Harbour

• 12 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: December 02, 2013, 01:41:18 AM »
This is a song I wrote a few weeks ago when I was feeling very low about various things. It's about someone who is vulnerable and searching for something or someone that he can't live without. It's just my vocal and a very hard strummed acoustic. I would really appreciate any ideas you guys and girls might have as to what can be improved and what would be an appropriate musical setting for the song. I have been tempted to just leave it as it is but I think it could be a bit bare.

Thanks as ever for listening

M

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/harbour-acoustic-demo

I feel like a faded flag
In a cold, cold wind
Blowing on a silent sea
I need a new friend

I stole this dirty rag
To shine my white skin
A carpet bag for to carry
All my dreams in

I'm wondering where you are now
And its thundering off the port bow

I can't rest till I find her
I can't sail any farther
I need safe harbour
Through the long nights of winter
Arctic storm on my shoulder
I need safe harbour

My footsteps don't carry me
The way they used to
Yesterday was an empty space
Echoes and aches for you

My doubts will bury me
So deep I'm drowning
I thought I saw a trace
Of you slowly turning

I can't sail any farther
I need safe harbour
I need safe harbour

I can't see your face
Not even in my dreams
It's a ghost that I've chased
All along the gulf stream

On the shores of Maine
The pines still whisper
For she returned again
And you've just missed her

I can't sail any farther
I need safe harbour
 I need safe harbour

tokenangmoh

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 02:59:40 AM »
Hello.

I love the sense of yearning in this song – it's embedded deep. I do hope you're feeling better now!

Your melody operates so that the first two lines of a verse are the call and the last two the response. This means it works when you have one idea for each half, or one idea developed through all four lines. But I'm not sure it works when you have one idea for the first three and another for the fourth, as in:

I feel like a faded flag
In a cold, cold wind
Blowing on a silent sea
I need a new friend

The melody makes me connect the last two lines as one idea, which of course doesn't make sense. This may be fixable just with phrasing, though...

I don’t think the "skin / in" rhyme works. Partly because the word white is pretty much redundant, so its inclusion almost makes it sound like you're bragging about being white! And also because you're reversing the natural stress of "white skin" to match that of "dreams in", which is slightly awkward.

I love the chorus, and the subtle way you progress from alliteration to half-rhyme, to merely second-syllable feminine rhyme supported by rhythm. The melody and lyrics work beautifully here. And I love how the guitar drops out before "safe harbour".

But what I'm not mad about is the immediate repetition of the chorus – even though it's a nice melody, it feels like a finished melody, with no need to repeat it. Maybe you could try putting the "wondering / thundering" couplet between the two halves. I know you've used it to introduce the chorus, but I think the chorus is strong enough to be self-introducing; it only needs some help the second time. (Having said this, the issue went away for me after the third listen.)

By the way, I love the internal rhyme on that "wondering" couplet.

In the Maine verse, it’s not immediately clear that the pines are speaking directly, so when the word "you" arrives, I was momentarily taken out of the song. I think it might be clearer if you use reported speech:

On the shores of Maine
The pines still whisper
That she returned again
And I just missed her

Regarding instrumentation, I wouldn't mind some accordion in there for a sea-shanty sound... (This may be an insane suggestion.)

I think my favourite part is the way you build so powerfully into "I need safe harbour" using only two lines. That's strong writing.

Matt
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 09:45:41 AM by tokenangmoh »

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 06:56:11 AM »
Very nice lyric and a really good accompaniment to help us to FEEL the lyric.  I've got no sense of how to improve it, but will listen again tomorrow.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Homeless Recluse

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 10:12:38 AM »
A good chorus and lovely melody.

Not sure about the white skin line though.

The other line which I'm not sure about is 'I need safe harbour'
I can hear 'she gives me safe harbour'
Musically, I'd try some picking on the verses to give the words more emphasis and give it a softer sound compared to the strummed chorus.

Just suggestions and I'm not comfortable doing so on other peoples material really particularly when the quality of writing is so good so feel free to ignore! :)

Cheers
Another gud'n

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »
Good song Alan, very nicely sung. I'm feeling the tempo is a bit too 'upbeat' for the lyric. I think it could be a bit slower, you could add some bass and a bass drum, to kick it along. I would also be tempted to bring some nice slow stereo strings in to 'beef it up' a bit and build the emption. Good writing though!
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie.

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 06:08:43 PM »
I really enjoyed listening to this - it is a very good song. Great story telling - with feeling. Perhaps just a little long for my taste and I wonder if it would benefit from just a little more variation in the delivery - reach up an octave here and there just to add an extra dynamic to the whole thing. But picky points on my part - over all really good stuff - I look forward to hearing the finished thing. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:32:18 PM »
Excellent song.  I caught myself singing along.  I really like both the message and the feel of this song.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 03:28:32 PM »

well this has a lovely feel to it
 the pic sets the scene for me I love it
 and as usual the vocals are superb

really like the melody and the lyrics
 nice fit
 clever writing and good imagery

well done on this mate

tony.

Winter1982

• Open Mic
    • Winter1982
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 09:44:47 PM »
Hey

I quite enjoyed this. I like the imagery although I thought sometimes it was too obvious or forced. The rhyming of bag, flag, rag seems too convenient, for instance , and maybe a bit of poetic licence might have stopped that becoming slightly cliched. As I said though, I like the visual imagery it provokes. It's such a dark picture you paint, it made want to hear those deep strings on the guitar rather than your emphasis on the higher strings when playing. I wanted the thud and rumble of the low E, or even messing around with a drop D tuning or something to give it real depth. Enjoyed it though, nicely written.
winter1982.bandcamp.com

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 07:38:11 PM »
nice to hear you strumming the acoustic , you usually peforming magic with your fingerpicking! great storytelling lyrics as always, wish i could write as many and as good lyrics for the songs i got.. one thing this forum does do is inspire!!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 02:52:29 PM »
Alan, great track - I'm sure I've heard it before - with nice melodic variation between the verses and chorus to complement the words. Liked the strummed guitar too. Personally I'd shorten it abit but If i were you I'd leave just as it is.
 :) :)
Neil 
songwriter of no repute..

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 11:23:05 PM »
Alan, great track - I'm sure I've heard it before

Hi,
Probably because I played it for you when you visited last year..... :)

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 02:27:42 PM »
Hi. I like this. Really well sung. I like the key line a lot, and then pause it brings to the music. I need to listen a few times to absorb it and comment more, but my intial thoughts are

1 does it need the chords inbetween verses. It might sound more urgent if it went straight on.
2 do you need the second half of the chorus? It's a good lyric, but the repetition (of the music) maybe interrupts the flow back to the excellent mood of the verse.
3 you've sought to keep the verse lyrics short and thight, I think. And it's a good idea. But the emphaiss doesn't always fall where I thought it should. You deliver the unevenness rally well and part of the song, but I would have altered some of it in the lyric.

Good song!

Thanks