konalavadome

Als de muziek voorbij is / When the music's over

• 2 Replies

Jeremy

• Busker
« on: January 03, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »
Hello everybody, and a happy and creative new year to all!

For this song I was inspired by a person who fought cancer for a very long time, but always stayed positive. Love for his family is what kept him going for so long. He also loved music, which brought me to using music as metaphor for life. A very serious and dramatic content, yet, not meant to be depressing but actually cheerful.

It is in Dutch again, but this time I will post the English translation next to it. It may look a bit strange for native English speakers, but some expressions don't let themselves be translated that easily. I'm sure the message is still in though.

We are currently working on a more proper recording based on this first rough overhead recording. So I placed it in 'work in progress'. I would really appreciate your comments to make this as good as possible.

Link: https://soundcloud.com/#jeremy_nl/als-de-muziek-voorbij-is

Als de muziek voorbij is                                    When the music's over

Als de muziek voorbij is                                    When the music's over
Hou je mijn hand vast                                      Would you hold my hand
Blijf je bij me tot het einde                               Would you stay with me until the end
als de laatste noot weerklinkt                            When the last note fades away
Als een symfonie gaat de film                            Like a symphony, the movie
aan me voorbij                                                 runs by
Geen angst, ik lach de duivel uit                        No fear, I laugh at the devil
Maar blijf je tot het eind bij mij                          But will you stay with me till the end

Schenk de glazen nog eens vol                          Refill the glasses
En vergeet de tijd                                             and forget time
Voel de lach zoals die altijd was                         Feel the smile like it always used to be
Voor mij geen schijnheiligheid                            For me, no hypocricy
Laat de muziek klinken zo intens                        Let the music sound, intense
Denk niet na, geniet                                          Don't think, relish
En dans met mij voor de laatste keer                  and take this last dance with me
en vergeet je verdriet                                        and forget about your grief

chorus:
Als de muziek voorbij is                                     When the music's over
Sleep je mij er dan doorheen                              Will you drag me through
Spelen we samen het einde                                Will we play together until the end
Als de muziek voorbij is                                      When the music's over
Van het lied dat ons bezingt                                Of the song sung about us
Blijf je dan bij me tot de laatste noot weerklinkt   Will you stay with me until the last note fades

Alle woorden en akkoorden                                 All words and chords
Er is niet één meer die me spijt                           None of them make me regret
Alleen maar ongeschreven paginas                      Only unwritten pages
die ik mezelf nog wel verwijt                               for which I sometimes blame myself
Geef me de allermooiste klanken                         Give me the most beatiful tones
Die ik nog nooit heb gehoord                              That I never heared
Ik hang voor altijd aan je lippen                          I'll hang on your lips forever
En hoor je woord voor woord voor woord             and hear you word for word for word

Geef me nog één couplet, nog één refrein            Give me one more verse, one more chorus
nog één couplet, nog één refrein                         one more word one more chorus...
en harder, harder, harder, harder                        louder and louder and louder...

repeat chorus

geen idee waar ik naartoe ga                             No idea where I'll be going
als het ritme niet meer klopt                              when the rythm has stopped beating
Wat ik het meest vrees is de stilte                      What I fear the most is the silence
Als de muziek is gestopt                                    When the music has stopped

OK, hope you enjoy this. We will get to work with your comments, and I'll post the finished song later.
Cheers,
Jeremy

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 08:04:33 PM »
i liked this a lot more than your last one jeremy & i thought the lyrics were realy good... despite the doors taking that title forever!...for me anyway
i still think your bands sound is a bit hollow ...i thought the guitar part was great (were there 2 guitars at one point?) but i kept thinking i wonder what this would sound like faster or with a overdriven guitar sound or with a sax to lend some extra colour & interest
as i said i liked the song so i dont think its that its just the bands sound is not as full & interetsing as it could be......have you tried it faster?
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Jeremy

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 08:58:22 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and compliments Tina,
To be honest, I didn't even realise I used the Doors title until I translated it to English.
The hollow sound in this track is probably the fact it was recorded with one overhead mic., as opposed to the other one, where we were really just trying to figure out Cubase.
We don't have a sax player, but I love the idea of a more overdriven guitar. And, yes, there are two guitars here. So, I think we'll try to boost the lead riff up with overdrive and record the rythm guitar as accoustic. That may do the trick.
We'll try playing faster, but as the lead riff is quite fast as it is, I'm not sure if that will bring the desired effect or just make it sound messy.
Cheers,
Jeremy