konalavadome

PRS and self-publishing

• 14 Replies

massa

« on: February 27, 2011, 09:38:58 AM »
Hi there, I joined this forum 'cause I've been searching the net for ages looking for an answer and cannot find one. This is my first post.

I'm want to join PRS but they have two membership options. Join as a writer or join as a publisher. At the moment I'm not published, and I am seriously considering going down the self-published route. Do I need to therefore create my own publishing company for my songs and register it. Then join PRS as a publisher with my entire back-catalogue. Or do I just join as a writer?

Hopefully someone can help me, surely someone else has been in this position.

Thanks.

Massa

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 09:44:32 PM »

I don't get the whole PRS thing at all. And it's something that I want to get to know as I do plan on becoming professional one day. Any tips most welcome.

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 06:53:43 PM »
My understanding is that if you regsiter with PRS as a songwriter you'll get 100% of anything due to you. If you regsiter your own publishing company you'll get 100% of the money, but if you register as writer and publisher you'll simply be splitting the money 50-50 with yourself!

I think the publisher account is for those companies that represent more than one artist. They'll collect royalties on their artists' behalf. Unless you get a publishing deal with one of these companies you only need to register as a writer. Set up your own publishing company when things start to get big, because the company will pay corporation tax, whereas you as an individual will pay income tax which is higher.

Also PRS don't let you register until your music is broadcast/performed/recorded or any of those conditions are imminent. But I might be wrong on that one.

massa

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 07:38:39 AM »
Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah that's correct about them not letting your join till your music is broadcast or performed. I will just join as a writer, and as your say if things get big then think about a publishing company. Good advice.

Ideally I'd like a publishing company in the future and I guess I can just transfer the publishing share of my music to my company in time, and not now, so all my music's under the one umbrella.

Cheers.

Paul Baxter

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:20:41 PM »
Hey

Music publishers are companies which license music use and register works obo their writers (e.g. EMI, Kobalt etc).
If you joined as a writer then you could register your own works as 100% for yourself, if you were to be signed by a music publisher then they would do all the PRS shenanigans for you and would take a % directly. There's no need for you to join as a publisher unless you establish yourself as a company and sign other writers to represent.

In joining you could send a screenshot of your Myspace or Youtube page etc, anything where your music is being broadcast or played (even a set list of a live gig). You might not accrue a lot of royalties but you would gain membership. Then you need to register your works straight away, even if they're still being written in prep for any usage, not just as they're active.

You can also fill in details of live gigs on the website. As part of the PRS scheme (gigs and clubs), you can accrue royalties even for playing a small pub, as well as actual music venues.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Paul (PRSfM - if you hadn't guessed  ;)  )
Tracy Jordan: How could five of the world's most popular musical styles played at the same time sound so bad?

massa

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 09:58:27 PM »
Thanks very much Paul B - I really appreciate it!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 11:38:39 PM »
Hi Paul

Thanks for jumping in and giving us all the facts. Much appreciated. Hope to see you on the boards again :)

Tone.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Paul Baxter

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 09:53:20 AM »
No problem at all. Anything to take my mind off finishing the last episode of 6 Feet Under!

:'(
Tracy Jordan: How could five of the world's most popular musical styles played at the same time sound so bad?

massa

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 10:05:29 AM »
Haha, you're just going to find another box set to get hooked into!
 ;)

Paul Baxter

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 11:59:07 PM »
Well I've done Dexter, The Wire, Sopranos, Entourage (minus last 6 episodes this year) and waiting weekly for 30 Rock and Boardwalk Empire so I'm running short

Anyway, I'm deviating from the topic so will spare you further details of my sad life  8) hehe

mgalaxy

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 03:08:30 AM »
PRO = Performance Rights Organization. PRO handles your publishing and writers share of royalties. The Master or Mechanical side of your composition will be handled by your label, or In most cases, agency's like Harry Fox, or in the UK the Mechanical-Copyright Protection Society, MCPS (now in alliance with PRS), acts to collect (and distribute) royalties to composers, songwriters and publishers for CDs  etc...all of whom distribute blanket license agreements to end users.

PRO is usually a not for profit government controlled org. ie PRS (UK), BMI (US) and ASCAP (US), but some like SESAC (US) are independently operated. PRS= Performance Rights Society. PRS is the leading UK PRO. Nearly every country has their own PRO royalty enforcement agency to ensure its musical citizens are paid for their works. Your PRO will work with other PRO's in other countries to ensure you are paid appropriately for any synchronization licensing that has occurred over seas. For example, if your music was licensed in a US TV show, PRS will work with ASCAP to make sure you are paid for US public performance (TV airings and repeats, radio etc). If you hear it, but can't take it with you, that is public performance.

In most cases when you license a song for a placement in a film or TV show, they will require the Sync use agreement and Master use agreement. The Syncronization agreement is for your publishing and public performance rights. The Master use agreement is for the mechanical physical rights for use if the production goes to DVD or they choose to make a CD soundtrack etc. The Sync and Master rights use is usually split 50/50. 50% to the publisher (You if not signed) and 50% to the record label (you if not signed).

When registering with a PRO, you should register as writer and publisher if you control your own publishing. You will still receive 100% of all sync public performance royalties, but establishing your own publishing co will enable you to easily add songs with other writers involvement, and even retain a piece of publishing should you enter a publishing agreement with another publishing company in the future. You can sign other artists to your publishing if you are active in licensing and have relationships with your PRO or music supervisors.

If you are located in the UK and secure a placement in a TV show, you will likely require PRS to collect your publishing and MCPS to collect your mechanical royalties on your behalf.

Since I am in the US and more familiar with BMI and ASCAP and not familiar with PRS in the UK, you should do more research on their requirements for registration and reporting.

Hope that helps.
Mike Galaxy
www.BandPromote.com

massa

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 09:36:49 AM »
Thanks Mike  :)

massa

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 09:52:25 PM »
Sorry, but I'm still confused over this. I'm stupid.

If I post my music on youtube and itunes, should I thus join PRS and MCPS as a writer?

Or should I just join PRS.

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 03:45:38 PM »
PRS and MCPS have joined together: PRS for Music is the new name. When you join PRS for Music you are covered for both performing and mechanical rights.

http://www.prsformusic.com/creators/wanttojoin/Pages/NewMemberFAQs.aspx

If your music is on Youtube it's preferable to register. If you sell your music through ITunes it's probably obligatory (the companies that place your music on iTunes will probably insist on it beforehand.)

Chris

ps Have you decided how you'll get your music onto iTunes? Some methods are more expensive than others.

massa

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 04:26:33 PM »
That's not right, you have to join MCPS and PRS separately.