Hello, another newbie.

• 9 Replies

Mr Strawberry

• Busker
« on: October 20, 2013, 09:32:05 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm Pete, a bloke in his 40s from Oxfordshire, England. As a teenager I used to write songs with a friend of mine, just with acoustic guitars, as I'm sure many of you did, or do, but then life got busier and the songwriting hobby/obsession took a backseat for the next decade or two and only now am I getting back into it again.

So I'm delighted to find this forum which seems to have a very encouraging mix of experts and amateurs. I count myself very much at the most amateur end of the spectrum, right at its very tip in fact, but I'm hoping to improve, and that hanging out on this forum helps steer me in the right direction rather than disappearing up my own rectum, which I'm quite liable to do if left to my own devices.

I'm currently wrestling with the wonders of digital recording, which is a giant leap from the Fostex 4-track I played about with as a teenager, and I'm finding it a bit overwhelming at the moment to be honest, but when I start to get the hang of it I shall inflict the results on you all without mercy. So be kind when i do. I've been listening to some of the tracks on the Feedback From Finished Songs Forum here, and my efforts won't be anything like as good, but I won't let that stop me. You have been warned.

OK, music I like and the type of song I'm most inclined towards writing. Well, I like all the usual suspects, The Beatles (goes without saying really), Pink Floyd, U2, Kate Bush, early Oasis, Bits of Led Zep, Guns n' Roses, the Cure, Prince, Stone Roses, Coldplay, Radiohead (actually what on earth happened to Radiohead's songwriting?) and a load of others. Basically, if they're on the cover of Mojo magazine I'll like them. In fact, just this week I've discovered Jonathan Wilson. His new album 'Fanfare" is great. I recommend it. But the type of songs I'd like to write could broadly be described as psychedelic pop. With big melodies. And trippy middle eights. And euphoric climaxes. Unfortunately, I've found that's easier said than done. But it's good to aim high I feel.

Anyway, am looking forward to making lots of new acquaintances here.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:36:09 PM by Mr Strawberry »

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 06:32:56 AM »
A warm welcome to you. You will find this a friendly place with some very talented folks on here. Generally the more you put into the forum the more you will get back.

Hope your stay is long and enjoyable.

Allan.

Stylus

• Stadium Tour
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DJRAJBAROT
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 08:59:49 AM »
ello Mr Strawberry
                         I'm delighted to welcome you to this wonderful forum & trust that you will feel very much at home by way of fusing in with the very amicable members on here. I like the sound of your background & journey through music.               WELCOME    :)   Stylus :)

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 10:27:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum, pull up a chair and enjoy yourself.

diadem

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 10:34:17 PM »
Hi strawb, you look juicy!  ;D  Welcome, let's have a jam!  ;)

(Sorryyyyyyyyy!!!)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 11:16:24 PM »
Hey Pete! Welcome aboard the best darned songwriter forum this side of the future.

Aim high is a noble way forward. I've always aimed high, and I think I've progressed more quickly because of it.

I hope you enjoy the forum, and we look forward to sampling your songs :)

Tone
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

BooBoo

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 04:33:55 PM »
What a great username! Welcome to the forum, hope you have fun!
VOTE FOR JUNE LOTM!!!!!!!

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 08:19:59 AM »
Hiya! Welcome to the forum...you officially have the best username (although your picture is making me rather hungry...)
Hi strawb, you look juicy!  ;D  Welcome, let's have a jam!  ;)
Okay caco now those puns are berry bad!
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Homeless Recluse

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 11:26:13 AM »
Hi Mr Strawberry, I look forward to hearing your songs :)

RyanHalsey

• Busker
  • Forum Official Drummer
    • Pro drum tracks online
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 10:21:05 AM »
Hi pete,

This is great place for support and feedback, the digital recording world can be a bit daunting but stick with it!

Ryan