konalavadome

"Forgetting Last Friday"

• 31 Replies

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 07:49:38 AM »
Hey Dogmax! Awwww bless ya! "Great talents" i like it!!!  But the creativity was entirely Boydie's on this. And so was the vast majority of the skill - I just sang! I'm so proud to be on this track!  ;D ;D ;D

Boydie sent me two versions of his pre-production track - one with him singing (which i already thought was pretty cool - like stylus said, it was quite The Cure-ey) and one with no vocals. Then i had a bash at recording my version of the vocals, with Boydie's no-vocals version on the earphones. Sent him 9 straight takes for him to pick and choose and work his Boydie magic with his amazing bag of tricks.

I don't know what he did, but i know it sounds 1000% better after he did his thing!

It actually blows my mind what it's possible to do with technology. I literally had no idea. I actually still think it's magic!!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 08:29:40 AM »
Thanks CaCo

And just to clarify...

I ASKED CaCo for 9 takes - she certainly didn't need to do 9 takes as every single one was absolutely cracking

I wanted to play with some new toys in Sonar X3 (mainly comping and Melodyne) so I wanted LOTS of different vocal tracks to play with to create a single lead vocal from lots of takes, create a different double vocal, use Melodyne to create harmonies, use Melodyne to insert a key change etc.

It is also worth bearing in mind that the vocals were recorded using the built in mic in an IPad!!!!!  :o
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 08:35:25 AM »
Did you use Melodyne for the harmonies? Impressive Boydie.

Also - I'm amazed at the vocal quality recorded from an iPad!!!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 09:40:55 AM »
Did you use Melodyne for the harmonies?

Yup - ALL harmonies and the WHOLE of the vocals after the guitar solo were manually "transposed" in to the new key using Melodyne - including the harmonies, which was a pretty massive shift for some of them!

As I said previously, on their own you can tell there has been some "jiggery pokery" but I am pleased with the result "in the mix"

Overall I have been very impressed with Melodyne

@ TOKENANGMOH

I almost switched to Sonar for the Melodyne integration, but I'm just too attached to my Reaper workflow. Now you're making me think again...

The new ARA Melodyne integration within Sonar X3 is insane - it is so integrated it is like having a "Piano Role" for audio

I also got a crazy upgrade deal to upgrade to Melodyne Editor - which is polyphonic so you can correct a wrong note WITHIN a chord!!!!

Drop me a PM if you want any more info on X3

tokenangmoh

• Solo Gig
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 12:41:46 PM »
Yes, I love the Direct Note Access feature. I don't even understand how it can be possible - it's certainly the most impressed I've been with music technology. Fortunately, DNA is not a Sonar exclusive, so us poor Reaper folks can join in the fun!

I think owning Melodyne Editor means I would qualify for a cheaper price on Sonar, but the website was a bit unclear last time I checked. Anyway, it's academic at the moment: I have too many songs to do too quickly, so now is not the time to change my workflow. Still, I may take you up on your PM offer in the distant future, so thanks!

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 02:57:39 PM »
Beautifully produced and performed song - reminded me of something The Bangles would have recorded back in the good old days. Catchy writing - very appealing and good guitar break. I hadn't read Digger 72's comment but he also got the Bangles thing. It has a retro feel which I like (I hate the way modern pop records sound) and I think this could be a hit record in the right hands. No offence to CaCo who sang it beautifully but I mean an established artist.

Awesome stuff.

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 04:09:03 PM »
No offence to CaCo who sang it beautifully but I mean an established artist.

Awesome stuff.

Don't you know who i am????? *storms off in a diva huff*

;D ;D ;D ;D

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 12:38:23 PM »
I totally enjoyed listening to this pop tune guys :) it's so very catchy and caco's vocals were amazing :)
it's one that will stick in your head for a long time :) and of course the guitar is awesome and the production is stellar  :) :) CS
there's been so much talk about Melodyne in this thread and coincidentally, I just realized I have Melodyne as a plug in in my garage band...now I just have to learn how to use it :) :)

garys2811

• Open Mic
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 10:41:41 PM »
Poptastic mate ! Loved what you did with the vocals, Guitars sound great and its a great pop song. You've got to grips with the new software. Not half !
Garys2811

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 09:56:55 AM »

Hey guys,

Really like this.  great vocals, sounds very commercial to me.
  Only thing that occurred to me, when I listened to it, was that the lead break was a
  'tad' predictable ;D ;D

I KNOW you can do better than that Boydie ;D ;D ;D

But those vocals....WOW

Excellent song guys....thanks

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 08:44:22 PM »
Only thing that occurred to me, when I listened to it, was that the lead break was a
  'tad' predictable Grin Grin

I KNOW you can do better than that Boydie Grin Grin Grin

LOL - BUSTED!!!!

Good spot BIN!

This was just the "scratch" solo I put in as a placeholder for something more fantastical I was going to put in at a later date

However, at the last minute I decided to "pull back" in an effort to make the song a bit more "poppy" and not so rocky...

...and I find it really interesting that you mentioned the word "predictable" as that was kinda what I was going for - a typical, predictable, pop/rock solo that doesn't "stand out" as I wanted to showcase the "song" and CaCo's wonderful vocal

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 06:53:28 PM »
Well this is a fun little tune isn't it!

I have just jumped in after a run of edits so I am guessing the funny chord and mix niggles have been sorted

The song is good fun! The lyrics are good pop fare for the style. Not deep but say what they should!

I like the bass line with some simple movements.

The sounds are very early 90s as is the mix in general, which others have picked up on. Its very clear though. Perhaps with some modernising this could be a Katy Perry Style number (although she has done a Friday song already!)

The vox are very crisp esp for iPad. But this does of course mean they are a little thin and have sibalence issues, which is not somethign you can prevent. Amazing what an iPad CAN do though!

I can't spot much of the melodyne stuff so it is clearly done well, good work!

Anything else you wanted comment on in particular ping me a PM!

Good fun song, but not one to tout to the pop market at least in the current guise

James x
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 09:53:09 PM »
Another belting Pop number with Boydie stamped all over it ;)

One hell of a production and one hell of a vocal performance from Caco- that vocal seems like a glove fit for the song. A bouncy wee number that progresses nicely but at the same time is very catchy and that 'forgetting last Friday' is a hell of a hook line. Loving the guitar on this one with the driving bass and lively drums completing the Pop feel to it.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 05:54:32 AM »
What's left to say that hasn't already been said?  Just WOWWWWW.... Both of you.  This was (to my ears) incredible.  The only thing negative I can think of is how high it sets the bar for the rest of us.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 07:16:03 PM »
Boydie am I the only one who's really worried at how well you write as a woman... ;D It's actually such a good pop song and I like the return of my best friend the synth.
I also really like the song that plays after by digger72...
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle