new to song writing

• 10 Replies

mr_T

• Busker
« on: July 01, 2009, 09:04:50 AM »
hi there, my names Tim and Im new to writing songs. I've been playing the guitar for nearly a year and I really want to write my own songs but I just don't know how to get started?
What should I write about, and how do you know what chords to use? I love music, but I really need some help getting going.
Thanks
Tim

jessie

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 10:36:29 AM »
Hiya Tim
You look a lot like Jon Bon Jovi! lol!
I'm in a similar situation, I have written some songs but I can't finish mine - I end up thinking they are all rubbish! You can play the guitar which is a great start, try to write about something that is really personal, like an experience you had that means a lot to you. I can't really help with what chords to use because I just use the ones that sound nice! I don't have any idea about music theory, but I would think you have come to the right place to get advice.

Good luck!
:) Jessie

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 03:04:37 PM »
What should I write about, and how do you know what chords to use?
It can be hard if you've never written a song before, and don't expect it to come easily at first.  Like all things, practice is the key.  I can't speak for everyone, but this is what worked for me:
Learn other peoples songs, and lots of them.  You'll get a feel for how a song is structured, and what chord combinations work well together, and how atmospheres are created.  Then, when you find yourself playing around with a tune or some chords, go with it. It's never worked for me to try and decide what to write a song about before having something to work with.
If you really need a concrete starting point, take your favourite song, learn it, then play the chords backwards on your guitar. Try and write a tune to the new chord progression.
Good luck
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

jessie

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 07:40:31 PM »

If you really need a concrete starting point, take your favourite song, learn it, then play the chords backwards on your guitar. Try and write a tune to the new chord progression.
Good luck

Wow! What a great idea! I never thought of doing that!  :D

Captain Andy

• Busker
    • Captain Andy
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 09:26:11 PM »
Best way to figure out what chords to use is to learn as many chords as possible.
Chords that work in other people's songs will work in yours as well.
Spend lots of time pottering with chords, putting them into different sequences, try lifting a finger off or putting one down occasionally and see if it adds any flavour to the music.
Usually about four chords is all it takes to make a good song, sometimes even less.

Guy

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 10:03:33 AM »
Great advice Andy - this has worked for me too.  Also try sliding open chord shapes further up the guitar neck. This can create some quite nice sounds.

Captain Andy

• Busker
    • Captain Andy
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 04:27:22 PM »
Great advice Andy - this has worked for me too.  Also try sliding open chord shapes further up the guitar neck. This can create some quite nice sounds.

Indeed.
Also, it can be good to experiment with how you play chords. You don't have to just strum them.
I often find picking patterns out of them or strumming them at distinctive rhythms etc. can make them loads catchier.

aaron

• Busker
  • apprentice rockstar
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 09:28:09 PM »
just sit down with the guitar and a note pad and don't get up till youve written a song. if it's sh!t throw it away and write another one the next day. you;ll soon get a feel for it. dont worry about what to write, just start to play and sing and write whatever comes out

kip4

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 08:24:47 PM »
all fair points
yep i started by ghost writing too. Take the chords from a song that you may or maynot be familiar and use the same chords to write your own song with them.
write a new lyric (easy said) and write your own melody too.
this way your songs will be complete.
start by using a time tested format ( i hate that word too)
like verse chorus verse verse chorus verse chorus
for example
formats is not something that most new songwriters like however its a proven technique that sells songs and records so although it might not sit well, it is commercial and every songwriter wants theere songs to reach as many people as possible so dont ignore it

theres some great books out there on the subject too
such as jason blumes

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 08:56:22 PM »
Hi Kip4 - thanks for your contribution, and welcome to the forum :)

Feel free to tell us about yourself on the introductions forum.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

espeach

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 03:12:39 PM »
Writting for the sake of writting will usually find you frustrated, the more you try to think of something the further away it seems. 

it depends on why you write songs i suppose.  I agree with a previous poster in that for the song to reach a large audience there has to be a format that is commercially however i don't think this is always the case. 

The greatest songs (not necesarily the most successful) but the greates nonetheless are those with meaning... A song that when listened to the listener can say wow I know exactly what the writter was feeling when he/she wrote that.  The beauty of music is the power it has to affect the human mind and spirit.  Some songs can whack a smile on your face within the first bar others can grab your heart and pull it out of your A***

Listen to your heart when you write, ask yourself what you feel about the subject, be it a person, an event, a place, a relationship whatever...

There was a 1 year gap between my very first song and my second.  I wrote the first having learned only 3 chords on the guitar lol but it worked and it made me want to learn more. 

Don't be too hard on yourself and NEVER throw lyrics away!!!  It might sound s*** to you now but in a few months time you';ll be writting another song and suddenly you'll think hey that part of that other song would fit in great... it happens all the time... Keep everything you write, every idea every word is your creation! 

And most important NEVER NEVER give up... if you're stuck, put it away and take a break, it will come to you.
:D