Songwriter Forum > The Writing Process

Writers block & inspiration

(1/4) > >>

tone:
I've been finding it hard to do any writing for a long time now, and it's something that has never come easily to me anyway.  The thing is, it's like a vicious circle - the less you write, the further away you seem to be from actually doing so.

What are your thoughts on writers block and gathering inspiration.  Is it really all down to confidence, or have the more practical aspects of my life (ie trying to make a living) really just taken over.

If I'm honest, a large part of the reason for starting this forum was to try and reconnect with writing and music.  What works for you, and what sort of size gaps do you have between spells of writing?  I think it's been 3 years since I last finished a song, although there is one that's complete with the exception of lyrics from about 18 months ago...

:-[

tone:
http://www.creativecreativity.com/2007/04/tom_waits_on_so.html

Miffer brought this to my attention tonight - some great thoughts on songwriting from Tom Waits.

--- Quote ---...everybody likes to be around someone who does something well and loves doing it, so songs would be no different, right? Like, 'Lets blow down and see that guy
--- End quote ---

Captain Andy:

--- Quote from: tone on July 27, 2009, 01:38:50 PM ---I've been finding it hard to do any writing for a long time now, and it's something that has never come easily to me anyway.  The thing is, it's like a vicious circle - the less you write, the further away you seem to be from actually doing so.

What are your thoughts on writers block and gathering inspiration.  Is it really all down to confidence, or have the more practical aspects of my life (ie trying to make a living) really just taken over.

If I'm honest, a large part of the reason for starting this forum was to try and reconnect with writing and music.  What works for you, and what sort of size gaps do you have between spells of writing?  I think it's been 3 years since I last finished a song, although there is one that's complete with the exception of lyrics from about 18 months ago...

:-[

--- End quote ---

If you can't think what to write, change your pen.

Obviously the word "pen" can be a metaphor for any number of things here.

tone:

--- Quote from: Andy_Sheldon on August 10, 2009, 11:58:07 AM ---If you can't think what to write, change your pen.

--- End quote ---
Excellent advice.  I often find simply getting up and walking around instead of sitting there staring at the notebook helps fresh ideas to start circulating. 

I find my block almost always happens when I'm working on lyrics.  Once a musical idea takes shape I find it flows quite naturally most of the time.

Anyone else share this experience?

espeach:
Ahhh writers block,... 

Best way to deal with it i think is to make it your friend.. lol... Instead of battling it just say "oh hi writers block.. whats that?  I should take a break? sure"

Sounds silly but it works.

Also your angle is important.  Ask yourself these questions.

Why do i want to write a song right now?
What emotions have i felt in the last (insert time frame here)
What events have occurred in my personal like in the last (insert time frame here)
What events have occured in my area/country/globally in the Last (insert time frame here)
What sort of things have happend to people close to me recently

Anyone who sits with a pad and pen and answers those questions honestly will find they have a long list of ideas with which to work with.

listening to music you don't ordinarily listen too is also a great help ...  for example i don't really like gangster rap, however occasionaly i'll hear a song and think hmmm i could write about that same topic in my own style...

anyhoo thats my take on the subject

have fun

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version