konalavadome

Band Image

• 7 Replies

Gallowglass

• Solo Gig
  • Dime Store Saint
« on: December 10, 2013, 05:41:04 PM »
How important would you say image is to a band's success?

Me and a band mate are of differing opinions: I say very, he says not at all. Was looking to find what the forum thought.
Band recommendation of the week: Fit For Rivals? False. Renee Phoenix has no rivals.

'She can still hear the Rebel Yell just as loud as it was in 1983' - Thrash Unreal, Against Me!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 06:30:32 PM »
If you are looking for success then image is VERY important - and nowadays probably MORE important than the music and the talent!!!

If you are serious then you need to look at your band as a "product" and look at all of the different marketing approaches

Your "image" is like the packaging and promotion of the product

You need something "unique" to stand out and (unfortunately) I do not think the music is enough any more

It is all about supply and demand - a record company will only sign acts that already have a strong image and a following - they can afford to be fussy

This is due to things like YouTube, social media and economic pressure on labels that have made the "risk averse" - hence the rather bland mainstream music scene at the moment

If you can't convince your mate otherwise I would suggest thinking about what success you want
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 10:32:03 PM »
I agree with Boydie's comments although will say that in my experience the bottom line is you can look like a Baboon's arse and record labels won't mind - IF you have great following.

If an artist/band don't have great following then they better have some VERY good connections. It frustrates the hell out of me to say that but unfortunately it seems to be the case.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 10:47:17 PM »
you can look like a Baboon's arse and record labels won't mind - IF you have great following

I can completely agree and we are saying exactly he same thing

I would venture that the reason a band gets a great following in the first place IS because they have a strong band image (as well as good music) that the followers can relate to

It is all basic marketing - I have recently read some specific "band" and "music marketing" books and there really is no difference to selling a new artist or a introducing a new brand of baked beans

It still all boils down to basic marketing strategies, techniques, and tools

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 11:17:23 PM »
Yup!

Heartland Balladeer

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 01:42:42 PM »
Hey there,

this is my first post on the forum (apart from introduction) so for what it is worth here is my opinion.

I have heard bands play live and they can be a really good tight band playing their chosen style very authenticaly but not taken any consideration of their apearance, on the out side it may sound superficial but for me it takes away from the magic / atmosphere of a performace and leaves me wishing they had made the effort to asthetically fit the music they are playing.

I dont mean how a person looks them selves (pretty girl/ Good looking guy ect) I mean the way they present themselves on stage clothing wise.

for example, a country band where the front man is wearing an Umbro T-shirt and trainers,
Im not saying he needs to be waring a cowboy hat and chaps, i just think that performance is more than just the music, but not in a bad way.

This is only my opinion and what does it form me.
Hope this helps

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 01:38:34 PM »
That chap out of One Direction that everyone goes mad for looks JUST like a baboon.... so perhaps it is a bonus!

But yes, image matters. It always has. people forget that Lennon McCartney were pin ups. Would the Beatles have been so huge if the girls weren't screaming for them? Unlikely. THANKFULLY they made amazing songs dispite this.

They were musicians that looked good. Not chaps that looked good wanting to be musicians.

I think that might be the crux of the problem nowadays.

Acts are chosen for the wrong reason, arguably  :(

www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Winter1982

• Open Mic
    • Winter1982
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 08:11:10 PM »
Hey, I agree with most of the above, image is very important. I don't think it's always a cynical thing either - as has been mentioned image is as old as pop music itself. Elvis, the beatles, the stones. They look great and offer an entire cultural identity: yes great music but also a way to look, to dress, to act. Great music is great culture and culture is visual as well as audible. And again that isn't as two dimensional as 'good looking people'. Punk was a very visual movement, the look came before the sound in hierarchy (Vivienne Westwood designed the sex pistols look). It is a performance role and audiences want to buy into the whole package, the sound, the look. They go together. Inseparable.
winter1982.bandcamp.com