konalavadome

Great Human Being

• 11 Replies

Homeless Recluse

• Open Mic
« on: December 20, 2013, 01:07:41 PM »
This IS finished but it's not cause I would LOVE to get into a pro studio and record it with real instruments and drums. ;D
I think it's my most solid, 'complete' instrumental.
I'm quite proud of it tbh, not cause I think it's great sounding but because all I used was a guitar and a br8. Mixing was a real nightmare cause not only did I have voices popping up all over, some needed eq'ing differently to the others on the same track on mixdown. On top of that the solo right at the end was recorded straight to minidisc as I was mixing it down. One of the voices is an ex girlfriend about 2minutes in, the picture on the screen even looks like her wearing a straight jacket! haha! Serendipity played a part in my finding that pic! ;D

I get mixed responses from people who I've shown it to, it seems to be a bit of a marmite track, It is a bit heavy in mood (mirroring my state of mind at the time) but I think it really ends positively!

Feedback and thoughts appreciated.

Stylus

• Stadium Tour
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DJRAJBAROT
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 06:32:09 PM »
Bladdeee  ell! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  I first thought it was an  Ad  & waited to press the bladdee  Skip  button.  ;D ;D ;D

Definately Marmite.....This is like marmite with Ice-cream ! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ( wait! i'll continue in a minute ) let me pull myself together. 
          Seriously......Theres some good bits I.e  the built up guitar bits & also guitars during the intro &
throughout. The vocal speechy thingz seemed irrelevant to me &  I thought I was having a nightmare.
 Great Video.
        Positively Guitars are, as always sublime.  & the concept was ace!  kind of something from a men in black type of flick....aliens &  spaceship that lands in Dogmaxs garden while he has a guinness.

I like it ( but wat kind of bladdee  mood were yew in? ehhhh?  ;D ;D ;D Stylus :)

Homeless Recluse

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 06:45:13 PM »
;D Mood? A really, really good one!

onemanband

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 06:48:44 PM »
Hey homeless,

I enjoyed that, I agree I think it would be perfect for a film score, it is incredibly atmospheric.
Felt almost visceral, and at times schizophrenic. I feel slightly less stable after listening to it.

Good work.

Stylus

• Stadium Tour
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DJRAJBAROT
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 06:51:15 PM »
Yer a legend!

Its   mentally & insanely  good  in fact itz better than good  Itz  gooooood!  

Yu crack mi up  ........ or crack'd mi up  He,he,he    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oneman band  See?   See?  Itz not only me  Hes driven me  & You knutz!    ;D ;D ;D

Homeless Recluse

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 06:59:29 PM »
Hey homeless,

I enjoyed that, I agree I think it would be perfect for a film score, it is incredibly atmospheric.
Felt almost visceral, and at times schizophrenic. I feel slightly less stable after listening to it.

Good work.

Haha sorry about that! Welcome to the inside of my head ;D It does end positively though!

Glad you liked it :)

Homeless Recluse

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 07:02:53 PM »
Yer a legend!

Its   mentally & insanely  good  in fact itz better than good  Itz  gooooood!  

Yu crack mi up  ........ or crack'd mi up  He,he,he    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oneman band  See?   See?  Itz not only me  Hes driven me  & You knutz!    ;D ;D ;D

I'm a leg end? Are you calling me a foot? ;D ;D

Cheers stylus... Just have another cuppa and you'll be fine. Trust me I'm a Docker  ;D

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 09:51:02 PM »
This is a truly beautiful instrumental.  The video (even though it's only pictures) was more distraction than aid to me.  I just shut my eyes so I could concentrate on the music.  After I'm familiar, the video would not detract or distract. 

I think all too often people allow the mania for visuals to submerge their music.  This music was worth keeping afloat and shutting out the distractions.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

nrand

• Busker
    • AllSingTogether
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 12:58:44 AM »
I really like the whole concept - to me the video is confronting at times and that is OK because the music fits.  You seem to have found your place with the multimedia thing.  I love Pink Floyd and this is kind of in their genre only different. More of these please.
Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 01:00:37 AM by nrand »

Homeless Recluse

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 10:38:06 AM »
Cheers hardtwistmusic and nrand!

The vid is mainly so you can read the words cause the main criticism from people I've shown it to is that they can't really be heard, so I thought I'd stick them in a vid. I'm really glad you like the track though as It's really quite a personal one for me.
Cheers :)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 08:19:05 PM »
Ive got  to stop saying pink floyd when I review your songs!
love the voice snippets ..where did you get those voices from? & how did you get the main one to fit the tempo so well? Is it you?
Love the lead guitar ... you always get a fabulous solo in ...ive got to stop saying dave you know who when I talk about your solos!
the bass  had some great moments & held it all together in a roger w...whoops  just stopped that one!
ive nothing to say about the drums so I dont need to mention  nic...see i am getting better at this!
sorry pete im being silly ...it was flipping brilliant ...more freud than floyd & more shrink than pink
I like to hear things that try to be different to a normal song & are packed full of diffrent ideas instead …. its hard to do...it realy takes much more clever thought than just writing a song & singing it does

Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Homeless Recluse

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 10:15:23 AM »
Eh, no need to apologise Tina, you've took the time to listen and comment! And your reviews always make me laugh AND you've given me a great name for a band 'Shrink Freud'! ;D

I must say though that I really don't think my solo's sound like Dave Gilmour's!! but I don't mind people saying it ! haha!
The voices are from quite a few places; Loads of voices from 'Holy Man' with Eddie Murphy, 'Bicentennial man' with Robin Williams. And the main voice is a guy called Dr Norman Vincent Peal; One of the very first 'self help' gurus that started in the 30's along with Napoleon Hill. (I became a bit of a self help audiobook collector!)  
Even though I'm not religious (Peal was very) his audio program that I used had/has some great stuff on there that really resonated with me.
I think I was just lucky with the pacing, but I did write the music around most of the voices instead of putting the voices on the music (so to speak) and I had no idea where it was going.
Glad you like it Tina and thanks for the band name! ;D ;D ;D

Ps I think I was more influenced by a band called Copernicus and the album called 'Deeper' If you like different it doesn't get any more different than that! He is a Nihilist though but from a creative point of view it's quite good.

https://moonjunerecords.bandcamp.com/track/they-own-everything-2
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:39:43 AM by Homeless Recluse »