konalavadome

Blessings and blues

• 34 Replies

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 02:53:06 PM »
Thanks Tinam. Recorded in quite a big room with high ceilings. I have done demos with vocal close mic'd and guitar both di and another mic. But that takes longer to set up. So I was trying to get far mic'd sound of the room. Try grey day on soundcloud to hear same room with the better set up.

But for ultra simple plug in IPad I liked this better than putting it closer.

Map is 1967 Philips' map if Lancashrie and Yorkshire. Classic. If you like that sort of thing. :)

Adam

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 05:10:38 PM »
Hi Adam,

Lovely guitar. I got a slight sitar vibe to it in places - liked it. The vocal did sound a little distant, but it sounded good to me.

Nice one.

Digger

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 10:32:19 AM »
Thanks Digger. Starting some less casual recording next week, though not this song.

Adam

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 04:09:32 PM »
Great playing and you have a good voice although there are some tuning issues with your singing. Melodically, I think it's a little "safe" and you could maybe take it somewhere else at times as it does get a little repetitive. What you have written is lovely though.

There is too much "room" in the recording for my taste. It's a quiet, intimate sing and you need to be up close to the mic for that to work to best effect.

It's clear people are ignoring the WIP section and just putting their recordings on the finished songs section even though they are not....finished. I can understand why, hardly anybody reviews the WIP section so I don't blame you.

A thumbs up from the South Devon jury...

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 07:58:07 PM »
Thanks for the comments Montydog. Recording was an experiment and not really ideal.

You're right also that it's safe and simple musically and that's pretty much what I was aiming at. Hopefully more hypnotic and immediate, rather than dull. But I take the point. Since playing more to audiences I've been trying to be more direct and immediate. Not all the time. But for some things.

I have to confess I'd not taken I the work in progress section. I have posted some lyrics in their own, but I'm not sure I would post a song I didn't think was basically finished. Or are you referring to the recording, which is clearly just a quick demo?

Thanks for taking the time. Best wishes

Adam

AlexMo

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 04:27:04 AM »
With capo on 2nd isn't that just drop D?

I really like this. Really nice intricate guitar work and the lyrics are great. I'd love to hear this recorded properly.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 09:33:35 AM »
Second listen:  What stands out on second listen is how incredibly perfect the chorus is.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 06:05:53 PM »
Thanks a lot, both. Alex Mo. The tuning is F on 3rd string and C on second. So the bottom four are like DADGAD (one tone down) but the top too are only a tone apart. Have a listen to Vagrant stanzas. Simpson uses it a lot. It's fun.

Am planning some proper recording soon and though this is not on the track list I might try to sneak it in. I'm still at the stage of enjoying this one. Then I'll start feeling it was a bit weak (too simple, too derivative). Then I hope I'll write something else!

Cheers, Adam

garys2811

• Open Mic
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 08:11:27 PM »
Nice song good picking. I thought the guitar had a touch of Nic Jones but I see that you've referred to Martin Simpson which is what I must have been getting. It's a sweet melody and I think you demonstrate a good range with it. Lyrically I wasn't so sure if you were in a bus or sitting by the fire playing your guitar however I got the gist and liked it.
Garys2811

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 10:22:28 PM »
Thanks Gary. I love Nic Jones, of course! :) The lyric is pretty literal. I often start a song while driving/walking/travelling, but then I go home and finish it. So the verses move across those places and relationships.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 04:07:25 PM »
Totally something I would happily go out of my way to see live! Do you gig in London/SE England?

Great guitar playing and vocals. The kind of track I would be proud to have written.

Recording is full on ambient, but the clarity is there at least :)

Great tone on the high notes, very good control!!

LIke it :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

deegeorge

• Open Mic
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 05:48:51 PM »
Simplistic ,doesn't need any fancy production.I like the ambience in the vocals ,if a song stripped down doesn't bore the pants of you after two minutes it is a sign of a good song.This ticks all the boxes for me.dg

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 11:55:48 PM »
James and jg. Thanks, both. Really pleased to have your comments. Recording took 15 mins, but it's a good likeness of me live. Song took 40 years but it's one that seems to work immediately and directly.

No plans to tour beyond NE but maybe anon!

Cheers and thanks, Adam

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 07:58:59 PM »
Simply beautiful

Spookily I have a song sitting in my "vault" with a VERY similar guitar lick that you use for the intro and refrains

I really like the break of voice into the smooth falsetto - gorgeous, I would even have liked a little more of this (the first one was awesome)

I agree with JN - this is the kind of song that could bring a pub to standstill

Some bits of the melody were a little familiar - but in no way a copy

It is interesting you mention that this song was 40 years in the writing - this doesn't surprise me as everything (lyric, chord, and melody) just fit together perfectly

Great stuff
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 11:25:42 PM »
Thanks Boydie. Haven't played it to a pub full yet, but it went down well a t a sign around recently. The recording is in D (capo on 2nd) but depending on time if day etc it sounds good in C. Either way it's pretty much on the limit if by lower and upper range.