i love interacting with the people on it, and I'm still in constant awe of how generous and knowledgeable so many people are........ Just would like it if some people would not seem to take all that for granted.

Have i just become a sour old miserable cow?!

tokenangmoh

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 01:37:14 AM »
Have i just become a sour old miserable cow?!

Welcome to the herd, caco!

I agree with absolutely everything you say. I've actually gone so far as to write sarcastic diatribes to people who don't comment - but I've thought better of it before clicking post...

(Yes, I am that sad.)

And while it warms the permafrost cockles of my heart that there are people nice enough to indulge persistent non-commenters, I would really prefer it if selfish posts were met with an echoing silence.

Again, it's not about commenting on my work; it's just about showing that you don't consider this place to be your own personal review service.

Matt

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 07:35:25 AM »
it's just about showing that you don't consider this place to be your own personal review service.

Exactly!!! How do people get the idea that that's how it should work for them??!

Hffffffff..... Anyway, i shall rant no further. Just glad i am not alone, and will stop feeling guilty about ignoring people (and maybe even allow myself to go about feeling all righteous about it  :D )

Thank god for all the (many) good eggs like you Matt!!  ;D  ;D

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:36:08 AM »
This topic comes up every 6 months or so

We then tend to discuss ways to "force" comments (ie you must make give 5 reviews for every song posted) but this is very hard to police and you are likely to end up with lots of glib comments

I also tend to give "newbies" the benefit of the doubt but if I notice someone posting that does not not review others I will not make them my "priority"

In fact, I tend to be a little more positive in my outlook  ;D

I tend to go "out of my way" to review those that contribute most in the way of reviews

If you do notice particular individuals please PM the mods or hit the "report post" button' which will send a message to the mods

We are then able to give "gentle reminders" without any individuals getting involved with other members and being seen as "sour old miserable cows" or "ball breakers"  ;)

I think giving those that you feel don't review a "wide birth" is probably the best action for an individual to take

I personally feel that this forum has remained pretty "clique free" and anyone wanting to join the community and participate is welcomed with open arms

Those that don't review and just post their songs tend to drift away as more people avoid them so they miss out on valuable feedback, which is ultimately their loss - karma in action!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 09:05:51 AM »
Boydie keepin it real. Yeah, this does come up pretty regularly, but as Boydie says, the drive-by-posters tend to, well, drive by after a while :)

The rest is karma in action.

Thanks for being the best miserable old cow on the forum caco ;) :) :D (just teasing) :p
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:09:19 AM by tone »
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 12:26:18 PM »
Does this 'rule' count for like the forum as a whole or per section ie. If someone contributes a lot in the lyrics section and then posts a song in the WIP section where they haven't really contributed...what does that mean? Are we saying that as long as you contribute in general to the forum you're out of the red or that basically you have to earn your keep in every section you're going to be posting in? ??? 8) (I've never noticed that emoji before, I think he's my new fave 8))
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 01:22:19 PM »
If you do notice particular individuals please PM the mods or hit the "report post" button' which will send a message to the mods

We are then able to give "gentle reminders" without any individuals getting involved with other members and being seen as "sour old miserable cows" or "ball breakers"  ;)

Then I'd be a miserable old ball breaking tell-tale snitch cow.. (I'd def be the best though.... Thanks for noticing Tone!  ;D )

Does this 'rule' count for like the forum as a whole or per section ie. If someone contributes a lot in the lyrics section and then posts a song in the WIP section where they haven't really contributed...what does that mean? Are we saying that as long as you contribute in general to the forum you're out of the red or that basically you have to earn your keep in every section you're going to be posting in? ??? 8) (I've never noticed that emoji before, I think he's my new fave 8))

As long as you're contributing and y'know....in the spirit....I personally don't think it matters at all.... One love. One forum.  8)  Peace out  8)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 04:18:45 PM »
Absolutely. I know the lyrics forum kind of has its own thing going on a lot of the time, but this is one big community where all contributions are valued.

