Old Lyric from 2011 - "Something Wicked This Way Comes"

• 32 Replies

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 10:20:46 PM »
Hi Verlon,

if you don't mind I'd like to put your words to music as well. Not sure when as I'm busy but the words definitely struck a chord with me.

diadem

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 04:53:44 AM »
Hi Verlon,

if you don't mind I'd like to put your words to music as well. Not sure when as I'm busy but the words definitely struck a chord with me.

diadem

Absolutely --  go ahead.  The more the merrier... and this could just get REALLY interesting.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 05:16:31 PM »
Boo Boo and Nellie.... thank you so much for the feedback.  It's good to hear from both of you btw... You guys must have been busy lately. 

AmirMaor

• Open Mic
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 05:39:37 PM »
lol, it is "harry botter" remider.

but excellent job... :)
My First English Song + Clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUmkbv-v-vI

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 11:44:31 PM »
lol, it is "harry botter" remider.

but excellent job... :)

What is funny about the Harry Potter reference is that I'm probably the only one who won't "get it." 

I'm sixty one years old, and haven't a CLUE about Harry Potter.  It's all over MY head. 

There was a book and a T.V. movie in the seventies or eighties with the title "Something Wicked This Way Comes."  That is where my frame of reference to the phrase comes from... although I believe that Shakespeare originated the phrase.  (or perhaps even Shakespeare just quoted it from an older source." 

The Other classical reference is the "the only ones who have seen the end of war are the dead." 

General Douglas McArthur used that line in a speech and attributed it to Pliny the Elder.  But it turned out there is no record of Pliny the Elder ever having said it. 

However, it was at least 100 years old by the time McArthur said it.  References that old contained the phrase unattributed, but context indicated it was being quoted.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 10:16:52 PM »
Hi Verlon,

I had some free time today and started mapping out the song structure and chord changes. I've hit a major problem with the middle section starting "We know There will be no end to war". I'm finding it difficult to find a chord sequence that scans properly with the words.

Before I start doing something really weird to fit the words into the song I wondered if I could rewrote them. If you like them and want them to stay, no problem, I'll just have to think of something else.

Thanks for listening,

diadem

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 05:30:11 PM »
Diademgrove:  No problem at all.  Feel free to do what it takes to make the lyric fit the music.  I have collaborated (sometimes successfully) with people who don't ask before doing that, and I deeply appreciate that you were respectful enough to ask. 

That you did respectfully ask makes me comfortable that you will treat my lyric with all the respect that you are able to while still finding a way to fit it to music. 

I'm entirely comfortable with you making this fit. 

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »
Thanks Verlon,

I was brought up properly. If my mam and dad were still around they'd appreciate your comments.

Football's getting in the way a bit but I may start putting down a guide track at the weekend.

Thanks for saying yes.

diadem

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 02:01:59 AM »
Thanks Verlon,

I was brought up properly. If my mam and dad were still around they'd appreciate your comments.

Football's getting in the way a bit but I may start putting down a guide track at the weekend.

Thanks for saying yes.

diadem

Which kind of "football?"  Spheroid ball, or round? 

And is a "guide track" just a track with a recurring beat on it?  I've not heard that term before.

little feet

• Busker
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 07:01:21 AM »
love these lyrics verlon.

they flow very easily and i think they'll work very well with music..

actually when i read them i'm reminded of a song called "why we build the wall" by anais mitchell.. the way she wrote that song and how it worked musically was evoked in my mind when reading though.

anyway good job, really looking forward to hearing what the diadem does with this.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 07:20:31 AM »
Thanks Verlon,

Thanks for saying yes.

diadem

Which kind of "football?"  Spheroid ball, or round? 

And is a "guide track" just a track with a recurring beat on it?  I've not heard that term before.

Soccer, and we lost.

A guide track will be me and an acoustic guitar to see if the structure works. It sounds ok at the minute but I really need to hear it a couple of days later to see if it's working. When I write my own stuff I mostly start with the music and then add the words.

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 07:04:18 PM »
What a great song, I can see why everyone wants to record it; fife & drums - love it.  In fact the language you have used throughout is really excellent and the way they flow is spot on.  Good work!
GTB
GTB

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 07:45:29 PM »
What a great song, I can see why everyone wants to record it; fife & drums - love it.  In fact the language you have used throughout is really excellent and the way they flow is spot on.  Good work!
GTB

Thank you.  What's been fascinating to me is how little understanding I have of how my own songs will be perceived by others. 

I have been surprised by some songs that were NOT well received.... and I'm actually shocked by how well this one HAS been received.  It's why criticism is soooooooo important.

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 08:22:07 PM »

Thank you.  What's been fascinating to me is how little understanding I have of how my own songs will be perceived by others. 

I have been surprised by some songs that were NOT well received.... and I'm actually shocked by how well this one HAS been received.  It's why criticism is soooooooo important.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more.  How many times have we heard artists say they had to be convinced that something would be their mega-hit song, then history gets made!
GTB
GTB

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 08:51:28 PM »

I couldn't agree more.  How many times have we heard artists say they had to be convinced that something would be their mega-hit song, then history gets made!
GTB
[/quote]

So, so true.  And equally important is that if we have a "dog that won't hunt" we are aware of it's deficiencies and don't take it hunting. 

It's absolutely vital to concentrate energy and time on the songs that DO reach people instead of wasting time on songs that do not.