A song in G minor

• 4 Replies

Gwynge

• Busker
« on: October 26, 2013, 02:42:43 AM »
I created this a few years ago, everything done in one take (so as to set your expectations of how polished it isn't).
I don't write lyrics and I haven't found a good vocal melody.
But welcome feedback and any ideas for a vocal line / lyrics.
Is it even interesting?

https://soundcloud.com/gwyn-carwardine/a-song-in-g-minor

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 11:03:30 AM »
Hi, not a bad chord progression reminded me of Life on Mars by Bowie in places. The droning guitar in the first half need some work, it becomes distracting after a while. Bass is good. The guitar solo around 1.40 starts promisingly, but loses steam towards the end. Not sure about the repeating keys theme around 2.30 :-\.That said, with a decent lyric and a good melody this could be a good song. ;D ;D.
Good luck!
Cheers
Jamie

jmacdon

• Solo Gig
  • Give me a lyric and I'll give you a song
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 09:39:13 PM »
Hi Gwyn
Thanks for posting.  G minor is a great chord, and of course a lot of people know that which makes this track rather predictable i'm afraid.  But, it can be saved - it needs a lyric and vocal to save it - i'm thinking early Colloseum II here (early 70's prog rock band for you youngsters). This track is not going to be star quality - unless you are writing theatre scores - but it's an inoffensive, enjoyable, lovely to listen to, MOR track, so well done!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 01:05:49 AM »
I created this a few years ago, everything done in one take (so as to set your expectations of how polished it isn't).
I don't write lyrics and I haven't found a good vocal melody.
But welcome feedback and any ideas for a vocal line / lyrics.
Is it even interesting?

https://soundcloud.com/gwyn-carwardine/a-song-in-g-minor

Hi Gwynge:  This is real interesting.  The "droning guitar" someone mentioned goes away (as they said) with a vocal.

I'm real busy, but I do have an ability to add vocals quickly and easily.  And, after listening, I suspect that I have an existing lyric (called "Kill the Messenger") that would fit your instrumental seamlessly, and is similar in tone.  

If someone else volunteers to add vocals/lyrics, take them up on it.  If no one else does, then get back to me as a last resort.  You can look at several of my lyrics by looking at past posts here.

In my opinion, the musical bridge here is something special.  Very nice.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:08:10 AM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 08:19:06 PM »
Very Bowie I agree.

I can easily hear a vocal to this track.

I'd lose the drum break unless they're real.

More guitars. Add some percussion too to liven the rhythm track up.

I enjoyed it though.

Alan.