konalavadome

Fraud...?

• 11 Replies

AnneMeow

• Busker
« on: October 16, 2013, 10:06:59 AM »
Hello.
I won't bore you with all the specifics, I'll just cut to the chase:
I was wondering, has anyone ever heard of Sunset Boulevard Records Company?
And does it make sense that after selecting my song-lyrics for recording & production, they'd ask me to pay 85$ for the "songwriter studio administration fee, which covers all in-studio costs such as studio engineers, editing and sound mixing"?

also, I can't find anything about them on google, and they don't have a twitter or facebook account. SHADY.

please help,
thanks!  :)

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 10:37:12 AM »
You don't really need someone to tell you it's a money grabbing scam do you?

There's a general rule for publishers and record companies -

A good/decent/professional one will never ask you for money. It's YOUR song that is going to make the money so it's down to them to invest time and/or money to make it happen.

After all, it's their decision that your song is good enough to sign.

Alan.

AnneMeow

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 11:53:17 AM »
thanks for your answer.

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 12:07:25 PM »
No probs Anne.

I had songs selected by Canadian American records and was then informed by them that they wanted hundreds of $ towards promotion.

Not good. Obviously, I didn't sign anything with them.

A heads-up to everyone....

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 12:49:39 PM »
+1 to Alan's comments

You were right to be suspicious about them asking money so well done for spotting that one

The last few posts of this thread are probably worth a read to let you know you are not the only one:

http://www.songwriter101.com/forums/viewthread/89765/

Interestingly this is also very recent so I guess this is a "new" "label" - anyone can register a name (and the fact they have strung together a few famous words is also an "alarm bell")

I would chalk this one up to experience and pat yourself on the back for spotting the scam!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 06:36:47 PM »
There's a lot of very dodgy people in this business. One I came across a few years ago was an American chap called "Bruce", he was on a couple of the US Singer/songwriter forums and seemed to always take a lot of interest in the younger girls - saying he could get them record deals etc, etc.

To the young and impressionable I'm sure he came across like someone with connections, however it was clear to a number of us that he was, at best delusional - at worst, I'd hate to think! He quit when confronted but I'm sure scuttled off someowhere else.

Yep - a lot of dodgy people in this biz!

Bernd

• Solo Gig
    • Bernd's Lyrics
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 07:21:13 AM »
I don't know them. But they sound just like any other 'demo service'. Services that charge lyricists for creating ready-made songs to match their lyrics. Of course they have to charge for their service because that's how they make money. There are cheaper ones and more expensive ones, good ones and less good ones. They exist to massage the egos of aspiring lyricists.

Note that a SONG is music first and a few matching words. Lyrics are not songs, without music they're poetry at best.

Cheers,
Bernd
Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician
likes rock but writes for anybody anyway ;-)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 09:55:12 AM »
"They exist to massage the egos of aspiring lyricists.

Note that a SONG is music first and a few matching words. Lyrics are not songs, without music they're poetry at best."

No they exist to make money by creating a finished ,high quality song.There are some very successful 'songwriters' out there that only write lyrics....why ? because they understand structure ,have a gift for word phrasing...in essence they can create a song mentally without picking up an instrument...i can do both .

Note that a SONG is music and words.....the only point your right on is that lyrics are not a song,but if you think there poetry...then your'e sadly mistaken.....you neither understand poetry ,or lyrics....one is to be read,the other sung.

I use these studio's as is now known, i submit both lyrics and demos....and a song in 'masterd form' is created.No ones ego is being massaged..the only thing that's of any importance is the song,it matters not how it was created or by whom....

Bernd

• Solo Gig
    • Bernd's Lyrics
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 02:01:19 PM »
Obviously, a demo service has, or should have, a studio - but that's not the point. To have professional musicians record your song properly is something completely different from having some BIAB-Backing track put behind your lyrics and some semi-professional singer improvise a tune on top of them. By the way, you would not get musicians plus the studio and engineering time for $85. $1.000 and more would sound more like it.

Sometimes it helps to read the context before answering ;-)

I'm a lyricist, not a poet, by the way, although there are about 150 lyrics out of 400 that have not been set to music yet (so they are not songs, neither poetry - hence "... at best"). I'm not a pro, but rather productive, writing for several live bands and the odd solo musician.

I've also written for a producer who produces demos for singers in Germany. Depending on what they contribute themselves - from nothing through complete songs that just are not properly produced - he actually may compose melodies for them, or even write the whole song (where I sometimes contribute the lyrics). His service is semi-professional, and he does not master the songs - although to my ears his productions sound very professional. He charges between 300 and 800 Euros, which I would consider a true bargain. These songs serve to present the singers. They are not meant to be pitched - although obviously none of the people involved would mind if one or the other was picked.

As far as I could make out, Anne writes lyrics that she calls songs (you might check out her other posts).

Cheers,
Bernd
Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician
likes rock but writes for anybody anyway ;-)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
I agree that $85 will get you nothing of quality.......$1k is about the right amount for a full sounding song.

She can if she wants too,call her lyrics songs, if in her mind,she hears how it will all play out,,,how anyone writes and doesn't experience this is beyond me ,except to say, their lyrics probably don't work,are akin to a letter,short story or some other anecdotal references....lyrics are a particular discipline ....you think you understand this but i suggest you do not.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 07:48:31 PM »
Don't forget we are talking about a scam here

They are giving the impression that they are interested in signing the song and that the $85 is an "admin fee"

They are not actually saying they will re-record the demo - I am sure these costs will come later...

It is the same scam as the "I run an agency and you could be a model...you just pay me ££££ to take photos for a portfolio" line

Massaging egos and taking advantage of people with stars in their eyes

This is very different from companies being upfront and offering "demo" services
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 06:29:38 PM »
Agreed!

I bet that following payment of the $85 demo fee, another fee would suddenly materialise. Since you're already in for the first charge there's a greater incentive to pay it.....and so on.

Not dissimilar to the Nigerian Prince who wants to send you his millions  ;D