Rhysian, Live, 18/10/13

• 14 Replies

Rhysian

• Busker
« on: October 18, 2013, 11:08:36 AM »
Hello and welcome to my Open Mic performance. 

This first song is about how I always look forward to certain aspects of winter until winter actually arrives!

This is my attempt at a happy love song.

And finally, my mother's favourite. A song about my imaginary happy place that exists in my head and is where I mentally retreat to when the kids are annoying me.

Thanks for watching, I hope you enjoyed.

Rhysian x

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »
Thought that was a really good set,you`ve put on....folk seems to come naturally too you  ;)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 06:28:17 PM »
Rhysian,
Well done, nice and clear and love the fingerpicking.
The lyrics and melody of the winter one work really well together.

Just one point regarding continuity - hair up, down, up? and unless I'm mistaken there seemed to be an absence of any hat? 
 :)
Neil

ps my my Mum just humours me and has never said she had a favourite :-(
songwriter of no repute..

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 09:46:54 AM »
I'm away for the weekend and the connection is poor, ill watch when I get back :)

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »
Fabulous!! Oh all you people who can play AND sing.......I'm so envious!!

Three really lovely songs, thank you so much!

Rhysian

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 07:21:57 PM »
Thanks everyone. :-)
Neil, can I get away with claiming that the hair/costume changes were for artistic purposes? I'm sure people like Gaga et al go through a number of image changes per show LOL

Rhysian x

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 08:36:49 AM »
Really enjoyed those, especially the 'Happy Love song'  some good energy in that song and I thought you took the melody line to some really good places on that song.

These open mic threads are rally great as we can put some faces to the people we have all come to know and I think it all helps to get to know each other.

Its not easy doing these videos so 'hats off to you' for make such a fine job of it.

Allan.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 10:27:46 AM »
Hiya
You have a lovely voice. I agree, no 'costume' or hair changes would've given better continuity (more of an appearance that it is an actual 'open mic' - all at the same time)

Pictures of winter was my favourite, The meadow a close second.

I'm wondering - are people using 'standard' digital cameras for the films (i.e. not a camera especially for film).
I'm sure yours, like mine claim they record in HD...but no matter what I do, I can't seem to get as good quality/definition as some more professionaly vids, e.g:

So is my camera, lying when it says it is HD, are there some other qualities a camera needs for good picture, or do I just need to get better at lighting and stuff :D?

Rhysian

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 11:21:03 AM »
I don't really know very much about cameras and video making. I used a Sanyo Xacti which claims to be a "digital movie camera".  The quality seems ok for what I need :-)

Rhysian x

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 08:47:48 PM »
I believe there are a few factors in play here.

1.  HD comes in a couple of flavours 720 and 1080. Obviously 1080 is way better so check if your camera can do 1080'

2. The video you posted appears as if the camera was mounted on a tripod. Ill pu that down to good technique. Good technique in video and still work, is not to be under estimated.

3. The quality of the lens is also a huge factor. A good quality lens will be faster so will be able to shoot in lower light, will be crisper and clearer and will also give you more options with depth of field.

4. The processing of the clip and compression that you give it before uploading to google. There is some vety good software out thre than sharpen and add some gloss to your movies just like mastering a song.

Put all these points together and you can see why it is hard for newcommers to match the production quality of the pro's.

Allan.

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 07:13:43 PM »
Lovely set of songs Rhysian, really nice, not at all what I was expecting, come to think of it I don't think I'd heard you at all before this. My fave is the Meadow, I really like the folky repetition and fingerpicking. This song could work really well as a bigger production, in a kind of 'I'd like to teach the world to sing' New Seekers kind of way..

Excellent, thanks for joining in on the Open Mic Sessions.

hab..

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 08:08:13 AM »
Lovely voice, super, easy playing and a warm,friendy presence. Good quality video and sound. This open mic suits you perfectly - you have everything needed for a successful live performer. Material suits your style and leaves me feeling happy and positive about life. Thanks for sharing.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 04:48:59 AM »
 3 very beautifully performed songs Rhysian :) you have a soft realxing presence in front of the camera and I liked the hair and costume change :) you have a lovely voice and play very well  :) I can see why The Meadow is you mom's favourite :) so nice to put a face to your beautiful songs  :)
thanks so much for doing this  :) CS

Rhysian

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 11:31:45 AM »
Thanks for the lovely comments everyone.  I really appreciate them. If I keep hanging around on this site then my confidence levels will go through the roof with all of these compliments  ;)

Rhysian x

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »
Sorry for the late reply, I'm just catching up after my life suddenly turned left.

Really impressed, singing and finger picking at the same time. You've got a really good voice. I liked Pictures of Winter best.

diadem