Selling Songs

• 5 Replies

myradio

• Busker
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:11:25 AM »
I've been writing songs for a little while and sending them to different artists managers in hopes of them getting picked up. I had one of my songs bought but I've literally sent out almost 100 songs. I usually write a song with my producer, and after the songs finished, we write a list of the Top 5 artists that we think the song would be a good fit for. I get the artists contact information off bookingagentinfo.com, and I usually email their managers. I sometimes get responses if there's any interest, but most times no. I have done this a lot and only sold 1 song, I'm wondering if anybody has a better strategy for selling songs.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 12:27:19 PM »
I would suggest pitching to publishers rather than the artists directly - either as well as or as an alternative strategy

You have done exceptionally well to get 1 song picked up

The trouble with pitching directly s that you may not have a "quality control" mechanism as part of the process

I can say this as I haven't heard your stuff yet - but have you considered it isn't good enough?

By pitching to publishers if you get some interest you can work on forming relationships, get feedback, and work together to fine tune your pitches

Pitching directly to artists has the potential of getting a bad reputation with them as they may see you as "pestering"

Many artists/management would not even entertain an "unsolicited" pitch so you could be wasting time, money and energy

There is also a certain way of conducting a "pitch" - are you "selling" in the right way, how good is your covering letter etc ?

It is also all about "timing" - are you pitching at just the right time when an artist is actually looking for material?

Are you pitching to artists that perform other people's material?

There are lots and lots of different factors involved that would improve your chances - a good publisher would know all of the these "tricks" and should have built up contacts and relationships to exploit these opportunities when the come up

There are pitching services available (Taxi, Audio Rokit, SongLink etc.) so these may be worth investigating

You are clearly doing something right as you have sold a song so I would take encouragement from that

The only other thing I would add is that everything in the music industry seems to take a loooong time!

It is taking weeks and weeks for me to sort out a publishing deal that has been offered to me - they seem super keen but it is weeks between emails - so I do think it is a bit of a patience game as well!

I would suggest posting some track here in the reviews section for some "non-friends and family" feedback and I would really look forward to hearing them

Good luck
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:30:14 PM by Boydie »
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

myradio

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 05:29:59 PM »
Wow probably the most useful information that I have gotten. Any other resources that you could point me towards would be great. Very thankful for the info

myradio

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 05:31:49 PM »
Also, I'm a little skeptical with using pitching services like Taxi. Has anybody had any success with them?

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 11:25:38 PM »
I share your skepticism about TAXI - however if you have a good catalogue of songs to pitch it is a damn site cheaper than relocating to Nashville!

I would definitely recommend Jason Blume's book "six steps for songwriting success" as a resource

Not only does it cover "songwriting" it is clearly focussed on writing songs to sell and pitch - as well as advice on pitching etc.

I consider it a "must read" for anyone wanting to write for commercial success

You have also found the other great resource - this very forum!!!

Get some of your stuff posted for review

You won't agree with all of the reviews (which is fine) but I think you will definitely get a few ideas of how to improve your tracks

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

myradio

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 07:21:46 AM »
Thanks again Boydie. By the way, checked out the music on your Soundcloud page. Great stuff!