Demo- The end, a beginning

• 8 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« on: November 28, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »

https://soundcloud.com/jamie1802/the-end-a-beginning

Hello all,
             This is a song I wrote earlier this year (before I'd begun to think of song writing as a more concise art :P) so it is longer than ideally it should be at 7 minutes, but the last 2mins or so is a guitar solo outro, so if it was worth going back to I could cut the song down significantly. I like the main acoustic guitar chord structures so think it could be worth resurrecting, but wonder what others think :o :P.

The song is about not knowing you were looking for something until you'd found it!

The end, a beginning

And I've waited all my life for this, to stand high upon the mountain
And survey the landscape, the air, fresh with promise
I lost my way, I didn't know the answer
In my heart I knew the journey must begin

To a place where the sun could shine and I've waited for this time to come
There's a presence here guiding me to place I can be home again

When the morning comes I will be with you
When the sun shines I will hear you voice again

And the warmth of the sun disperses the clouds
and the wind blows away the rain I feel my spirits rising with the sun
Finding a place where I don't need to run
I think about all the places I've been and all the things I've done

A time for dreams to carry us to a place we can share the fire and the freedom
to bring joy to you and to me

When the morning comes I will be with you again
when the sun shines I will hear you voice again

drmo

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 10:10:42 AM »
Hi,
I'm new to this forum but I'll try my best.
First of all I liked the song, had kind of a Pink Floyd thing about it. I don't normally like so much of an echo on vocals but it does suit the style of song. I think I would say the same for the length of it as well. I know you said that 7 minutes was longer than you would want it to be but it does work with this song, you wouldn't really want to make a tune like this into a 3 minute pop song, that's just my opinion though.

I liked the chord progressions throughout but particularly like the chorus (the 'when the morning comes' bit) and thought that maybe you could do that one or two more times, just to make it stand out a bit more.

Finally, I know it's a work in progress but I think maybe just fade it out towards the end of the guitar outro, the drums just seemed to stop a bit abruptly at the end.

I really liked it though, you should definitely work with it!

Cheers,
Dan

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 03:10:14 PM »
Yeah i like this...it`s quite clearly influenced by Dark side of the moon in places.........but i love Floyd so i like this,,, ;)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »
Hi guys,
             Thanks for the feedback, as always it's appreciated ;D.
Glad you liked it, and I knew I'd get the Pink Floyd comparison, I pretty well always do :o 8) ::) ;). So there must be something to it! I was actually trying for another prog rock sound :o. The vocal effect was an accident, but I quite liked it so I left it, I know vocal effects are very 'marmite'. I like the chord progressions too!
             The song was a demo, so not too concerned about some of the wrinkles eg the ending ::), glad you both liked it.
Cheers
Jamie ;D ;D

Homeless Recluse

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 09:08:58 PM »
Yeah, like a lot!

Could easily be a Yes song. Deffo work on this Jamie. Love the chorus, 'when the morning comes'

Great stuff

jmacdon

• Solo Gig
  • Give me a lyric and I'll give you a song
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 10:20:37 PM »
Could easily be a Yes song.

Bang on!  I was about to say it's very 1970's Jon Anderson.    Very nice song, very dreamy, very surreal.  This is album material, and I can't wait for the release date !

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 03:03:21 AM »
Hi homeless recluse, and J Mac,
                                              You got it, I was thinking Yes, when I was recording it so it's great for me as a 'prog'  rocker to hear you think it too! Just need to turn it fro 'demo' into a proper song! with a reasonable end!
Glad liked it!
Cheers
Jamie 

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 03:55:36 PM »
This is a WIP? Bloody hell, I can't wait to hear it finished.  :)

I love that vocal effect and the bass is beautifully realised. Super production throughout, particularly the drum sound you've got.

The lyrics are a little bit too prog rock whimsical for my taste but that's just me. I'd maybe have the vocals more prominent but that's a hard one to call.

Something wonderful happened at 4:35. The whole thing took off and soared. I want that earlier and more often and then your break at 5:30 was gorgeous. There is an awful lot here to like and I'm very impressed with this - it's pretty well pro quality.

Excellent Jamie.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 07:29:23 PM »
Hi Alan,
            I'm blown away by your comments, thank you! Glad you liked it. My wife always tells me that my lyrics are too depressing/ dramatic, so this was an attempt to have something a bit more upbeat, so not my normal mode of writing. This was a very early production of mine, so I'm pleased it sounds good to you, I must be doing something right! I was not trying to write a Yes/Jon Anderson song, but was trying to get that ethereal sound they get on some of their acoustic driven songs, so I'm pretty happy with it.
Thanks again Alan, It's appreciated ;D
Cheers
Jamie