• 18 Replies

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« on: July 27, 2009, 01:38:50 PM »
I've been finding it hard to do any writing for a long time now, and it's something that has never come easily to me anyway.  The thing is, it's like a vicious circle - the less you write, the further away you seem to be from actually doing so.

What are your thoughts on writers block and gathering inspiration.  Is it really all down to confidence, or have the more practical aspects of my life (ie trying to make a living) really just taken over.

If I'm honest, a large part of the reason for starting this forum was to try and reconnect with writing and music.  What works for you, and what sort of size gaps do you have between spells of writing?  I think it's been 3 years since I last finished a song, although there is one that's complete with the exception of lyrics from about 18 months ago...

:-[
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 11:41:01 PM »
http://www.creativecreativity.com/2007/04/tom_waits_on_so.html

Miffer brought this to my attention tonight - some great thoughts on songwriting from Tom Waits.

...everybody likes to be around someone who does something well and loves doing it, so songs would be no different, right? Like, 'Lets blow down and see that guy

Captain Andy

• Busker
    • Captain Andy
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 11:58:07 AM »
I've been finding it hard to do any writing for a long time now, and it's something that has never come easily to me anyway.  The thing is, it's like a vicious circle - the less you write, the further away you seem to be from actually doing so.

What are your thoughts on writers block and gathering inspiration.  Is it really all down to confidence, or have the more practical aspects of my life (ie trying to make a living) really just taken over.

If I'm honest, a large part of the reason for starting this forum was to try and reconnect with writing and music.  What works for you, and what sort of size gaps do you have between spells of writing?  I think it's been 3 years since I last finished a song, although there is one that's complete with the exception of lyrics from about 18 months ago...

:-[

If you can't think what to write, change your pen.

Obviously the word "pen" can be a metaphor for any number of things here.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 07:18:40 PM »
If you can't think what to write, change your pen.
Excellent advice.  I often find simply getting up and walking around instead of sitting there staring at the notebook helps fresh ideas to start circulating. 

I find my block almost always happens when I'm working on lyrics.  Once a musical idea takes shape I find it flows quite naturally most of the time.

Anyone else share this experience?

espeach

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 04:03:44 PM »
Ahhh writers block,... 

Best way to deal with it i think is to make it your friend.. lol... Instead of battling it just say "oh hi writers block.. whats that?  I should take a break? sure"

Sounds silly but it works.

Also your angle is important.  Ask yourself these questions.

Why do i want to write a song right now?
What emotions have i felt in the last (insert time frame here)
What events have occurred in my personal like in the last (insert time frame here)
What events have occured in my area/country/globally in the Last (insert time frame here)
What sort of things have happend to people close to me recently

Anyone who sits with a pad and pen and answers those questions honestly will find they have a long list of ideas with which to work with.

listening to music you don't ordinarily listen too is also a great help ...  for example i don't really like gangster rap, however occasionaly i'll hear a song and think hmmm i could write about that same topic in my own style...

anyhoo thats my take on the subject

have fun
:D

Mr Catwalk

• Busker
    • Mr Catwalk Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:51:29 PM »
My problem is that when I think too much about writing songs, I get a huge block. I often get small snippets of an idea at random times.

My friend has a notebook he carries in his pocket that he uses to scribble down lyric ideas he thinks of. Then, he'll sit down and try and filter through his ideas to create a song.

I think it's a really cool idea!

kip4

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 09:29:09 PM »
i keep a new book every year for song writing ideas and inspiration
because lyrical ideas come at the strangest times
i write down ideas on bits of paper at work when the ideas come
in the middle of the night when i wake up dreaming i write it down on a blank sheet and hope i can read it in the morning
i stick these in the book
and save the back few pages for one liners i think will make good song titles etc
and keep revisiting my books when i need ideas to write songs
only proviso is i always write in the front of the book if your reading this uninvited then do not judge me until you are me
theres my song book thing in a nutshell
hope this helps

Nathan1709

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 04:37:23 PM »
I tend to write the first verse of my songs quite quickly and spontaneously but I then agonise for weeks over the remainder.  This isn't always the case but by and large it happens a lot.  I think that I am my own worst critic and this constant striving for perfection prevents me from finishing anything lately.  I think I am overly analytical, sometimes I will spend hours crafting one line!

I also get writer's block where I sit and stare at a blank page for ages.  I think for me, it doesn't work if I try and force it, I just need to be in the right frame of mind.   Typically by the nature of Sod's law this ahppens when I am at work or very late when I need to go to sleep.  Sometimes by happy coincidence it happens when its' convenient but not very often!

jimbles

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 10:39:55 PM »
I've never experienced writers block yet (Touch wood!) But I've had periods where I've just stopped writing. I find it easy to get back into as I always end up singing songs to myself and what not at work, playing sports or walking about. I find inspiration in things that have happened to me and have had an impact, or down memory lane I'll find something that's an experience for me to work on.

breeze

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 08:51:12 PM »
ok, without wanting to sound like a cliche here, you REALLY can't push the lyrics to come to you. I'm 14 and I've written about 15 songs, maybe 5 are good. I didn't sit down and think "right, lets make a song", I was hit by a single line of words which I used to make an entire song. It works. AND NEVER RIGHT THE MUSIC IF YOU'RE HAVING A BLOCK. That really doesn't help. Also, I try to write indie or acoustic songs, but don't let that limit you. All my songs come when I'm on a down as well, thought that might not be the kind of lyrics you're looking foor  :-\ .

gibsona07

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 11:38:44 PM »
When i'm writing something I like to have the Bible on one side of the paper and the Norton Poetry Anthologhy on the other. When I get stuck I just open either book up at a random page and read it till I get some inspiration.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 10:56:32 AM »
For me the writing of the lyrics is the hard part..you never know when something will come up (and English is not my native language as you can tell)
In a general sense my lyrics are quite poor (full of clichés), but when the words fit the melody and music well it eventually seems to work  for me, that is (occasionally)
Coming up with music and chords seems more easy...there may be people who have the reverse problem? I mean, are there people on this forum that have a stack of lyrics lying around that they are struggling to fit to music? 

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 06:59:56 PM »
I mean, are there people on this forum that have a stack of lyrics lying around that they are struggling to fit to music? 
There may well be, now or in the future. You could always post on the collaborations forum that you're looking?

gibsona07

• Open Mic
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 11:37:03 PM »
I mean, are there people on this forum that have a stack of lyrics lying around that they are struggling to fit to music? 

I don't know if my lyrics are exactly worthy of music but I must say I find the music the harder part. I have no musical education - i can only just about read music, let alone work out what IV-I-II chord progressions are - I just learnt guitar off Bob Dylan records and started writing 3 chord songs, which went well enough untill I got tired of 3 chords  :D

NataliesLyrics

• Busker
  • Just a dreamer
    • twitter @NataliesLyrics
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 10:57:45 PM »
I think i can't write a song anymore because reality has taken over. I finally stepped out of my bubble and realized that songwriting won't earn me money right now. My love of writing songs won't get me where i want to be. I guess i have lost confidence in myself too. idk
I love to write songs.