Now where's that Bob Marley CD?... :D *dances*

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 02:57:15 PM »

CACO IS NO MISERABLE COW SHE'S SPOT ON

I've not been on here for a little while I'm testing myself else where at the mo
 but I really have been grinding my teeth at some of the people that do post but don't review
 I've stopped giving feed back to anyone who has never given me any
 like you say becky it really is common sense its that simple

but I've also noticed that there are some who only seem to post to certain people ie buddies
 you do form a close bond with certain people but I think it should be made clear that
 you should mix up your reviewing,  also do we stop reviewing others just because
 we have nothing to be reviewed, it is a difficult one and I'm sure we're all guilty in some way

but I consider this forum to be my home no matter where I go on other sites or challenges
 I always look forward to coming home just feels right here

MY GOD THATS TWO RANTS TODAY GOING TO LIE DOWN

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 03:34:52 PM »
Hello all, I am relatively new to the forum but I too have noticed that there are many people who post and as far as I can see sit back and wait to have comments but don't take the time to review any other work. I have stopped reviewing these people. Those who are new but immediately or even before they post their own stuff join in and review, I actively seek those out to comment. As for the regulars , I try to comment on those.Very often it's the same people who give their time, and I think that gives the feeling of 'mutual' support, but I'm not sure it's all 'back slapping'.
I also get p****d off with those who bump their own songs and end up with a comment per view giving a 50/50 ratio of own comments to reviews. That's a bit unnecessary and looks like a tactic.
That's my twopence worth!
Cheers
Jamie

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »
I very much agree that people should review. I try to. But I do sometimes find it hard to have something to say. So I look at lots and comment where I feel I can add. Is it okay/helpful to just add: nice? Or nice try, keep going. Dunno. But worth taking about.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 03:54:52 PM »
I agree with you Adam, it's often very hard to know what to say. And I think it comes back to the person creating the thread to help you (and me) out.

If you post a song without giving guidance as to the kind of critique you want, you risk people listening but not posting. I know because this happens to me quite a lot.

It doesn't take much to say where you are with your song, what you're hoping to achieve from the feedback etc.

If you're just looking for a pat on the back though, don't be surprised if you get more than you bargained for :p :D

tokenangmoh

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 04:55:18 PM »
I've also noticed that there are some who only seem to post to certain people ie buddies

I think you're right that there's an element of that, benjo - but I also think it's worth separating the idea that people gravitate towards reviewing musical styles they appreciate. There are some genres that leave me cold no matter how well they're done. For example, any opinions I might have on a prog rock track are several grades below worthless.

Sometimes I feel really guilty when people review me but I can't find anything even remotely sensible to say about their tracks...

(Btw, thanks for bumping my lonely thread!)

Matt

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 05:04:02 PM »
I actually think it's worth commenting even if you feel that your comment is mostly just repeating what others have said...cos, like Verlon often says - if one person makes a particular critique, you might not be convinced, but if lots of people say it, you might feel there's something in it and decide to "make that change" (just had a man in the mirror moment  ;D !) .....

I def wouldn't want to break anyone's balls over that though.....it's always up to the individual to decide how / when / whether they can contribute.

I know some people may have more knowledge / time / etc than others, and some are just more into the forum than others.... And that's all fine. We're all different. Everyone can contribute in their own way........ As long as they do contribute!

It's just been bothering me lately seeing people who somehow don't think the give and take thing applies to them....especially knowing how many people amongst them are there giving giving giving.....

I know the karma thing works eventually, but i wish those people would catch on more quickly.....and i don't wish them to catch on by disappearing......i wish them to catch on by getting in the spirit.....because ultimately it's so rewarding!

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 05:56:40 PM »
but I've also noticed that there are some who only seem to post to certain people ie buddies
::)*looks guilty* ::)

Okay, actually I'm guilty of like half the stuff in this thread so I feel I should...umm...defend/explain myself and my tribe of fellow forumites who feel the same.

When I joined I didn't read the rules (Shh don't tell tone... ;)) and I hadn't reviewed anyone's work before I posted, because I didn't really know what a forum was or how it worked so I just put myself out there and if was really nice when people reviewed me, so before posting my second song I reviewed them.
I think a lot of newbies lack this confidence- you don't want to jump in at the deep end, you just want to dip your finger into the water and see if it's okay. I think it's important to review their first pieced if work as like an encouragement to post further.

I think the 'rules' themselves can seem a bit daunting, like you have to comply else you'll be punished (school connotations) maybe just a friendly PM could be dropped to newbies outlining the three/five most important things opposed to a thread of regulations?

Onto forum relationships, I'm not going to lie, do I have people I will always review?...yes- it doesn't mean I won't review other people it just means that if I have five minutes spare I will review their work and possibly not yours but I do not mean that in a mean way! :-* :-* I recon everyone has preferences when it comes to users, even if they do not publicly air them ;)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle